Options

My 680 Experience

LCALCA Member Posts: 215
I passed scoring 825. I took my time and managed to get over the finish line in one piece. :)

A lot of questions on deployment and also backup and recovery. It's been very rewarding studying this as I've gained so much new knowledge.

Resources Used:

Technet - Thanks for the 680 resources sticky!
Windows 7 Resource Kit - A goldmine of information.
Windows 7 Administrator's Pocket Consultant by William Stanek - An excellent book.

I didn't really use the MCTS 680 book by Thomas as I thought it bit of a disappointment.

Now onto the Server 2008 certs. icon_study.gif
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://sqlsnapshots.blogspot.com/ - My SQL Server exam resources blog

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats. Did you feel that the MS Press book was enough to pass the exam? I plan on using MS Press + Transcender.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Cograts on the score.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    LCALCA Member Posts: 215
    xmalachi wrote: »
    Congrats. Did you feel that the MS Press book was enough to pass the exam? I plan on using MS Press + Transcender.

I prefer to use multiple sources for study for an exam like 680. The MS Press is good if used as one of the sources of references. I did also do quite a lot of practical stuff like test deployments (via a Server 2008 R2 VM). I mostly used the resource kit and Technet. I only discovered the Stanek book listed above the two day's before the exam. It does have an excellent chapter on deployment (I'm a fanboy of Stanek's Windows books icon_cheers.gif)

I also used MS video's and the three deployment vids from the CBT Nuggets 70-643 set

It's important to have good working knowledge with hands-on experience of deployment, backup/recovery,the WFAS (Advanced Firewall), Group Policy, the Event Viewer, installing and updating MSI files, VPN, remote management, VHD files. There was also a lot of command line stuff in the questions (and some Powershell).

HTH
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://sqlsnapshots.blogspot.com/ - My SQL Server exam resources blog
  • Options
    adfabusadfabus Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations
    LCA wrote: »
    I passed scoring 825. I took my time and managed to get over the finish line in one piece. :)

A lot of questions on deployment and also backup and recovery. It's been very rewarding studying this as I've gained so much new knowledge.

Resources Used:

Technet - Thanks for the 680 resources sticky!
    Windows 7 Resource Kit - A goldmine of information.
    Windows 7 Administrator's Pocket Consultant by William Stanek - An excellent book.

I didn't really use the MCTS 680 book by Thomas as I thought it bit of a disappointment.

Now onto the Server 2008 certs. icon_study.gif