Can’t change password on Windows Server 2008

PiotrIrPiotrIr Member Posts: 236
Hi,

Could you help me to fix following issue please? I can’t find any solution.
I tried to change password when I’m logged over RDP (CTRL+ALT+END) to Windows Server 2008 and whatever I do I’m getting error: “Unable to update the password. The value provided for the new password does not meet the length, complexity, or history requirements of the domain.”
But unfortunately it meets…..

So basically I run Result Set of Policy Wizard for the user and got:
Enforce password history 24 passwords remembered
Maximum password age Not Defined
Maximum password age Not Defined
Maximum password length 9 characters
Password must meet complexity requirements Enabled

And I’m using password like: Dkj%4fdd8 or DJfkj%43*432 so they obviously meet rules. I also tried to change GPO and disabled complexity and changed length – no luck.

As I completely built Server and AD I’m sure there is nothing unusual in configuration. I also tried to reboot DC, login using couple of different users, use different machines – no luck. Whatever I do I’m getting the same error message for all users.

However I can change the password on Active Directory Users and Computer without any problems. It even prompts me when password doesn’t meet complexity requirements but if meet, it changes successfully.

I have Windows Server 2008 SP2 – up to date.

Has somebody had similar issue? Please help me as I almost lost hope…..

Comments

• phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I had a similar problem with a terminal server. When users would remote it, if they were prompted to change their expiring passwords, it wouldnt let them. Turns out the clock was off by 3 minutes from the DC. I fixed the clock, enforced an ntp policy and problem went away.

I wasnt aware of a Maximum password length policy, only a Minimum length policy. Typo?
  • PiotrIrPiotrIr Member Posts: 236
    Many thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately it is not a time problem in my case. I already have ntp policy on place so there is no difference in time between servers. I also tried to change password on DC and wasn't able.

With this "Maximum password length" is a obwiously my mistake. Should be Minimum icon_smile.gif

I just can't find reasonable explenation why it happends in this system....
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Anything in eventvwr?
    No. I even changed settings in GPO to log events when fail and success. Nothing, just shows that user tried to changed password and attampt faild.

DCDIAG hasn't showed anything as well.
    FYI

There is a bug in W2K8, so basically when you leave "Maximum password age Not Defined" you will get this problem.

It should be defined to 0 (or other value). Since I change the parameter my passwords started to work.