Options

Question about Rack Spacing

SMR511SMR511 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
Is it a really bad idea to not leave a space between routers? My Lab space is getting crowded.

Will they actually overheat and become damaged? I never leave them on for more than a few hours at a time.

I know the obvious answer is "leave a space" but i'm wondering how many have had an actual hardware failure due to spacing? I'd like to keep everything in one rack unless I need to buy another.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    No need to leave a space. My labs at work fully populate each 48U+ rack will all devices running for months/years at a time. I have a photo somewhere of some Cisco routers used in Iraq (in the field). The chassis covers were removed to show the insides were practically full of sand/dust. If they don't fail in that kind of enviroment then they aren't going to fail in a home lab. However, if you are really worried about the heat then just configure the devices for SNMP traps emergency/critical (I forget which). One of them starts displaying the temps once the device starts getting too hot.
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Networking hardware is generally designed to be used in badly ventilated enclosed spaces like a wiring closet or cabinet. You're not going to be pushing anything at maximum capacity either so power consumption will be lower and therefore so will heat generated.
  • Options
    SMR511SMR511 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great to know. Thanks guys!
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CiskHo wrote: »
    I have a photo somewhere of some Cisco routers used in Iraq (in the field). The chassis covers were removed to show the insides were practically full of sand/dust. If they don't fail in that kind of enviroment then they aren't going to fail in a home lab.

Well, they can, and do fail in that environment- much more than they would fail somewhere else where the temperature isn't 120F, with dust everywhere. They undoubtedly hold up extremely well, but from personal experience, they eventually do succumb to either extreme weather sooner or later.

That being said, you'd be hard pressed to duplicate those conditions and cause your gear to fail. You should be good.