Options

Unsure of salary capacity

Tfoote01Tfoote01 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I just wanted to know what everyone thinks would be an acceptable salary for my job hunt. This is all speculative here but here is what I have right now. I have 5 yrs exp at advanced data support with SprintPCS. I did data card, pocketPC, PDA, blackberry support, as well as NW and Exchange troubleshooting on an enterprise mail product.

I currently work for a very large oil company in a helpdesk/servicedesk role. This current position pays about 43k and has fantastic perks. But the job is nauseating. I do more than PW resets as I have ADUC admin access to create and delete AD security groups globally, I have advanced knowledge of VPN and Citrix. I also am the blackberry SME and the printer admin for the desk. I have UNIX, SAP, Server 2003 experience as well as truckloads more I'm not listing.

Now, I just finished school and received a BS in Internet Systems Security at ITT Tech (don't flame me) It was available and worked well with my job. So I have an associates in networking, a BS in ISS and am starting my certification run. I plan on getting Net+, Security+, CCNA, and unsure what else would be needed to get me into the big leagues. I have been in my current role almost 3 years.

This is just a feeler and I wanted to know what you all thought. I know my degree is a source of hot debate but ALL people from ITT are not idiots. So what do you all think?

Certs I should get aside from those mentioned?
Salary range I should look/ask for when my certs are attained?

Thanks all for reading this!

Comments

• Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    Depends on the cost of living in the area the job is in, how much you are willing to negotiate, what the job actually is you are applying for, etc.

There are many many variables, especially since there is no job description. Just a hypothetical "what I am worth". And that totally depends on the position that you are trying to get at the time.

If you want an even more ambiguous answer, your salary capacity is how much you are willing to put in the time and effort to advancing your career.

EDIT: For your reading pleasure http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/18955-would-you-hire-any-graduates-itt-tech-uop-devry.html :) Having a degree from ITT doesn't automagically black list you.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    Thanks for replying RouteThisWay,

I admit I might have asked a vague question. I just have heard things along the way (a BS degree in IS is worth 85k, a CCNP cert is worth 65k, stuff like that. Was curious what I'm worth because I feel worth much more than 43k.
  • Options
    moonlight08moonlight08 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Tfoote01 wrote: »
    Thanks for replying RouteThisWay,

I admit I might have asked a vague question. I just have heard things along the way (a BS degree in IS is worth 85k, a CCNP cert is worth 65k, stuff like that. Was curious what I'm worth because I feel worth much more than 43k.

Don't believe everything you hear. Let me provide a simple, if somewhat abrasive answer to your original question. If you believe your skills are worth more than what you're currently making, then find a company that is willing to pay you more. If you can't, well then, I suppose you've found your answer.

Your current salary isn't anything bad, like I recall reading one post where I guy was performing similar work to yours and his salary was around 24k; he was definitely underpaid. You're just in that middle area for a lot of specialties in this field that it gets difficult to evaluate from an internet forum post.
  • Options
    SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    a BS degree in IS is worth 85k

I wish icon_lol.gif

I would say with a degree from ITT and your experience, given the economy and competition for jobs...you should expect ~55k.
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You can't say any degree or cert is worth x amount of dollars.

There are too many outside variables that will dictate your salary such as: years of experience, location, company size, company budget for position you are applying for, industry/sector & the list goes on. I like what someone else said about finding a company to pay you what you think you are worth. I agree with that. Good luck.
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    Skip Net+ and Sec+, they won't do much for you. As for what you should make, I can't really help there.
  • Options
    Thank you all for your input and feedback. To be honest I have a great job, I know I do, but it's not doing what I want to do, there is no challenge for me, It's repetitive, mundane, and it urks me to have to reset passwords for people that can't remember what they set it to even though they use that password for the last 35 days!

I am jaded I know, I just figured I would arm myself with a degree, and certifications and get a better, more challenging job.

I'm 34 so I feel behind the curve for some reason.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514

I'm 34 so I feel behind the curve for some reason.

Haven't you heard? 34 is the new 24 man icon_cool.gif Rock on.

I understand your frustration, doing the mundane. But you are doing the right thing- adding certs and degree to your arsenal can only help, not hurt. icon_thumright.gif
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    Net + and Security + is of no use? CRAP! Ive been studying.

I thought a degree + certs might get me into a security position...

I know I cant get my CISSP without industry specific experience.

I was thinking Net+ and Sec+ were entry level certs to show I am at least familiar with this and move to CCNA, maybe CCNP, CISSP, unsure what else to get me into a security role.

Is that madness?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think the Sec+ is valuable. If you attempted to get a DoD job ever you would need it and I think it provides a great base for learning about Security.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Net + and Security + is of no use? CRAP! Ive been studying.

I thought a degree + certs might get me into a security position...

I know I cant get my CISSP without industry specific experience.

I was thinking Net+ and Sec+ were entry level certs to show I am at least familiar with this and move to CCNA, maybe CCNP, CISSP, unsure what else to get me into a security role.

Is that madness?
    No, it's not madness. Certs can't hurt. The Net+ and Sec+ should be fairly easy for you to get given your Ass. in networking. You may need to change location to get what you want.
    What you might try first is putting together a good resume and applying for the kind of jobs you think you qualify for. If you get one and succeed at it keep getting more certs to show your knowledge in the areas needed.
    If you can't get a better job then keep getting certs and more experience, try to get ahead at your present job. You may start enjoying it more. If not, look again for better jobs.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.