Security+ vs SSCP

divinemysticaldivinemystical Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Goodday to all,

I am a security administrator, this is my first job and I have been working about 20 months in banking industry.

I am currently planning to pursue my CISSP certification. I heard from my colleagues and forums saying that Security+ and SSCP is a foundation for CISSP Certification. Can anyone please help me to analyze both of these certificates?

I also understand that most people self studied Security+, instead of attending instructor led classes. Is that so?

On top of that, is that ok if i directly pursue CISSP instead of having go through any one of these certification?

Your advice is very much appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Security+ and SSCP would both be good foundation on your path to CISSP. You can and indeed most people do these via self study.

And yes you can go straight for the CISSP but keep in mind to acheive CISSP certification you need 5 years experience. You can pass the exam and become an "associate" but you can not use the credentials of CISSP until you have acheived full certification.

hth
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • aethereosaethereos Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□

I am currently planning to pursue my CISSP certification. I heard from my colleagues and forums saying that Security+ and SSCP is a foundation for CISSP Certification. Can anyone please help me to analyze both of these certificates?

Hello,

IMHO Security+ is quite easy; you could pass it if you have the minimum recommended experience and book knowledge.

SSCP is another animal altogether. You'd need to study it and understand its testing methodologies.

To compare the two, I'd say Security+ is like taming a domesticated horse, and the SSCP is like a mustang. Definitely doable, but with practice.

And while I haven't taken the CISSP yet (scheduled for May 2010), it feels like taming a tiger. There's a lot of grounds to cover, and you won't know your results right away.

Best.
  • divinemysticaldivinemystical Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for both of your insights.

Another piece of information regarding CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy:

"For candidates currently preparing to sit for a CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ or CompTIA Security+ exam, if you pass an exam and become certified by December 31, 2010, you too will have a lifetime certification with no requirements for recertification or retesting.

Effective January 1, 2011, all new CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ or CompTIA Security+ certifications will be valid for three years from the date the candidate is certified. After three years, the certification must be renewed. This can be done by passing the most current exam for a respective certification or by participating in CompTIA’s upcoming new continuing education program, which will allow individuals to keep their skills current and their certification up to date without retesting."

here's for SSCP

"After becoming certified, the requirements to pay a $65US Annual Maintenance Fee (AMF) and to collect 60 Continuing Professional Education (CPE) credits every three years in lieu of taking a renewal exam also apply."
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Great comments!
    Thanks folks!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There is cost of ownership for some of the certifications.
    It is not just about passing the exam. So, figure out options and how much you are willing to spend for certification renewals.

I'd probably do the following if I only had a couple of years of experience and possibly no other IT certifications.
    1. Security+ for foundation (take this year, don't worry about renewal)
    look good on your resume
    2. SSCP would be good step. 7 Domains of security. Test expensive and then
    there is the annual maintenance fee and continuing education.
    3. CISSP. 10 Domains of security. Take this when you will have around the 5 years
    of experience. Decide once you get this if you want to also maintain your
    SSCP. The test is more expensive and higher annual maintenance fee.
    4. Look at other certifications on security where you might be interested
    (specialization).
    SANS Institute has lots of good certifications. SANS: Computer Security Training, Network Security Research, InfoSec Resources

Remember CISSP is more for management and SSCP is more technical.

If staying on the technical side, then you will probably want a certification for your speciality if it is Microsoft, Cisco, Novell, or Linux, etc....
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The SSCP is a technical certification while the CISSP is more business/administrative. If you are more into the business continuity, risk management, and physical security kind of things, go for the CISSP. If you really need to be in the technical side of InfoSec then the SSCP is for you. Either way, start with the Security+ cert. Then have a look at the listings for the next type of job(s) that interest you and note what kinds of certification your prospective employers are looking for. Certs are for training you towards your future career path.
  • bodacious00bodacious00 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Also, keep in mind that if you get an SSCP you may have more training opportunities in the future. At a one of my former jobs, a co-worker had the SSCP and I had the Security+. He had more training opportunities because he needed the CPE's.
    I agree with JD, start off with the Security+, then explore what career path and certs you want.
  • divinemysticaldivinemystical Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Again, thanks a lot folks for your advice, as of now, I shall look into each of the course structure and do a thorough research and evaluate what do I really want/need before jumping into any conclusion icon_wink.gif