IBM Hardware

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
Anyone that work with IBM hardware use the Server Guide/Server Manager CDs? I know they come with tons of hardware purchases but I'm not sure how "real world" they are. Anyone?

Comments

• eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Anyone that work with IBM hardware use the Server Guide/Server Manager CDs? I know they come with tons of hardware purchases but I'm not sure how "real world" they are. Anyone?

I've never even seen them. I didn't look too hard, but I couldn't find much on IBM's site either.

What's on them?

MS
  • vintage_69vintage_69 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    We have a few old x225's that I've used what I think was the server guide cd to set up the raid controller and get the OS installed.

Was pretty slick from what I recall
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    We used to use them all the time for building xSeries servers. We used them for configuring RAID and installing an OS.
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    They contain the drivers and software to setup RAID on servers and blades from IBM and then load any drivers need for the OS to be installed. Then the CD ejects and you put in the OS CD which will install normally. They were useful for when dealing with Windows 2003 which didn't support SATA and such out of the box, where the server guide could preload all drivers without you having to hunt for things.

I haven't used them in a while and I was having trouble getting them to work with the blades we have at work. Just figured I'd ask about their usefulness.