Exchange 2007 Question

brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
I'll be the first to say I know very little about exchange...nevertheless, i have been tasked with migrating email from an external exchange 2007 server (not ours) to an internal exhange 2007 server (we just got it).

All of the clients use Office 07, exchange is on server 2k3 R2 x64. I dont have any access to the former exchange server.

I dont know how to attack this problem. I've only got about 30 users to migrate. Should I be thinking something along the lines of using each client's import/export wizard ( i will have the time ), or copying .pst files?...I really dont know where to start with this one.

I've read through this page, but I dont think that is going to help me in this case.
You Had Me At EHLO... : Exchange 2007 Cross Org Mailbox Migration

Thanks

Comments

• astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Given that your only access to the old Exchange server is through Outlook, the PST approach is probably your best route (ugly as it may be, it is only for 30 users). The only problem will come with cutting over from the old to the new environment, do you perhaps have POP3 access into the old env?
  • brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I wont have anything from the old. We will be separating from that organization.
    So this is what I'm thinking, please correct me if I'm wrong.

To migrate from exchange on the old domain, it isnt going to be an actual 'migration'. I'll just have to export everyones rules and their mailbox, set up the new outlook account with the new exchange, then import their old mailbox. I think we will be able to get the old admin to forward their emails to the new address for a while, but thats about all I'll be able to get.

Does anyone have a stronger solution, or think that mine wont work?
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Tell us more...

Externally, what is changing for these people? SMTP domain, External IP address for email is changing?

You said you just got this Exchange 2007 server... has it already been installed and configured?

Did you have a mail server before you inherited these new people? If yes, is it Exchange? Which version?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    blargoe wrote: »
    Tell us more...

Externally, what is changing for these people? SMTP domain, External IP address for email is changing?
    Everything. External IP, domain, addresses.
    You said you just got this Exchange 2007 server... has it already been installed and configured?
    It is installed and configured. I can work in OWA or outlook with it right now and send email internally and externally. Autodiscover is configured as well. We are not going to put it in production yet though until we get the edge server up, which might be another couple of weeks (waiting on the hardware...i would have preferred a barracuda, but we're doing the exchange edge).
    Did you have a mail server before you inherited these new people? If yes, is it Exchange? Which version?
    No we did not have a mail server here, it was being done for us by a sister organization. This will be our first implemetation of our own hosted mail.

Sorry for the noobness, this is my first rodeo with exchange and I'm learning as I go.