Options

Leaving my job (To disassociate from their MS partner or not?

steve_fsteve_f Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am currently working for an MS Certified Partner.

I got a few brownie points last year, because they were in a panic, they needed to renew their Partner status, but one of their 2 MCSEs had left recently.
I casually mentioned that I was MCP, MCDST and MCSA, and saved the day.

Now I am leaving for another job (The new employer is not an MS partner)
I would like to be a nice guy, and keep my MCP associated with my current employer for a while, so they can get their renewal again in June.

However, 2 questions arise:
1) Is there a conflict here, working for Company B, where my MCP is associated with Company A?

2) do you think I could get anything from my current employer for keeping my association (money, glowing reference, free day off)

Comments

• Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    1) Any conflicts of interest are going to be between the two companies, are they in competition with each other?

2) I've known people in the Cisco world be paid retainers to have there credentials associated with parnters they no longer(or have never) worked for. I dont think Cisco like it too much tho. It really all depends how much they need the partner status.

My personal opinion is I take my credentials with me after all its my reputation at stake.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If your new company is internal service only, and you are on good terms, I would let them know they can use your cert until you need it elsewhere.

If they are service, you need to pull it away, if they are MS service. And if they are MS service, you should use your cert to aim them at becomming a partner. The benefits are worth it.

Can you get anything out of it? Probably a good contact in the future. That is worth WAY more than trying to get something extra out of them. Heck, my reputation is what gets me jobs. As you progress, you will find the same. Keep your reputation, and contacts intact. Trying to get someting extra for your cert... may leave a bad taste in your old employers mouth.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    steve_f wrote: »
    I am currently working for an MS Certified Partner.

I got a few brownie points last year, because they were in a panic, they needed to renew their Partner status, but one of their 2 MCSEs had left recently.
    I casually mentioned that I was MCP, MCDST and MCSA, and saved the day.

Now I am leaving for another job (The new employer is not an MS partner)
    I would like to be a nice guy, and keep my MCP associated with my current employer for a while, so they can get their renewal again in June.

However, 2 questions arise:
    1) Is there a conflict here, working for Company B, where my MCP is associated with Company A?

2) do you think I could get anything from my current employer for keeping my association (money, glowing reference, free day off)

Tough question. You are leaving and those certs are yours. Brownie points are good but did they help your bottom line? Have they since ramped up the internal cert profile to cover for you leaving?

I think being noble about this is commendable but at the end of the day be careful you dont shaft your prospects in the new gig by leaving accreditation behind. There may be a perception there that those certs will come with you and you dont want to U turn on a promise you made to the company you are leaving to keep the new one happy.

Discuss expectations frankly with the new employer before you make a decision here!