Options

Electrical & Computer Engineering Degree from UTexas-Austin vs WGU Networking Degree

ck86ck86 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I've just one important thing to figure out to come to a final conclusion and would just like some input from you guys here.

Quick background on me, I'm coming out of 5 years of IT in the Army, active secret clearance. I plan to immediately work toward and get my CCNA (and CCNP after) and apply for a defense job when I get out in a couple of months.

I intend to work while doing school and work up to a masters over the next 6 years. I have decided I want to focus on network design/engineering. I am right now debating what type of degree/where to get it from for sure. My GI bill will cover whatever I do decide, so tuition isn't an issue.

I think that the ECE UT degree will be a bit more difficult, but would give me a better schooling foundation than an online degree. It would also limit my job opportunities while in school (would need to be in Austin area) rather than finding a suitable job and doing the online thing (was considering doing contractor IT work in Afghanistan for high pay for a year or two).

My question is, does where I obtain a degree typically play a large role long-term in my career opportunities? Would the electrical & computer engineering degree from University of Texas-Austin (top 10 computer engineer school I think?) hold a lot more weight than a networking degree through WGU?

Second question would be, is an Electrical & Computer Engineering degree the best fit for a network engineer? Computer Science doesn't seem as appealing to me. I've also considered MBA.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Options
    jeremy8529jeremy8529 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am enrolling in UTK next year for the same study actually. Usually when people think ECE they think more of a hardware or software engineer, but I have a feeling that someone with a degree in ECE and some cisco certs would look pretty deadly on a resume for a network engineering job. I'm just a senior in high school though, I'm sure the rest of the guys here can give you a better feel for things!

Best of luck!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think you're going to have a difficult time sticking with a program that is so far away from what you want to be doing. It's not women's studies, but you might struggle to stay motivated when working through advanced math courses when you know you're never going to apply that material in your day-to-day job of network design and configuring routers, switches, and firewalls. If you can teach yourself (or are already experienced with) the IT material, why not go for something with more of a business focus or something else that will round you out a bit more?
  • Options
    I agree with you dynamik and was somewhat leaning that way. I assume the depth of engineering I would learn would never be touched in the networking field and would be a lot of wasted knowledge. I'll admit I am pretty interested in what the degree would entail, but really don't see it being my knack as much as networking type stuff. MBA was my original plan long ago to pair with networking/IT and hopefully pick up a solid management spot eventually, but I also don't want to be one of those guys with a business degree and not enough IT type stuff to be amazing with both. Has anyone here had a lot of success pairing IT certs/experience with business administration?

Does it seem odd to anyone else that traditional schools don't offer hardly any IT-related programs, yet you have things like Network Engineer as one of the largest growing fields? The program WGU offers seems amazing and would cover exactly what I want/need to know for networking, but I can't get a real college experience with it..
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    kasel23 wrote: »
    My question is, does where I obtain a degree typically play a large role long-term in my career opportunities?

Yes. A degree from UT plus all of the connections that you make there will take you a long way career-wise.
    Would the electrical & computer engineering degree from University of Texas-Austin (top 10 computer engineer school I think?) hold a lot more weight than a networking degree through WGU?

Everyone's first goal should be to get a degree from an accredited school.

The second goal, if possible, should be to get a degree from a well-known, easily recognized school. An engineering degree from UT is going to take you much farther than any degree from WGU.

MS' theorem of undergraduate degrees - "The more you have to explain to someone where you got your degree and why it's valuable, the less valuable your degree actually is."
    Second question would be, is an Electrical & Computer Engineering degree the best fit for a network engineer?

Engineering is the practical application of basic science. That is what you will be learning in any engineering program worth it's salt.

What is known as network engineering in the job world is not what you'll study in an engineering program. Two different things IMO. Also IMO, if what you want to be is a network engineer then the WGU program is probably a better fit.

There are many many programs out there at various schools that throw in the word "engineering". If it doesn't contribute in some way to earning a PE credential, it is not really an engineering program.

BTW, the E&CE program at UT is tough as nails and will kick your ass.

MS
  • Options
    SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    UT-Austin is a phenomenal school (considered one of the public Ivies) and you would be a fool to pass up the opportunity to enroll there if it is presented to you.

I do agree with the others though. If networking is your passion, then get a business degree which will be more applicable to your chosen profession than would E&CE. Additionally, if you could possibly get into the MBA program at UT-Austin you'd be set for life. Their MBA program is one of the top 20 or so in the nation and is nothing to balk at.

I'm sure WGU is a fine university but it isn't in the same tier as UT and won't pay nearly as many dividends.
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • Options
    MS,

Thanks for the insight.

I've been stuck awake all night reading up on schools, programs, etc. 6:30AM here and no sleep and I had to look over my original post nearly ten times to fix very stupid mistakes. It's quite clear that the E&CE program at UT is pretty hardcore and more difficult than any network specific route would likely be. I really want to attend UT or A&M though and the E&CE programs look to be very intriguing...

JrSysAdmin-
    Thanks for the reply. I read that a few times tonight (the public ivy-league thing) and have noticed they're rank 10 for their MBA program as well. Quite the school.. and an amazing football team! ;) I suppose having Lockheed Martin right there in Austin would be nice too for some IT experience while schooling.

From the few replies so far I think UT is definitely the way to go and I just need to pick one of the two programs (E&CE or MBA).
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just for the record, I wasn't trying to discourage you from pursuing the ECE program if that's what you want to do. You could use your networking knowledge to compliment that and go work for Cisco or Juniper and help develop their networking devices. I was just saying that it didn't seem like the ideal choice if you wanted to go into network administration.
  • Options
    SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    MS,

Thanks for the insight.

I've been stuck awake all night reading up on schools, programs, etc. 6:30AM here and no sleep and I had to look over my original post nearly ten times to fix very stupid mistakes. It's quite clear that the E&CE program at UT is pretty hardcore and more difficult than any network specific route would likely be. I really want to attend UT or A&M though and the E&CE programs look to be very intriguing...

JrSysAdmin-
    Thanks for the reply. I read that a few times tonight (the public ivy-league thing) and have noticed they're rank 10 for their MBA program as well. Quite the school.. and an amazing football team! ;) I suppose having Lockheed Martin right there in Austin would be nice too for some IT experience while schooling.

From the few replies so far I think UT is definitely the way to go and I just need to pick one of the two programs (E&CE or MBA).

Just for clarification purposes...the MBA program is for grad school. You could do both the E&CE and MBA if you were really in the mood to punish yourself.
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • Options
    Dynamik, I didn't take what you said that way. What you said is true and my initial thoughts as getting an engineering degree in a competitive ECE program in order to do only networking doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It'd kind of be getting a 4-year degree to work flipping burgers. I have looked more into the program and will admit that it may be a little too "technical?" I guess. I don't really want to design processors and the inner-workings of robots.

With some more thinking, a conversation with my sister with an MBA, and some much needed sleep the business program seems to be much more to my liking. I have always been interested in a business degree and always had a thing for IT in general. A healthy mix of certifications and IT experience with eventually an MBA from a school like UT makes a lot of sense. So, my conclusion is that I'll pursue my undergrad in Business Administration with UT-Austin and try to work with somewhere like Lockheed Martin while in school and continue to develop my IT experience and certifications. End goal being landing my BBA while hitting 10 year IT experience with certs and a solid foundation. The best part is, I'll be getting paid to go to school!

Thanks again for all of the input here guys.
  • Options
    OoteROoteR Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    I think you're going to have a difficult time sticking with a program that is so far away from what you want to be doing. It's not women's studies, but you might struggle to stay motivated when working through advanced math courses when you know you're never going to apply that material in your day-to-day job of network design and configuring routers, switches, and firewalls. If you can teach yourself (or are already experienced with) the IT material, why not go for something with more of a business focus or something else that will round you out a bit more?

I wanted to be a sysadmin and possibly become more of a security guy.. It killed me to be taking stats, calc, etc, throughout my Computer Science degree... My grades show it in those classes. I probably have a 3.4ish GPA on all computer classes, and like a 2.5 on all the business, biology, chem, psych etc etc etc garbage I had to take to get a Bachelor's at the B&M school I went too..

Heed Dynamic's words..

If I could do it over again, I may have MINORED in CS/Networking and majored in business....
    2k11 Goals:
    VCP - Currently Studying
    MCITP:EA - 620 (done)