Which Route to take

staggerleestaggerlee Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

stumbled across this site and thought some of you more wiser people might be able to suggest a exam track to take.

Im currently half way though completing my Windows 2008 exams, and looking to move on from there to get a better grounding in the network side. Working on helpdesk in a large company at the moment and before that I was the solo tech for a small company (set up some windows exchange servers (isa, exchange)) so on that side im not to bad), but my basic knowledge of networking, hardware and security it quite poor.

Im looking for a good ground up knowledge base on routing, server hardware, security, i was originally looking at the Net+, then Sec+ and Server+, since they all seem to start at the bottom and build up, but everyone I’ve spoken to says that the certs aren’t really worth much in the modern market. And that a CCNA would cover all of the important aspects im interested in with a certification at the end that is worth more than the Comptia versions.

Any views/experience on which path would be more beneficial would be greatly appreciated.

Also sorry if this the wrong area to post in.

Comments

• DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    That's not real easy to answer, but here's some tidbits

If you're looking for routing, CCNA is much more valuable than Network+. However, if you just want a better understanding of how the pieces of the network fit together, the Network+ may fill in the holes for you. The work you did as a solo tech is much more than many others have done. You may know much more than you realize.

If you're looking at moving to another job, it depends on where you're going. Get the certification they value. Of course, you probably don't know what that job is.

Right now the U.S. Department of Defense highly values the Security+. On a similar note, I see the value of security knowledge and certifications really improving.

I do see job ads that require CCNA or Security+ certifications. I don't remember ever seeing a job that desired/required the Server+ certification.

The good thing about Security+ right now (and Network+) is that if you get it this year, you'll have it forever. If you get the CCNA, it can expire.

Another option is to ask people in your company what they value. If it's a large company, there may be room for you to move up with the right training or certifications. By expressing an interest in learning what they value, you may be valued more.

HTH,

Darril Gibson
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
    ISBN: 1439236364
    Security+ Blog
  • staggerleestaggerlee Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Darril,

Thanks for the reply and input, really appreciated.

I do like the looks of the Comptia exams, Next position up from where im at now seems to do: server hardware, some routing work, then helping with AD, SQL server and VoIP, so trying to cover those areas in my future training at home, work training is all MS only at present so the AD, SQL side is covered, leaving me server hardware routing and VoIP.

Do you have suggestions for VoIP, i see Comptia do a Convergence+ which covers it. But is that a worthy starting point?

Thanks again for reply :)
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    I haven't dug into the Convergence+ exam so can't speak to what it includes. You may want to post that question in the "Other CompTIA Certifications" forum on this site.

Or, you may want to query in one of the Cisco certification forums about VOIP.

Good luck,

Darril Gibson
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
    ISBN: 1439236364
    Security+ Blog
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    staggerlee wrote: »
    but everyone I’ve spoken to says that the certs aren’t really worth much in the modern market.
    It's the knowledge and skills you acquire while studying that are important. The Cert listed on your resume gives an HR wonk an easy thing to search for and help get your resume pulled from a pile (or database) of resumes.

There are lots of people with certifications who can't demonstrate the knowledge and skills that a certification implies they should have -- so for them, the certifications are worthless.

Convergence+ is an amusing little certification with a fruity bouquet and a precocious charm -- people with an interest in learning some vendor neutral VoIP fundamentals won't be disappointed.

If you do the Network+ first (and earn it before the end of the year) you get a life time certification. Then moving over to the Cisco CCENT (ICND1 exam) will reinforce some of the Network+ info and make the first part of studying for the Cisco ICND1 exam easier. Then you shift to the Cisco specific fun stuff and find out if you have the Cisco gene.

Once you pass the ICND1 exam and earn the CCENT, you have 3 years to decide if you want to continue and earn the CCNA (by taking the ICND2 exam -- or the single CCNA exam). As you advance through the Cisco Exams, they'll usually re-certify the lower level Cisco Certifications, but each exam is usually good for 3 years to apply towards a new certification. You usually always have the option to just re-certify what you have.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • staggerleestaggerlee Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi thanks Darril and Mike,

I think im definitly going for Net+ and then i shall see from there, what work and i want to do next :)

thanks for the help..

s