Options

CCIE changes

keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
Well, most of you got the email today about the 360 vendors being able to get you a waiver for the OEQ. Kinda interesting in my view as this changes the game for those that may look to other non 360 vendors.

Well wait the biggest thing is that there is ver5.0 coming. In which the 3560s may get put into edge switch status for a more robust core device a 6500! icon_eek.gif
Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons

Comments

• Options
    SysAdmin4066SysAdmin4066 Member Posts: 443
    Doesnt seem fair at all. The exam is the exam, why would 1 person be tested differently than another considering how they chose to study? Just doesnt seem right.

Not happy with the version 5 changes either, I will hopefully have passed the lab before those changes go into effect.
    In Progress: CCIE R&S Written Scheduled July 17th (Tentative)

Next Up: CCIE R&S Lab
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think its kind of crappy to waive the questions for people who attend the 360 program. Guess they just want to funnel everyone to their preferred vendors.

This is the first I'm hearing of the v5.0! I wouldn't mind them adding a 6500 to the mix. Most people at that level have worked extensively on them anyway. Getting lab time on one would probably be an issue though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Not sure when ver5 is coming out but something is listed with vue 450-001? Not sure if this is the lab you can take anywhere but its very concerning

Pearson VUE

Hopefully Cisco will notice the error in judgement and slow the fast and pervasive changes. That will more than likely drive the possible students and businesses to other networking vendors.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    keenon wrote: »
    Not sure when ver5 is coming out but something is listed with vue 450-001?

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccie/50938-new-ccie-r-s-lab-locations.html

Cisco Certification Testing
    Register now to take a Cisco CCIE exam being offered during April 2010 at 20 Pearson VUE Professional Test Centers around the world.
    I'm guessing it's like the CCIE Mobile Lab -- but at the regular price. Not sure how they plan to (CCIE) proctor it since there may be multiple locations on one day.

I think there was also an email about it.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    I got the 360 email, but nothing on the version 5. Where did you see that if you dont mind me asking? Ya, the 360 thing sucks...especially with how pricey the program is.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Dont know anything about this. Not on the 360 so no email. Is this true or Urban Myth?

Version 5?
  • Options
    Postscript to last post..

Putting the v 5 terror to oneside for the moment..as so few people can pass v 4!

Waiver for 360 customers on OEQ? Sounds like nonsense to me. Cant be true surely? Anyone know? Anyone can post the email sent around?
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    Dont know anything about this. Not on the 360 so no email. Is this true or Urban Myth?
    Got the email from Learning@Cisco -- but the information is also over on the Cisco Learning Network.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-6842

Didn't see anything about v5
  • Options
    Well i found out about the 360 changes yesterday from a good source. Along with some other info related to CCIE lab.

Either way there's more stuff coming down the pipe for all IE exams this is just the first wave!
  • Options
    Anyone can post the email sent around?

Here's the email, minus the links with marketing tracking information.
    CCIE Training: Core Knowledge Waiver and New Bundles

As the only CCIE training program authorized by Cisco, the Cisco 360 Learning Program is designed to accelerate expert-level competency and provide the tools that are needed to prepare candidates for the rigorous CCIE Routing and Switching and Voice lab exams.

Beginning April 1, 2010, Cisco will allow students who attend a Cisco 360 Learning Program workshop to request a waiver and skip the Core Knowledge section of the CCIE R&S or Voice lab exam.

Participating Cisco Authorized Learning Partners now also offer discounted Cisco 360 Learning Program bundles of R&S Self-Paced Lessons and Performance Assessments, providing students with additional training options. Check with your local Learning Partner for details. Finally, the eight Cisco 360 Learning Program R&S Self-Paced Lessons and four comprehensive lab-quality Performance Assessments are now available on the Cisco Learning Network Store.

Start preparing for your CCIE today.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That waiver sounds ridiculous. So their own written exam isn't enough to guarantee the integrity of the candidate but attendance, at some point in the past, of a 3rd party course is icon_rolleyes.gif
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    I think its kind of crappy to waive the questions for people who attend the 360 program. Guess they just want to funnel everyone to their preferred vendors.

This is the first I'm hearing of the v5.0! I wouldn't mind them adding a 6500 to the mix. Most people at that level have worked extensively on them anyway. Getting lab time on one would probably be an issue though.

Which is my problem with the ver 5.0 changes. I cant afford a 6500 and I dont expect I'll be working with any anytime soon. I guess rentals would be an option, but I just dont think the models are appropriate for R&S.

• Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I really don't see why people are freaking out about the waiver thing. It's a few extra minutes for the people who took the official course, not a huge deal in my opinion.
    I just dont think the models are appropriate for R&S.

How so?
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Here's the email, minus the links with marketing tracking information.

That's outrageous. So it you don't or cant fess up the dollars for the 360 program you have to do OEQ?

Seems like it's one CCIE lab exam for one, and one for another.

It's interesting the groupstudy archives have been unviewable since December. I begin to wonder why!

Now, with the IE, there is disinformation and U'turns and U'turns not admitted as U'turns so I guess we will see how this all pans out.

But in a sense I wonder if this may be a tightening of what the CCIE was always meant to be.. a province of Cisco employees and Cisco partners, many of whom have the dollars to sponsor 360.

I think a few suits who saw the numbers and like pie charts may have been on the case here!

But who knows! Perhaps the few of us who were grinding it out the good old fashioned way just ran out of time :)
  • Options
    the thing is that cisco has fixed the switches virtualizing now. so they can do what they want at this point
  • Options
    kalebksp wrote: »
    I really don't see why people are freaking out about the waiver thing. It's a few extra minutes for the people who took the official course, not a huge deal in my opinion.

How so?

Its a huge deal if you follow groupstudy. Without a pass on OEQ you fail the lab. Lots of people failed the lab on OEQ. There was lots of whining about it. Are all the OEQ failers cheaters? Of course not. No OEQ, one less problem to encounter for the 360 people.
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Its a huge deal if you follow groupstudy. Without a pass on OEQ you fail the lab. Lots of people failed the lab on OEQ. There was lots of whining about it. Are all the OEQ failers cheaters? Of course not. No OEQ, one less problem to encounter for the 360 people.

Oh, I didn't realize that there were people failing the OEQs. I guess that makes it a bit different.
  • Options
    kalebksp wrote: »
    Oh, I didn't realize that there were people failing the OEQs. I guess that makes it a bit different.

Lots. People that pass them assume the people are cheaters (which they are designed to catch out). That's one eyed but emotional intelligence is a gift even if you can outconfigure everyone you know.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Personally, the OEQ's don't bother me, BUT, I think it's BS that one group of people may have to take them while another won't..based on their method of study, as said previously in this thread.

On a separate note, if these V5 changes are true, and a 6500 is brought into the mix, it may very well be enough to knock me out of the CCIE running so to speak. I understand the need to keep the material updated, but when the changes are so frequent that I can't keep up with buying equipment and workbooks, then what else can you do..

Maybe now is a good time to take the dive into security, who knows. Can't wait to hear more.
  • Options
    CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    don't know why everyone is freaking out. Even if they waive OEQ, who really cares? If you know your stuff, then you'll be fine. Even if the rumors of V5 are true, I doubt that will even be a factor for the next year and a half. Whatever cisco is doing to further make the CCIE more elite is good news to me. If you can't afford it, change paths. How does the saying go, "if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen".

The CCIE wasn't for everyone in the first place.

If you don't like was is going on, then be a quitter.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    don't know why everyone is freaking out. Even if they waive OEQ, who really cares? If you know your stuff, then you'll be fine. Even if the rumors of V5 are true, I doubt that will even be a factor for the next year and a half. Whatever cisco is doing to further make the CCIE more elite is good news to me. If you can't afford it, change paths. How does the saying go, "if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen".

You've completely missed the point. One exam, taken the same way for all, OEQ or not the fact that you did the Cisco endorsed vs. other vendor (often better regarded) training should have nothing to do with it.

The CCIE wasn't for everyone in the first place.

If you don't like was is going on, then be a quitter.

This kind of arrogance is bad enough in the first place but at the very least wait until you have your number before you label anyone who happens to disagree on this point a quitter or simply not up to the challenge.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    In my overall view the bigger issue is that Cisco (yes its their cert) is changing their stuff before new materials are even available thats 1. the 360 program is repackage program of a not so good program thats 2. sometimes doing a 360 with the size you have will cause you to knock everyone down even your biggest supporters thats 3.
  • Options
    +1

ahriakin wrote: »
    you've completely missed the point. One exam, taken the same way for all, oeq or not the fact that you did the cisco endorsed vs. Other vendor (often better regarded) training should have nothing to do with it.

This kind of arrogance is bad enough in the first place but at the very least wait until you have your number before you label anyone who happens to disagree on this point a quitter or simply not up to the challenge.

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Wasn't expecting the OEQ waiver, but I can't say I'm surprised. This is just another form of product placement. I think it's annoying, but shortcuts have always existed for folks with cash to dole out, this is just another example.

As far the v5 changes goes.... 6500 chassis aren't actually that expensive, it's the supervisors and the linecards that will kill you. If they decide you need more than one, it gets especially cost prohibitive, and if they're going to test on some model of sup720.... yeah, assembling one of those for a home lab is going to be cost prohibitive.

Hopefully these version 5 changes are a few years out. I mean, they JUST released v4, sheesh. Obviously I'll wait for an official announcement, but if they're planning on pushing the version 5 stuff anytime soon, it'll by necessity accelerate my schedule, as I can see lab slots being in short supply
  • Options
    How does the saying go, "if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen".

Kind of funny for someone without a number.

I believe it should be more like: "If you have family obligations, and are not able to financially keep up with purchasing several thousand dollars of lab gear per year, then maybe you are good enough, but just not able to fund the journey, so you should not pursue the CCIE"..

But, that's assuming I'm not an arrogant prick.
  • Options
    And for the record, I'm not quitting..the knowledge alone would be invaluable, but it would be a shame to make it almost all the way and not have the proper hardware, and therefore no number.
  • Options
    CCIEWANNABECCIEWANNABE Banned Posts: 465
    wow, you guys are brutal up in here. I was not trying to single out anyone in any way. So if some people were offended by what I said, I apologize.

Just trying to use some of that good old military psychological warfare to get you guys psyched up and want to study for hours on end.

But I guess that backfired...

And yes, I am just a low life CCNP without a number next to his name, I live with that pain and agony everyday :] I have no problem accepting that truth.

Hence the ongoing fight for the IE title.

Back to the trenches for more QoS warfare.
  • Options
    I average 3 to 5 hours a day of studying on top of 12 hour shifts. I've been called many things before but unmotivated will never be one of them.
  • Options
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    Personally, the OEQ's don't bother me, BUT, I think it's BS that one group of people may have to take them while another won't..based on their method of study, as said previously in this thread.

On a separate note, if these V5 changes are true, and a 6500 is brought into the mix, it may very well be enough to knock me out of the CCIE running so to speak. I understand the need to keep the material updated, but when the changes are so frequent that I can't keep up with buying equipment and workbooks, then what else can you do..

Maybe now is a good time to take the dive into security, who knows. Can't wait to hear more.

Which is why I said the 6500 is not appropriate for the R&S so to speak. I I mean, I have never HAD to work with one, in 10 years in the field. In my exeperience it's not a common enterprise, or small to medium size device. 35xxs on the other hand are very common. That could just be my experiences though. Good for those who have worked with, or work with the devices on a daily, but for those who havent or dont, that will be problematic.

• Options
    wow, you guys are brutal up in here. I was not trying to single out anyone in any way. So if some people were offended by what I said, I apologize.

Just trying to use some of that good old military psychological warfare to get you guys psyched up and want to study for hours on end.

But I guess that backfired...

And yes, I am just a low life CCNP without a number next to his name, I live with that pain and agony everyday :] I have no problem accepting that truth.

Hence the ongoing fight for the IE title.

Back to the trenches for more QoS warfare.

Ok Peace! Time for you fellas to kiss and make friends again. I know you both and you are both hard working students! You meant one thing and it was taken in a different way. Thats understandable because a lot of people on TE really do put a lot in on the journey. Lets all just use a bit of emotional intelligence in our posts and all is well. A pep up post is one thing but be sure to explain what you mean by that so no one takes it personally!

As for me, Im miles off, too busy working but year end is possible..with OEQ's!