Options

Doing Server Admin after Enterprise Admin

GagHalfruntGagHalfrunt Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
I already passed Enterprise Admin in Dec but as a colleague pointed out to me, the Server Admin is only one more exam and I get a second MCITP.

So I've booked the 70-646 for tomorrow. I've bought the MS Press book but won't have time to read it! Is there anything I should concentrate on vs. the Enterprise Admin? Is it just a subset?

Comments

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    From what I understand its more "doing" than "planning".

For instance instead of asking you when you should use SCCM over WSUS, they may ask you a specific configuration question on WSUS.

That being said, I think if you have done well on the EA exams to this point, you should have no trouble passing the 646.

I think ENTERPRISE Admin sounds cooler, though. And so does this guy ;)

TNGJeanLucPicard.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think getting the SA would be a no-brainer. Its the same way with the MCSA in my opinion, if you are going to do the MCSA you might as well take the other 2 exams and get your MCSE.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    xmalachi wrote: »
    take the other 2 exams and get your MCSE.
    Three exams, not 2.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    If you're just interested in disposing of $125 (or quid or shillings or whatever you use), I could send you a link to my paypal account.

Why pay more for a lesser certification?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    Three exams, not 2.

Honest mistake.. my bad.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Claymoore wrote: »
    If you're just interested in disposing of $125 (or quid or shillings or whatever you use), I could send you a link to my paypal account.

Why pay more for a lesser certification?
    I'm with Claymoore on this one, waste of your money. But if you insist, I also accept donations...
  • Options
    But 2 MCITPs look better than 1 don't they? It looks far better on my CV surely (Resumé for the Americans here!)

The other thing is although the company doesn't pay for training they do pay for exams....
  • Options
    I would think that spending the money on something else would technically be better (though if work is paying, the point is moot.)

I'd rather hire someone with

MCITP:EA + ISA 2006

or

MCITP:EA + MCTS: Exchange 2007/2010

than

MCITP:EA
    MCITP:SA

The EA covers the SA, so its just redundant in the end.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    From what I understand its more "doing" than "planning".

For instance instead of asking you when you should use SCCM over WSUS, they may ask you a specific configuration question on WSUS.

That being said, I think if you have done well on the EA exams to this point, you should have no trouble passing the 646.

I think ENTERPRISE Admin sounds cooler, though. And so does this guy ;)

TNGJeanLucPicard.jpg

Correct. I remember reading an MS release awhile back that EA was more for design, and SA was more for operations. Can't remember where.

.... my bald guy is better than your bald guy.

DarthVader(Medicom)_03.jpg

Star Wars > Star Trek. Just stating fact icon_cool.gif
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    LOL at the pictures!

The plan is to get this extra MCITP then follow with a 70-432 ( SQL2008 ) as I agree that it's better to have other Application skills too. A large part of my job is SQL and although it's mostly 2000 that will change soon. I haven't really spent that long studying for the 70-646 so hopefully I'll be OK. I do feel like I'm doing things a little backwards mind!

I'm also thinking of a basic Citrix qual too as I've already missed out on one job due to the lack of it despite my basic experience. I'd do VMware as we use ESX at work but can't afford the course.
  • Options
    I also noticed I'd put "tomorrow" in my first post but it's actually on Thurs. icon_redface.gif Doh!
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck on your test.
    As for the Vmware cert you may want to bring it up at work that the course is required before you take the cert test. You may be able to get it paid for too.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Unfortunately getting my company to cough up any money for training courses is very unlikely. icon_sad.gif

In case anyone is interested I passed this with a 950. I found the difficultly level a little easier than Enterprise Admin despite the fact I scored a little better on that one icon_scratch.gif
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats. Although people may disagree, it is still good to seek out goals and achieve them whether it be the "accepted" thing or not.

It's much better than sitting on your couch watching TV.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    Correct. I remember reading an MS release awhile back that EA was more for design, and SA was more for operations. Can't remember where.

.... my bald guy is better than your bald guy.

DarthVader(Medicom)_03.jpg

Star Wars > Star Trek. Just stating fact icon_cool.gif

Oh I agree.

Its just that after I got my MCITP EA ,people at my last job started calling me Captain Picard icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Thanks! Interestingly the Prometric centre had problems opening up today - I blame those new 83-640 exams they have started doing.

The exam software also seems to have changed since last time.

I can't believe people wouldn't think that an MCITP logo with two lines wouldn't look better than one!

Anyhow, onto the 70-432 SQL2008 I think.
  • Options
    My logo has 3 MCITPs (EA, EDA7. and EST). I feel like the EST cheapens the others. I'll probably leave it off of my resume from now on.