Options

WTLS less secure than TLS?

yosi199yosi199 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was wondering since TLS is much more "resource savvy", does it means that it's better secured than WTLS used on small devices?

Comments

• Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    That's a fair assumption. From the Security+ perspective, the most important point to realize is that WTLS is used because it uses less resources.

Even though Security+ doesn't go deeper, there is more to the story.

Some suggest that WTLS is weaker for several other reaons. WTLS is derived fom TLS, but it's based on WAP. Additionally, the specifications aren't as well documented so that aren't followed as closely. This Wiki page talks about it a little:
    Wireless Transport Layer Security - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That page also says the WTLS is being superceded by WAP 2.0 but I've been unable to verify that.

Darril Gibson
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
    ISBN-10: 1439236364
    Security+ Blog
  • Options
    yosi199yosi199 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Daril I seem to have this strong need to get technical with stuff. I really thinks it will help me understand the overall picture better sometimes.

Anyways, your book is great. I love the fact that its focused on the exam and I like the writing. I feel I understand better than with the sybex book I started studying from, but I gotta ask LOL - Not that I have a problem with that, is there a reason you wrote every example from a female point of view? I mean it's pretty nice to see that as oppused to the conveintional male POV.

LOL that was me asking and asking...
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Glad you're enjoying the book.

When I read, I don't like it when I come across "he/she" such as "he/she enters a password" so I instead tried to mix it up with names and a mixture of pronouns to make it easier to read. Of course, this world has a lot of "she's" in it, including in the IT world, so it's also possible that's just where my mind wandered...:)

Hope your studies are going well.

Darril Gibson
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
    ISBN-10: 1439236364
    Security+ Blog
  • Options
    subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    Is it just me, or is IT a male dominated profession? In college, my class was all male. Since I've graduated, all the IT staff at the companies I've worked for are male. I however support a lot of females. Is it just the area I live in or what?
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
    70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress
    70-647 - Still on my list
    70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
    www.facebook.com/tylercoan
    www.twitter.com/tylercoan
    www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan
  • Options
    MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    subl1m1nal wrote: »
    Is it just me, or is IT a male dominated profession? In college, my class was all male. Since I've graduated, all the IT staff at the companies I've worked for are male. I however support a lot of females. Is it just the area I live in or what?

If you break down the field, certain areas balance out more then others. For example: the security/pen-testing is definitely male dominated. Whereas in more generalized areas: help-desk, web hosting etc, I've seen more of a balance. I have several female friends in IT. A large US web-host I worked for a few years back, the staff was a 50/50 mix. But overall yes IT typically appeals more to guys.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Times changed from 20 years ago.
    A lot more women were getting into IT than now.
    Some that got into IT 20 years have left it for other things.
    Where I work it is Male dominated. It used to be 50/50.
    I had heard also that just in general Computer Science programs in colleges were hurting for students. Maybe someone can let us know if that is what they are seeing? Who wants to be a computer nerd?