Options

Certification Path for Entry Level IT?

computer800computer800 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I recently graduated in 2009 and I find it difficult to get into the IT industry.

My goal is to become a Network Analyst and I have no idea how to get there. I also don't really know how long it will take. All I know is that I really enjoyed taking the CompTIA Network+ and Network Administration courses while I was in school. I also enjoyed reading Information Security Management materials.

It is almost impossible to get a Network Analyst or Network Technician career right out of school in this economy. I understand it takes time to get there. But, what is the best IT certification to get me into the IT industry temporary? What advice do you have in mind? Should I get the CompTIA A+ and work in technical support for a couple years then CompTIA Network+, then CCNA?

Is this the correct path? I'm a little afraid to dive straight into CCNA. I dropped the CCNA Networking Academy (Exploration) course last year because I had an instructor that wasn't really effective in teaching.

CompTIA A+
CompTIA Network+
CCENT
CCNA

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I recently graduated in 2009 and I find it difficult to get into the IT industry.

My goal is to become a Network Analyst and I have no idea how to get there. I also don't really know how long it will take. All I know is that I really enjoyed taking the CompTIA Network+ and Network Administration courses while I was in school. I also enjoyed reading Information Security Management materials.

It is almost impossible to get a Network Analyst or Network Technician career right out of school in this economy. I understand it takes time to get there. But, what is the best IT certification to get me into the IT industry temporary? What advice do you have in mind? Should I get the CompTIA A+ and work in technical support for a couple years then CompTIA Network+, then CCNA?

Is this the correct path? I'm a little afraid to dive straight into CCNA. I dropped the CCNA Networking Academy (Exploration) course last year because I had an instructor that wasn't really effective in teaching.

CompTIA A+
    CompTIA Network+
    CCENT
    CCNA

Thanks

Welcome to the forum!

What was you major in school?

Most people (including me actually) are going to say that A+ and N+ are not going to be as "valuable" as a CCENT/CCNA. If you want to try to get yourself out there you may want to earn an entry level Microsoft cert (MCTS), Cisco (CCENT) and maybe Security+ or something like that. Network Analysis is a bit ubiquitous though and it would really help if you were more specific with your desired job roles.

Do you have any experience in IT at all (paid or otherwise) The economy sucks but there are still jobs out there, you are going to have to work hard to get ahead but it is still doable.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would disagree with knwminus on the Net+, or at least studying for it. It has a lot of information that will give you a base for your CCENT studies.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SephStorm wrote: »
    I would disagree with knwminus on the Net+, or at least studying for it. It has a lot of information that will give you a base for your CCENT studies.

I can tell you that everything I learned in while doing N+ I learned over again (and more) while doing NA. I will agree the material is worthwhile but the actual cert may not be. Especially with the cost of the comptia exams. That said if the OP was going to do the A+/N+/Sec+, it needs to get done this year so they will still be lifetime certs for him/her.
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    You don't state what country you're in (as it does vary), imo, the entry level certs that you should take would be the:

1. A+
    2. Network+
    3. Security+
    4. MCDST/MCITP: EST (if you already have IT experience) or the MCITP: Consumer Support Technician (if you don't have enterprise experience)

Then enter the IT field thru helpdesk. Or try to get yourself on some sort of apprenticeship program.

Things that may help you...

Other things would be to join a Professional IT Association (eg the BCS or IET or your local one) for continuing development and networking opportunities.

Use all resources available to you for job hunting, for example: recruitment agencies, local/national newspaper, job sites, direct company websites, the above professional associations, etc...

Lastly you may want to get your CV checked up, while it may be complete, it may not be presented well. And try to get feedback from any/every job that you weren't successful on.

-Ken
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    You should do the MS cert for desktop support...either MCDST or MCITP:EST...that will both pad your resume and help with entry level jobs (non-networking) to get your foot in somewhere. They're a comparatively cost effective way to add 2 certifications.
  • Options
    avladavlad Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It depends on what certifications are required/recognized in your area.

You can study for A+,N+, and then Microsoft client exam (Vista/7), 70-290 & 70-291 (also called THE BEAST for MS).
    If Microsoft still recognize the A+/N+ you can achieve MCSA certification.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□

CompTIA A+
    CompTIA Network+
    CCENT
    CCNA

Thanks

Do the following certs in this order:
    1. comptia A+
    2. Network+
    3. Security+
    Why? Because these certs will teach you fundamental information/skills that many IT professionals need to enter the market. However, I think you could get a job, just by obtaining your A+ certification.
    I would suggest joining Linkedin. It’s a great social networking site that can help you look for work, by connecting you with old classmates, former and current co workers, and lots of different types of groups.
    YouTube - Introduction to LinkedIn
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor