Options

HAV requirement removed from Windows XP Mode/Windows Virtual PC

Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
Windows XP Mode now accessible to older PCs - Born To Learn - Born To Learn - Born to Learn

Kinda cool, I guess.

Remember if you are taking 669 or another Windows 7 exam that references this that this change isnt reflected in those exams.

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    But it still wont run on home versions?
    Sister in law has new Windows 7 Home comp and can't run her old SIMS (XP) games on it. Any way to get around this?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    You could install Virtual PC 2007 and run an XP VM but you would need an XP license.
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    You could install Virtual PC 2007 and run an XP VM but you would need an XP license.
    Good advice.
    I actually have a copy of XP Pro here I could use. Only used a few times while VM'ing with Server2k3 while studying for my Sec+.
    Would Sun VirtualBox work as well?
    Thanks
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    earweed wrote: »
    But it still wont run on home versions?
    Sister in law has new Windows 7 Home comp and can't run her old SIMS (XP) games on it. Any way to get around this?

First, you could try running the program in a compatibility mode. Right-click on the shortcut, select the Compatibility tab, and choose an operating system compatibility mode. Compatibility modes are collections of shims from the ACT database.

Next, you can use the Application Compatibility Toolkit to create a shim that can make the program compatible. One of the most common shims is an Windows Version Lie where, when the application checks on the OS version, the shim lies and tells the program it is running in a different OS. There a lots of shims from which to choose, tools to analyze the programs, pre-installed compatibility fixes, and the ability to create shim databases for deployment with the application.

Download details: Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit

More information can be found over on Chris Jackson's blog
    Chris Jackson's Semantic Consonance

Virtualization is really a last resort when it comes to application compatibility. Try using the ACT first and pick up some skills that will help you in corporate IT.
  • Options
    Claymoore wrote: »
    Virtualization is really a last resort when it comes to application compatibility. Try using the ACT first and pick up some skills that will help you in corporate IT.
    Thanks for the tips. I'll check out that blog before trying again. I haven't been able to get it to install yet.
    Edit
    The PC came with Windows 7 so I don't know if the MACT is really applicable. Just went over and got it to install but for some reason it says not enough memory. Her new PC has 2GB and her old PC had 1GB so it must be compatibility issue. I'll check out the Win 7 Forum to see if there are any answers there.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Whenever I upgrade someone's PC from XP to W7, I also install VMware Player 3 with a fresh XP VM and use their XP key to activate it. This has worked out very well in situations that needed to run very old software under XP.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I believe that's actually a violation of OEM licenses; I believe that would be acceptable with retail though.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    I believe that's actually a violation of OEM licenses; I believe that would be acceptable with retail though.

It might be, although I have P2V'd older servers before that had OEM keys and even told MS this when I called to activate and they didnt seem to really care.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, you're not supposed to be doing that either; that is also a license violation. The activation reps basically just ask if you have it installed on more than one system, so I wouldn't make licensing decisions based on their actions.
  • Options
    It was for temporarily moving legacy systems so the old hardware could be removed and new hardware put its in place,and then the VMs were shutdown and archived.

If MS gets upset over something running in a VM for a couple of weeks....well thats a little absurd.