Options

mcse or mcitp

majid67110majid67110 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi everybody
i am student of software engineering and it is only 1 year left to get my Bs.
i have decided to follow network path rather than software developing .
it is been about one month that i have decided to take part in mcse courses but as you all know there is a new version of mcse that it's name is MCITP .
and now i am really confused to which courses should i participate .
some people have advised me to participate in mcse classes first and then get updated to mcitp because they say there are a few companies that have 2008 windows servers . but i myself find it waste of money and time .
now i wanna you to advise me should i start with mcitp and then get the certification of MCITP and if it was necessary, i read mcse after that .
or no i should start with mcse and then mcitp.
please help me and say your suggestion clearly . i am really confused.

Comments

• Options
    30 persons have viewed but still no one has answered yet
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you're motived and interested in MCITP, then do it. By the time you graduate and are in the job market, the MCITP will be more useful than it is now.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you're motived and interested in MCITP, then do it. By the time you graduate and are in the job market, the MCITP will be more useful than it is now.

I agree with this. There is still server 2003 stuff out there (thus the MCSA/E still hold big weight) but by the time you graduate the MCITP will have gained acceptance. I have seen a big pick up in jobs requesting MCSA/E or MCITP. This shows that HR is recognizing the new certs.
  • Options
    thanks dudes for your suggestions .
    any more recommendation ...
    so according what i have concluded from your suggestions so far , it is better to start with mcitp because it will be more acceptable and more efficient by the time i graduate. i hope to see more reply posts from you experts .
    thanks again
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You know, I used 2003 since release. I decided not all that long ago to certify. So I strugled with this question. I decided that in the end, the MCITP is looked at as someone moving forward, whereas getting a cert for something I had obviously worked on for years... seemed a little like standing still.

I would urge you to go for the 2008. If you finnish it, and have time or your interviews show a need... then go out and get a 2003 cert. But your new, and your certs are new. I would urge you to look forward.

When I go out and plan an implementation, it is almost always not just 2008, but 2008 R2. And these implementations are rolling very fast. You should find the same.

Good luck in your career.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • Options
    BudzyBudzy Member Posts: 117
    Perhaps you start with one of the following client exams:

TS: Windows 7, Configuring (Exam 70-680) or
    TS: Configuring Windows Vista Client (Exam 70-620)

Both these exams count as credit towards the MCSA/MCSE as well as the MCITP EA.
    (Means you can take an exam while still deciding what track you want to do)
  • Options
    Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    I'll add my 2 cents worth since I am in a similar situation as you are. I would recommend working on the MCSE for 2003 FIRST, and then move on to 2008. Most places I have contact with are waiting awhile to use 2008 except for things they absolutely require (like read only DC's), but I think that 2003 will be around for a long time. ANd if you learn the 2003 stuff and move on to 2008 you will already know about 90-95% of the 2008 stuff - plus this will give you 2 levels of the OS that you know and you will also know the upgrade paths, etc...

You also should be able to pick up a copy of 2003 Enterprise edition fairly cheaply. I setup a 2003 lab, and now I am upgrading that to 2008. I figure this experience will help greatly when looking for a job. You have to pass 7 tests for the 2003 MCSE, but I considered 5 of them fairly easy. I could recommend taking the Windows 7 (70-680) exam as your Windows exam for the MCSE, because it will also count towards the MCITP. I made the mistake of taking the XP exam...

Either way you go you should do fine with either cert. I just think that there will be so many people using 2003 for a long time that the MCSE for 2003 will come in very handy. We still have a few NT 4.0 servers and there are also some 2000 servers as well.

Good luck.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    "I setup a 2003 lab, and now I am upgrading that to 2008. I figure this experience will help greatly when looking for a job."

It should help a lot. I'm now studying for the MCITP and before I even started I got familiar and set up a lab with Server 2003. Hands on experience is what you need for everything.
    Server 2003 is still out there and will be for some time now, especially in this economy. Do the MCSE and then get the MCITP.
    I go to WGU and they're just now switching to the MCITP, I couldn't have finished the MCSE before December so I switched my program to get the MCITP. There are less tests and now I'll be done with my BS and be an MCITP:EA by next March.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.