Options

Having problems removing this heatsink..

matts5074matts5074 Member Posts: 148
Ok. I've removed/installed alot of heatsinks (mostly on AMDs), but for some reason this one is giving me trouble. I must admit it's embarassing. icon_redface.gif It's the stock HSF that comes with PIII 1.0Ghz retail CPUs.

It has plastic clips. Pic:

i_23661.gif

What's the secret to removing these? It tried pressing down on the green clip, but all I have to show for it is a sore thumb. The mobo was even bending so I was afraid to try much harder. Does this clip slide sideways or something? Most AMDs have a spot to insert a screwdriver and pull out.. works like a charm. But these clips are plastic. icon_sad.gif

Any hints would be appreciated. I only had about 15 minutes to play with it, and I didn't accomplish a single thing except the need for a banaid.

Comments

• Options
    skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hrm, that's a toughie!

Have you tried pulling the tab away, out from the heatsink, then pushing down?

I've not had the pleasure with this model, but some of them are sort of 'locked' onto the HS. You have to get the lever free before you pop the HS itself off.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I have removed that heat sink before. I believe you pull up on the green tab & that expands from the sink. I too have removed alot of heat sinks & nothing is more of a trick that PIII's, P4's & XEONs. I feel your pain, i have busted alot of knuckles. I think the best advice I could give is not to give up. good Luck!! :D
  • Options
    hhisgetthhisgett Member Posts: 181
    I have had the pleasure of receiving a computer that had the cpu built into the motherboard and the heatsink was actually glued to the cpu. No way to take that off without breaking it.