Options

UltraVNC Deployment Question

crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
A recent thread made me realize we have some UltraVNC users on here, so maybe someone can help me out with an issue I am having.

Started my job about two months ago, and found that we are using UltraVNC 1.0.0 - 1.0.2 on our network for client to client rdp. I am wanting to push out the newer version, 1.0.8.2, and reconfigure some options and get everyone standardized on MSLogon2 for connecting (some are using a password, some have MSLogon1, and some have MSLogon2).

The initial install of UVnc was done via silent install from batch file, either during imaging or psexec on existing pcs. Needless to say, I am not wanting to psexec 250 machines. So I found a program, Windows Installer Wrapper Wizard to enclose my call to the exe installer with custom parameters in an MSI file for GPSI deployment.

The problem I am having is the lack of documentation of UltraVNC. I realized the settings are no longer stored in the reg, but in the ultravnc.ini file. But I can't figure out how to push that file through the silent install. Usually you configure your INF that is called out in the batch file install.

So I am pretty much at a brick wall, and can't figure out how to proceed. Has anyone here been able to figure out what I am missing, or how did you do a deployment of a newer version?
MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration

Comments

• Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    I am not familiar with UltraVNC but I have used psexec to do exactly what you wanted using realvnc. I created a batch file that first uninstalled the old version of vnc, installed the new version of vnc, stopped the vnc service, applied the proper registry changes, started the vnc service, and made a log entry into a text file on the server indicating that it had completed.

You mention not wanting to psexec 250 machines...you dont have to do it by hand. Psexec will take a file as input and loop through file performing the action on each computer name or ip listed.

crrussell3 wrote: »
    A recent thread made me realize we have some UltraVNC users on here, so maybe someone can help me out with an issue I am having.

Started my job about two months ago, and found that we are using UltraVNC 1.0.0 - 1.0.2 on our network for client to client rdp. I am wanting to push out the newer version, 1.0.8.2, and reconfigure some options and get everyone standardized on MSLogon2 for connecting (some are using a password, some have MSLogon1, and some have MSLogon2).

The initial install of UVnc was done via silent install from batch file, either during imaging or psexec on existing pcs. Needless to say, I am not wanting to psexec 250 machines. So I found a program, Windows Installer Wrapper Wizard to enclose my call to the exe installer with custom parameters in an MSI file for GPSI deployment.

The problem I am having is the lack of documentation of UltraVNC. I realized the settings are no longer stored in the reg, but in the ultravnc.ini file. But I can't figure out how to push that file through the silent install. Usually you configure your INF that is called out in the batch file install.

So I am pretty much at a brick wall, and can't figure out how to proceed. Has anyone here been able to figure out what I am missing, or how did you do a deployment of a newer version?
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    If that is your only problem then make a gp logon script that copies the ultravnc.ini file from a shared drive. Or you could once again use psexec and force each computer to download it from a shared drive.
    crrussell3 wrote: »
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    I am not familiar with UltraVNC but I have used psexec to do exactly what you wanted using realvnc. I created a batch file that first uninstalled the old version of vnc, installed the new version of vnc, stopped the vnc service, applied the proper registry changes, started the vnc service, and made a log entry into a text file on the server indicating that it had completed.

You mention not wanting to psexec 250 machines...you dont have to do it by hand. Psexec will take a file as input and loop through file performing the action on each computer name or ip listed.

I do realize I can automate the psexec process, but then I have to constantly monitor what pcs have gotten it installed, etc. We have pcs that can be offline for days, go into sleep mode, etc all the time. Makes it difficult to "set it and forget it" like with gpsi, which can do everything for you.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration