Options

Looking for an IT job with no experience or degree!

LearntocomputeLearntocompute Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone on the forums. I am trying to find an IT job but I have no experience in the field and I am trying to pursue a degree but I still haven't decided if I wanted to go to my local college or get an online degree. So, I have two questions that I hope someone with the experience and now how can hopefully answer. How can I get experience in the IT field if I can't find a job that will higher someone with none? Second this is for Human Resource managers or Hiring managers, what course of schooling should I go into to be best marketable. My local college is only an AA instead of a BA. But I do get alot of hands on training. If any other questions for me please just feel free to ask. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You can try to volunteer at a place. If you have a electronic recycling company near by that recycles computers/electronics and fixes/sells them, I would suggest trying to work there to start off. I used to work at one and I've put my hands on stuff from 2008 to 40 years ago. I also got to do alittle repair/troubleshooting on computers and customer service experience.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Experience is certainly a must. You are certainly going to need to pick up a couple certifications. Office certs, A+, MCITP: Consumer Support tech, CCENT would be just a few to look into.

As far as experience, ask at your church and local libraries. Also you school will most likely have programs.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hello everyone on the forums. I am trying to find an IT job but I have no experience in the field and I am trying to pursue a degree but I still haven't decided if I wanted to go to my local college or get an online degree. So, I have two questions that I hope someone with the experience and now how can hopefully answer. How can I get experience in the IT field if I can't find a job that will higher someone with none? Second this is for Human Resource managers or Hiring managers, what course of schooling should I go into to be best marketable. My local college is only an AA instead of a BA. But I do get alot of hands on training. If any other questions for me please just feel free to ask. Thank you.

Welcome to Techexams
    I’m not an HR Manager, but I ‘am an IT student.
    I would suggest going to your local Community College and getting an.A.A.S degree. Check to see if the college you choose has any credit transfer agreements with any four year colleges. Often Community and technical schools will create transfer agreements with 4 years colleges.
    I would suggest taking classes on campus, because it takes awhile to get used to the online class environment. Also, it’s been my experience that it is easier to take IT classes on campus, because you can have more experience with the technology. Additionally, when you take IT classes on campus it’s a lot easier ask questions and complete labs.
    How can I get experience in the IT field if I can't find a job that wills higher someone with none?
    There are a few ways.
    1. Volunteer match-I have found quite a few volunteer opportunities on this web site.
    VolunteerMatch - Where Volunteering Begins
    2.This site has some volunteer opportunities too, but it’s hard to navigate
    idealist.org - Welcome to Idealist.org - Imagine. Connect. Act.
    or volunteer at
    Free Geek
    Free Geek - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    a video on free geek YouTube - Welcome to Free Geek
    In addition to Portland, a number of other cities have started their own Free Geek organizations.[4]
    • Portland, OR ("the Mothership")
    • Fayetteville, AR
    • Central FL
    • Chicago, IL
    • Columbus, OH
    • South Bend, IN (Michiana)
    • Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    • Murfreesboro, TN (Born Again)
    • Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MN (Twin Cities)
    • Toronto, ON
    • Providence, RI Volunteer to fix computers
    Another tip I can offer is to type Volunteer to fix computers in_____ (In your google search bar) Insert your state where the blank line is, and you will get some good results.

I hope this helps
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Getting your AAS will b very beneficial, and cost wise, will save you when you move onto a 4 year school to get your bachelors. I would highly recommend getting your bachelors. Everything you can do to improve your marketability is a good thing. That includes certs and all of that too.

Now, finding an IT job without the experience or degree will be difficult. You would likely be looking at a entry level help desk position that doesn't require a degree, but will be competing against those who do have degree's but no experience that are willing to take the low pay of those jobs. You will have your work cut out for you. Another thing to consider is while you are working on your AAS, is to try to find an intern position with a local company and get your experience that way while you are working on your degree.

Of course, this all depends on where you live and the current job opportunites. Use every tool that you can use to help yourself get a break into the industry. Sign up for LinkedIn and join the local IT group. Network with those in the industry.

You are just starting your journey and right now the market is hard. I stepped down and took an entry level position after being laid off last year. I ended up taking a position that paid me 45% less than I was making prior to that. So basically I took a job that I normally would have scoffed at and rejected immediately in the past, but because of the job situation here I had to suck it up and eat my pride. Sad part of that, is that there is no real room for me to grow with my current company and I'm looking around still for a position where I can grow with a company and get me closer to the salary I was making in the past.

Once the economy picks back up and positions open up for guys like me with 3+ years of IT experience those entry level positions will be plentiful again. Although that may take a couple years to get back to that level, it would be great for you as you'll be wrapping up your AAS. I would still highly recommend that you continue your schooling to get your bachelors though. The last thing you want is for another recession to hit in 10 years or whatever and they'll eliminate you from consideration because you do not have that 4 year degree. Or the opportunities for you to advance in a company get limited because you lack that degree. Entry level, AAS is great. If you go for a more senior position, you'll likely be competing against those who do have those degree's.

Good luck and hopefully you'll get your break.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would suggest going to your local Community College and getting an.A.A.S degree. Check to see if the college you choose has any credit transfer agreements with any four year colleges. Often Community and technical schools will create transfer agreements with 4 years colleges.
    +1

Enroll in the program and ask the instructors for advice since they should have some insight about what you can do in your region, and the program itself may include some volunteer work component. At the CC I attended, one the CIS courses required you do volunteer work for local organizations (the local school district, library, etc.). It was easy to get experience (albeit volunteer work) since those organizations already had agreements with the CIS department, so you just had to show up at scheduled times. You had to take that course once for the AS degree, but many people repeated it to gain experience, and some people actually got hired through the contacts they made during that course!
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV