Studying for 70-640

wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
I study best by doing VM Machines and doing everything by hand. Are there any really good sites that define a scenario situation where I need to setup all the servers etc?

I'm watching the CBT Nuggets videos but so far I'm not really liking it I mean its teaching me but I still feel like I'm missing a lot.

Thanks,

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd like to know some myself.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Get the MS Press Books. They have lots of labs you can do, all which are tailored for the exam.
    rsutton wrote: »
    Get the MS Press Books.
    Got them already.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Every lesson in every chapter has labs that you can do. So what's the problem?
  • BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
    Think stuff up and then do it in your VM.

Practice anything you can basically think of. Join Domains together, join a new DC's to an existing domain, practice having two forests connected and then how to allow access to each other. Practice creating RODCs and also how to pre-stage an RODC in your AD structure. Creation of Groups and Group Policy. How to assign those policies so that they are only assigned to user or computer levels.

Thats just the tip of the iceberg of course and a few ideas for you. Just think of the exam as if you can do it in your VM, MS can also throw it at you in that exam.

I studied for 2 months for 640. Wasn't the best score but just doing these things did get me through it.

Just look at the 640 guidelines, and then practice things associated to that. Once done, you should be fine.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/42880-70-640-resources.html

Use claymore's guide also. This is extermely useful.
    EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete
    Good advice.
    I'm already doing the labs in the MS Press book. Was even going to try using 2k8 R2 just to become familiar with it but my processor doesn't support it. can't afford a new PC for a while so R2 is on the back burner.
    Currently working to set up a "real" lab. Getting a switch and I have 4 older computers which can barely support server 2k8. My main system can only VM 3 instances at once. Add those 4 old computers and 2 additional "users"(wife and daughters PC's which now have 7Pro and Vista Business) and I should be able to lab a little more.
  • BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
    Don't worry about R2.. use 2008 as the exam is based off it.

You need to just get in there and do it. Don't worry about what version of 2K8 your using, it's all the same. The only difference is R2 is based of the Windows 7 image which is faster. The original 2K8 will suit your purposes.
    EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete