Options

Best exam to start MCITP cert path

Question for someone career changing, of sorts.

I used to do WAN support, but don't really want to go the Cisco route just yet. Getting back into I.T., but not sure which exam I should start my MS studies with.

Do I go with something like 680, Win 7?

or pursue 640 AD?

Any help and suggestions are appreciated.

I will be doing all self studying. I've got Test out, MS books, etc.

Comments

• Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I started with 640, but that was over a year ago when 680 didn't exist, and I had no motivation to do 620 because it didn't seem useful to my job at all (admittedly I didn't look into the material particularly deep).

I ended up taking 680 last, to finish the EA, and I'm glad I waited since the material was useful and interesting to me. So, if I was starting now, I'd probably go with the 680.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    GagHalfruntGagHalfrunt Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would second doing the 70-680 (Win7). I actually did the 70-620 (Vista) but always nice to start with a Client exam methinks even though I found the 680 much harder than the 620.
  • Options
    crisb20crisb20 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I started with the 640. I had no on the job experience with AD, but I have messed around with AD in a lab environment before studying for the exam. I would also consider myself more of an expert on wide area networking, but whenever I do any task I like to get the hardest parts done first. If your background is in wide area networking then the 640 & 643 (what i'm working on now) I think present the biggest challenge. But if you understand networking you should have no problems picking up on server babysitting.
  • Options
    howiehandleshowiehandles Member Posts: 148
    I'm really just trying to get back inti I.T. ASAP. I'm sure the CCNA would open doors for me, but when I've done the WAN stuff, the hours were lousy.

Eventually I'd like to be a server admin, I know I wouldn't get that right away, but would hope to be a jr or something with a few certs. Nothing wrong with help desk, except the money. But I guess it all depends on where you get in. I want to eventually get my MCITP in Enterprise Admin, but gotta start somewhere.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I took the 620 and tackling 640,642 now. I've heard the 680 is a lot harder than the 620 (Vista). If you already have some experience you should probably take the 640 first.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    2ndchance2ndchance Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've always considered myself a networking guy, but my boss recently proposed to pay for my study materials and exams if I would become an MCITP. I was planning to get my CCNP next, but my current employer will benefit more from me getting current with server administration, so that may mean I won't have to change jobs in order to get the salary increase I need.

I'm starting with the 640 instead of the 680, but that is because this is the area where we need expertise.

Good luck to everyone!
  • Options
    2ndchance2ndchance Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    One thought... the 640 exam appears to assume that you already have a strong grasp of operating system fundamentals. I would say go after the 680 if you feel you need a refresher on the basics of Windows operating systems.

Also, read this article:

Cisco, Microsoft certifications increase high-tech salaries

Apparently the MS certs are in highest demand. Most of the network engineer jobs I've seen are looking for CCNP or even CCIE. I am, however, seeing network admin jobs that focus heavily on Microsoft Server technologies and a CCNA for good measure.
  • Options
    BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
    83-640 I think might be a good one for you to start with. Provides the fundementals for the Windows 2008 examination process.
    EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete