Options

Do you have to take a class?

HandbrakeHandbrake Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
What's the best certification to get a job like help desk
Do you go to college to get these certifications?

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Handbrake wrote: »
    What's the best certification to get a job like help desk
    Do you go to college to get these certifications?

You can, but you certainly don't have to. I have studied for all my certs buying books.

As far as certifications to get I would advice A+ and MCDST or
    MCITP: EDST 7.
  • Options
    may you share what books?
    I have search online and found some website offer free test sample and I must say a lot of stuff are like dos and win 98 stuff..

sold stuff like ISA slot etc.. are these old stuff still on the test?
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have search online and found some website offer free test sample and I must say a lot of stuff are like dos and win 98 stuff..

No, the current A+ test has a little Windows 2000, and mostly Windows XP, and Vista. I currently studying it as a course for Western Governors University. I would suggest one of the gigantic A+ books, and the simple A+ ExamCram (which I am currently using). If you are interested (and in the United States) I have an older A+ for Dummies book. Just pay for the shipping, and I will send it to you. Much to my suprise it is a really good book for the A+.

As far as ISA, I don't think it is in the A+ any longer. Check out CompTIA's web site for the current exam objectives: Getting Ready for the Test
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used the big mike meyers book. I suppose there's a new one now for the 2009 exam. The test I took still had the older stuff on it but they have a new test now.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod

Find the objective link here:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/a/16436-objective-download.html

Some info defined here (started):
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/a/47249-comptia-220-701-2009-edition.html

Meyers and Sybex are the two best books for A+. Search Amazon or Alibris for other ideas, but these two have proven themselves over the years.

And NOTHING will be experience, so get as much hands-on work as you possible are able to get.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Thank you,

where do you go to take the test?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    where do you go to take the test?
    The CompTIA exam are available at Pearson/Vue and Prometric Test Centers.

Computer-Based Testing Provider for Certification and Licensure Exams: Pearson VUE
    Prometric Services: Testing and Assessment
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!