Options

Desired IT areas right now?

Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
Does anyone know what the desired IT knowledge/skills are right now in the IT market? It would be nice to be able to go after something that one could do with self-study and without having to break the bank with a home lab or equipment.

It could be anything - laying fiber, cell-tower work, networking, storage, mainframes, etc. I'm not limiting myself here to just Cisco or Microsoft.

Comments

• Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    the better question is what interests you? I could make 200k/year as a hardcore Oracle admin but I'd cut my wrists before I got to that pay grade. It doesn't matter whats in demand if your heart's not in it.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    The problem with going for things that are desired at this moment in time is that by the time you get certified and experienced up to a certain level in that area, most of the time it won't be that desirable - compared to what will be desirable by then.

-Ken
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    In my area it's being able to do everything under the sun, literally.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Dr_Atomic wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the desired IT knowledge/skills are right now in the IT market? It would be nice to be able to go after something that one could do with self-study and without having to break the bank with a home lab or equipment.

It could be anything - laying fiber, cell-tower work, networking, storage, mainframes, etc. I'm not limiting myself here to just Cisco or Microsoft.

In my area Business Analysis and Computer Operator (AS400).
  • Options
    OoteROoteR Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□

Where are you? What kind of education/training do you have?

tpatt100 wrote: »
    In my area it's being able to do everything under the sun, literally.

Literally?

Are you an expert at thermo-mechanics?

:)

I have to imagine Ypsi is in as bad of shape as most of Michigan, but there must be some market nearby
    2k11 Goals:
    VCP - Currently Studying
    MCITP:EA - 620 (done)
  • Options
    NeekoNeeko Member Posts: 170
    NinjaBoy wrote: »
    The problem with going for things that are desired at this moment in time is that by the time you get certified and experienced up to a certain level in that area, most of the time it won't be that desirable - compared to what will be desirable by then.

-Ken

That's quite a bleak outlook, albeit somewhat realistic.

For a network/systems tech I think security is always going to be a safe bet. Seems voice is in demand at the moment too but I'd say voice is an area that the above point could be more applicable too.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Neeko wrote: »
    That's quite a bleak outlook, albeit somewhat realistic.

Although, it's very rare that the foundation you develop in the process will be worthless at that point. i.e. if you wrap up the Server 2003 track and find yourself needing to know 2008, you're just going to have to learn what's new, not start from scratch.
  • Options
    NeekoNeeko Member Posts: 170
    dynamik wrote: »
    Although, it's very rare that the foundation you develop in the process will be worthless at that point. i.e. if you wrap up the Server 2003 track and find yourself needing to know 2008, you're just going to have to learn what's new, not start from scratch.

Very true, and all the more reason to stay positive and go with something.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    OoteR wrote: »
    Where are you? What kind of education/training do you have?

Literally?

Are you an expert at thermo-mechanics?

:)

I have to imagine Ypsi is in as bad of shape as most of Michigan, but there must be some market nearby

No I mean they expect a grocery list of skills in IT. They know they can cast a wide net and hopefully find somebody able to do it all. Companies are trying to consolidate positions to save money.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

A good all rounder is always employable because they can do *lots* of things and with companies permanent staff stretched to get things done around the shop you have a contribution to make somewhere. So I think a *balanced curriculum* is a good thing. In terms of getting on many things come into play but the best advice I can give really is to think about A- What you would like to do and B-What you think you will be best at. For 'B' it helps to enjoy the work. Regardless of the potential $$$$ its a job you still have to get through each day and deliver results on. That gets old over time if you hate it.
  • Options
    Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
    knwminus wrote: »
    In my area Business Analysis and Computer Operator (AS400).

How does one get trained as a computer operator anyway? I did a job search for this and of course they all want experience. Surely someone out there has something entry-level? I don't know of any schools that teach classes (like networking) on how to be computer-operator trained.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How does one get trained as a computer operator anyway?

Several ways...
      Sometimes through a university that has this type of gear
      In the old days through an entry-level job like a print room, running printers and inserting machines, etc..
      Probably dying out these days, but also through a tape operator position
      IBM also has training for this type of thing

MS