Options

Graveyard shift

OnefiveOnefive Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
So, I am looking for a new job. Right now I have an opportunity to work at a NOC which should be more interesting than the NOC I work at currently. The move seems some what horizontal, but I would be getting paid significantly more, and I would be working for a brand name company which would look good on my resume.

The problem is this: They seem to want somebody for graveyard. I've told them that I want day shift, and their response is that they have somebody else on graveyard who wants to move to days. They said I would work on day shift for 6 months while I get acclimated, and after 6 months "we'll see".

I'm curious how I should go about this? They seem to really like me, I've had 3 tech interviews so far which went well. I have a final interview in a week, at which point we will be ironing out details and what not. Of course my concern is the shift. I don't think I could work graveyard. I work swing currently, and it has destroyed my personal life. Graveyard would be even worse. So my question is how should I tell them that graveyard is out of the question. I kind of feel like they are trying to pressure me into it because I've told them 3 times that I want day shift, and that it is one of the main reasons I want to move from my current job ( which is true ).

Comments

• Options
    carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    They really have to like you a lot for you to talk them into getting you on the day shift. If they truly have someone that wants to go days, that person will most likely be very upset if they placed a new guy on the day shift when he had seniority.

The 6 months and then we'll see thing, I have never trusted. So if you do take the job, expect to be on nights for a long time.
  • Options
    Yeah, the guy on graveyard would be pissed, but I've seen this happen before. Where I work, nobody gets off their shift. I've been working swing for two years and have seen people come and go on day shift. It seems like once they get you on grave or swing, you're stuck there until you leave.They always give you B.S about how important you are to the shift. I hope this mentality works out in my favor for once, I will just have to put my foot down about working days, and at the same time show some extreme value.To be honest though, I don't think my chances are too good. But hey, I've got nothing to lose.icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    Onefive wrote: »
    o be honest though, I don't think my chances are too good. But hey, I've got nothing to lose.icon_cheers.gif

My point exactly. If it is not a big deal if you get the new job, then you really have nothing to lose.
  • Options
    Krusty_47Krusty_47 Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll be honest I just started working the night shift. The only problem I have is that I'm the only person in the office. I can see how it can screw with your personal life. Staying up all night is ok but at the same time You never get to see the people you care about and don't get a chance to get much sun. I'm already working as hard as I can to get off of night shift. Hopefully I will be able to once I get some certs under my belt and some seniority. We are already hiring for new people and we are expect to increase to 30 by the end of the year. I'm sure at some point I will get the chance to move to a day time shift.

All of that being said. I have 8-10 hours a night to study at work because of how slow it is. I'm not going to complain too much
    Goals for 2011.

Graduate from WGU by Dec 2011. I have almost 80 CU's starting in February. This is also my new years resolution for 2011.

On the list for January 2011
    Project+ and CIW Foundations.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Work days cut your teeth. Learn the checks and monitoring. Ask for Engineering orders to implement changes. Study. Repeat this process for a year or 2 and look for better digs. Have your laptop with your CBTs and GNS3 on it.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    SettSett Member Posts: 187
    I worked on shift model for almost 2 years. It was good back than, because I was still going to the University and the shift model gave me free time to combine the learning with the job. However, it is allot better since I work on normal business hours. I will never accept to work on shifts again.
    Non-native English speaker
  • Options
    One of the big problems with working swing or graveyard is that you do not get a lot of exposure to co-workers/managers or other departments. This can be detrimental to your career growth in the company, because nobody will really notice the good things you do, ONLY the bad things. Not sure why it works out this way, but it does.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you don't want graveyard then tell them you will only work day time. No point in going further if you don't see eye to eye on that. Its just a waste of everyone's time.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Onefive wrote: »
    So, I am looking for a new job. Right now I have an opportunity to work at a NOC which should be more interesting than the NOC I work at currently. The move seems some what horizontal, but I would be getting paid significantly more, and I would be working for a brand name company which would look good on my resume.

The problem is this: They seem to want somebody for graveyard. I've told them that I want day shift, and their response is that they have somebody else on graveyard who wants to move to days. They said I would work on day shift for 6 months while I get acclimated, and after 6 months "we'll see".

I'm curious how I should go about this? They seem to really like me, I've had 3 tech interviews so far which went well. I have a final interview in a week, at which point we will be ironing out details and what not. Of course my concern is the shift. I don't think I could work graveyard. I work swing currently, and it has destroyed my personal life. Graveyard would be even worse. So my question is how should I tell them that graveyard is out of the question. I kind of feel like they are trying to pressure me into it because I've told them 3 times that I want day shift, and that it is one of the main reasons I want to move from my current job ( which is true ).

You will be working nights. There are study opportunities there but lots of downsides. If you can hack it do it and take advantage of the opportunities. Many CCIE's have been minted on nightshifts. Its a *name* and you can push for a day gig. If you dont get one, with the *name* and 6 months NOC experience on nights..1..people would be impressed and 2 I dont think any new company you approached for a job would be surprised you want a change.

But stay self motivated on nights. Too many play games and use facebook. By the way..they check that stuff.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    If you don't want graveyard then tell them you will only work day time. No point in going further if you don't see eye to eye on that. Its just a waste of everyone's time.

and you will burn your bridges with them.

They need to hire someone for graveyard shift to get their existing guy onto days. If you don't fit what they are looking for because you only want days, then any messing about could be detrimental.

On a side note: We once had a guy who would only work night shift and he was forever asleep when the balloon went up during the night. After a year or so they said that he must go on days permanently so he handed in his resignation. When they got to the bottom of it, it turned out he had a day job somewhere else on an equally good salaray and was only coming to the nightshift job to sleep whilst getting paid ... Hilarious.
    Kam.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    and you will burn your bridges with them.

They need to hire someone for graveyard shift to get their existing guy onto days. If you don't fit what they are looking for because you only want days, then any messing about could be detrimental.

You said the exact same thing as me. How is my way burning bridges and yours not? Maybe you misunderstood what I was saying.....
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    You said the exact same thing as me. How is my way burning bridges and yours not? Maybe you misunderstood what I was saying.....

Just because I quoted you doesn't mean I was disagreeing with you. Far from it. I was just adding to your point with the point that messing them about could also be detrimental for when a day shift position does come up. That's all.
    Kam.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Turgon wrote: »
    You will be working nights. There are study opportunities there but lots of downsides. If you can hack it do it and take advantage of the opportunities. Many CCIE's have been minted on nightshifts. Its a *name* and you can push for a day gig. If you dont get one, with the *name* and 6 months NOC experience on nights..1..people would be impressed and 2 I dont think any new company you approached for a job would be surprised you want a change.

But stay self motivated on nights. Too many play games and use facebook. By the way..they check that stuff.
    I agree. If you stay where you are you may be STUCK on swing. You mentioned several positives to the new job (pay, brand name).
    I've worked swings and nights and found nights were way better on social/family life.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Graveyard would be quite a bit easier on your home life (if you have a significant other) since you'd work while your partner is asleep, then you'd sleep while she's at work, and then you'd both be home for the evening until you went off to work and could spend time together then.

If the increase in pay is significant, and the company and experience is worth it to do for 6months, or even a year before they can get you on days. The experience you'd get with them would be very valuable and by the time you are ready to move to days with them, or at that point move upwards to an even better position (that would hopefully be days) you'd have a big foot in the door to better your career.

I'd just approach it in that manner. And if you did go that route, it would takea while to get adjusted to working that shift and staying up all night.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Graveyard would be quite a bit easier on your home life (if you have a significant other) since you'd work while your partner is asleep, then you'd sleep while she's at work, and then you'd both be home for the evening until you went off to work and could spend time together then.

If the increase in pay is significant, and the company and experience is worth it to do for 6months, or even a year before they can get you on days. The experience you'd get with them would be very valuable and by the time you are ready to move to days with them, or at that point move upwards to an even better position (that would hopefully be days) you'd have a big foot in the door to better your career.

I'd just approach it in that manner. And if you did go that route, it would takea while to get adjusted to working that shift and staying up all night.

Its a potential wrecker if you have kids though. Mums and Dads need to be in touch with one another to cover for all sorts of things and that becomes at times really difficult with the overlap. As for the evening, well you are getting ready to leave for your shift when she is coming down from the day tired and would really like to spend time curled up with her fella at home. You miss out on that. Rather she misses out on that and it can cause a lot of problems at home if it goes on for a long time. Nights are hard, often people working them come home jaded and sleep a lot then they are soon back at work. Its hard on the metabolism.

For all the career *benefits*, its no good if what you have at home disintegrates. So think about that before you do it, and if you do it, work on things at home and see what you can do to change the equation on the work front!