Options

Got a new job!

forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
Finally, I got a new job. I'm an in-house IT tech doing systems and network administration, as well as various support roles for manufacturing clients in East TN. Basically, a jack of all trades position. It's about a $4200/yr increase, with a raise after 90 days and annual raises after that, plus a Blackberry and a laptop, with mileage reimbursement. I start Tuesday morning.

So stoked. I've been actively looking since September, and passively looking for two years.

My method was a bit unorthodox, so it's worth mentioning: I interviewed with the firm a few weeks ago, and was turned down. It was a toss-up between me and another guy, and they chose him. I waited a couple weeks, then sent an email that was basically a sales pitch:
<redacted>,

I have a solution to a problem you have.

You need competent staff to solve client incidents. You have already made it clear that you cannot hire another full-time staff member, but we both know that I would make an excellent addition to your team. Thus, I propose this solution:

You bring me on as a consultant, working non-standard hours, part-time or as-needed.

As you know, I work at <redacted> during the day, but I am free for nights and weekends. <redacted> and yourself have families to be with at these times, but there are still incidents to be resolved, which is where I bring value to your company.

As a consultant, I save you money by not drawing benefits and being paid only for the time I actually worked on incidents.

If this sounds like a solution you would like to explore further, please do not hesitate to call me. My cell is <redacted>.

Sincerely,

<redacted>

He called me today, complimented me on the pitch, and said he'd rather just hire me straight up, as it's easier for him. :D

Knowing some sales tactics and getting into people's heads really helps you out, especially with your cover letter(since that's what hooks them). This was simply a follow-up borne of having nothing to lose.
The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hells yea! I might have to steal that idea of yours about the sales pitch. Good to see things are picking up for TEers.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Way to go!!

icon_cheers.gif

Exactly the type of persistance that is needed in the workforce!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Awesome letter man! Good luck with the new gig!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats! Awesome news - great way to end the week and start your weekend.
  • Options
    Here's the cover letter I initially sent them... I reword it to apply specifically to the job I'm going for when I send it, but this is the one I sent to these guys:
    Sir/Madam,

You want to hire me. You don't know it yet, but by the end of this cover letter, you will be clamoring to meet me.

Why should you hire me? Because I'm an awesome guy.

In just seven years, I have developed a range of skills and knowledge that would rival someone ten years my senior. I adore learning new things, and often read technical manuals in my spare time. Barring that, I read whatever I can get my hands on, no matter the subject. As such, I learn very quickly, which is one reason why I am so skilled.

I have been an independent consultant in the past, and I am very entrepreneurial and independent by nature. I work wonderfully by myself, but am perfectly fine in a team.

What will I do for your company? A whole lot of technical expertise, passion and drive. I love what I do, and this plays a large role in your company: if your employees like their work, they're going to put all of themselves into it, thus making your company's reputation one of always getting the job done to the highest degree of excellence. If <redacted> became synonymous with excellent service and support, your rates go up while your client list does too.

My resume is attached. My contact information is on there, but you can also reach me at <redacted>. I look forward to an interview with you.

Sincerely,

<redacted>
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Congrats, man!

That cover letter is a bit forward, but it looks like in the right persons hands it makes the difference.
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Congrats, man!

That cover letter is a bit forward, but it looks like in the right persons hands it makes the difference.

It's gotten me plenty of interviews, with comments from hiring managers about a disdain for the multitude of passive applicants. I've modified it a bit to be a little bit more toned down and not as forward, but it's still certainly nowhere close to most passive cover letters. This company, specifically, liked it and me for the salesmanship and risk-taking involved.
  • Options
    I can definitely see that. Playing it safe is...just that, safe. I know if i was hiring people I would be looking for something that stood out to me rather than the run of the mill stuff.
  • Options
    SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    Very cool. In markets and times like these you have to stand out and be willing to go that extra mile.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nice pitch on selling yourself! i will use this whenever the time comes. Thanks! Reps 4 u
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Wow that makes me wish I was awesome, then I could write a cover letter like that. For now I'll have to stick with "I'm very proficient at covering up my mistakes" and "I make a valuable contribution as head count".
  • Options
    matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549
    I like your tactics.
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I didnt care for your cover letter, it was too overconfident which turns me off. I did like the principle of your sales pitch though.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    brad- wrote: »
    I didnt care for your cover letter, it was too overconfident which turns me off. I did like the principle of your sales pitch though.

I agree, I would trash it if I were reading resumes. As long as you never have to have your resume in front of me I guess that doesn't matter though ;)
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree, I would trash it if I were reading resumes. As long as you never have to have your resume in front of me I guess that doesn't matter though ;)

Yeah, it's all about knowing your target. Some will like that approach, others will not take well to that.
  • Options
    Yeah, it's all about knowing your target. Some will like that approach, others will not take well to that.

It doesn't work well with employers in the public sector, such as schools and government... a more conservative approach works better, I've been told. However, I have had great luck with this cover letter in the business world, where they value high confidence and salesmanship.

As it's been pointed out, this doesn't work great everywhere; know your target.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    forkvoid wrote: »
    Here's the cover letter I initially sent them... I reword it to apply specifically to the job I'm going for when I send it, but this is the one I sent to these guys:

I think I am going to try this today.
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    Wow that makes me wish I was awesome, then I could write a cover letter like that. For now I'll have to stick with "I'm very proficient at covering up my mistakes" and "I make a valuable contribution as head count".

icon_lol.gif

Congrats to the OP!
  • Options
    I've been on the job three days now... first day was ten hours, no lunch, and within four hours of being on the job, I was being sent to a client's site. Needless to say, it was a bit overwhelming. My boss and the CEO are both super excited though... I'm apparently settling in ten times as quickly as the previous guy. They were pretty excited that I rearranged the desks in my office, because of what it meant(that I was intending on staying).

I have a major network replacement this weekend... some $81k worth of equipment going in. Me and two other guys that make me look like a Tier 1 help desk agent named Bob who speaks native Hindi.

I'm going up to Kentucky tomorrow morning, Savannah in a couple months and New Jersey about two weeks after Savannah, all for major network upgrades.

My boss and the CEO told me straight up: "We didn't hire you for your knowledge. We have contractors who are way better than you. We hired you because of your passion and initiative. With how you pursued us in the interview process, it left us wondering: If this is a taste of how he operates, think about how he'd be on the job".

About 20% of my work is incident management. The other 80% is thinking of ways to make the sites perform more smoothly. I've already been instructed to obtain my MCITP:EA as quickly as possible, because they need it for their MS Partner status, and they'll pay for it all.

Basically, this is a SWEET job and my aggressiveness is directly responsible for me having it.
  • Options
    Congrats again!

Get chuggin on that MCITP:EA since its free!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm going up to Kentucky tomorrow morning, Savannah in a couple months and New Jersey about two weeks after Savannah, all for major network upgrades.

Too bad it's so far out; I'm leaving Savannah tomorrow. Go to The Shrimp Factory and get the Chatham Artillery Punch. It looks like a girly drink, but it's the complete opposite in reality icon_lol.gif

punch.jpg
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Me and two other guys that make me look like a Tier 1 help desk agent named Bob who speaks native Hindi.

HEY! It's Portuguese and some Irish Gaelic. I've never even studied Hindi. Learned some Sanskrit once upon a time, though... icon_wink.gif

Sounds like a great job! Congratulations!
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats
    Guess your cover letter hit the right mark.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.