Options

Comptia eLearning

impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
Did you see the new comptia eLearning:

Welcome to CompTIA eLearning and Certification Hub
Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

Comments

• Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I saw those but the price is just so steep!

$539 for 6 months access to the system just for the A+. Ouch!
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    steve13ad wrote: »
    I saw those but the price is just so steep!

$539 for 6 months access to the system just for the A+. Ouch!
    +1 I checked for the Linux+ since I'm self studying for that. $449
    You have to register to even look at objectives.
    With a little extra efort you can get all the info needed to pass these certs a lot cheaper.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I was joking about the Symantec thing, but I honestly wouldnt mind seeing CompTIA go under. So long as a company that isn't so bent on ripping off people who are trying to get an education takes their niche in the market.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    With 10,000 corporate members including all the companies that you buy hardware and software from, it will never happen. You are wishing for the collapse of our industry. Seeing the current board removed however might be nice.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    impelse wrote: »
    Did you see the new comptia eLearning:

Welcome to CompTIA eLearning and Certification Hub

I’m not impressed, because I can already access all these courses through my ACM membership. The ACM organization offers all Element K courses to its members. To the best of my knowledge, the Comp tia courses and the ACM courses are pretty much the same thing.
    Welcome — Association for Computing Machinery
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    TheShadow wrote: »
    With 10,000 corporate members including all the companies that you buy hardware and software from, it will never happen. You are wishing for the collapse of our industry. Seeing the current board removed however might be nice.

Comptia going under would in no way collapse the IT industry, thats absurd.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    The con is obvious with this approach to providing approved literature. It really isn't cheap. But what is the pro?
    Consider this: you can recover lost money but no one can recover your lost time. As you go about compiling your own study material, notice how much time you spend compiling and how much actually studying.
    I am not trying to be a spokesperson in favor of compTIA and I'm sure some of their practices don't make much sense, but you have to get rid of redundancy at some point as you strive to achieve something that matters to you professionally like it is with tech certs.
    Oh here's another con: braindumps. Now that the cat is out...
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I’m not impressed, because I can already access all these courses through my ACM membership. The ACM organization offers all Element K courses to its members. To the best of my knowledge, the Comp tia courses and the ACM courses are pretty much the same thing.
    Welcome — Association for Computing Machinery

Please tell me more about this ACM. Are the training good? Is it only $99 (USD)?

Thanks.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    varelg wrote: »
    The con is obvious with this approach to providing approved literature. It really isn't cheap. But what is the pro?
    Consider this: you can recover lost money but no one can recover your lost time. As you go about compiling your own study material, notice how much time you spend compiling and how much actually studying.
    I am not trying to be a spokesperson in favor of compTIA and I'm sure some of their practices don't make much sense, but you have to get rid of redundancy at some point as you strive to achieve something that matters to you professionally like it is with tech certs.
    Oh here's another con: braindumps. Now that the cat is out...

One of the best traits to have as an IT pro is the ability to efficiently and quickly research a topic and find the answers you are looking for. I would argue that finding your own study material would only add value to the overall knowledge acquired while trying to get the cert.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Comptia going under would in no way collapse the IT industry, thats absurd.

Ahh so you got the point then. I thought it might have been too subtle. It would be like breaking up a biker gang, 'ain't gonna happen'.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    ... Red Hat also comes up with e-learning version of its courses. Together with its outrageous prices icon_clown.gif
    https://www.redhat.com/elearning/
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    varelg wrote: »
    ... Red Hat also comes up with e-learning version of its courses. Together with its outrageous prices icon_clown.gif
    https://www.redhat.com/elearning/

This is very OT but how do you find all the :faces: ? I've never seen icon_clown.gif before.
  • Options
    Reply and then click more under the smilies.icon_smurf.gificon_pumpkin.gifalien.gificon_spiderman.gificon_jokercolor.gifcrash.gificon_farao.gificon_mad.gifmas:icon_rendeer.gificon_cheese.gificon_pirat.gif
  • Options
    SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    I was joking about the Symantec thing, but I honestly wouldnt mind seeing CompTIA go under. So long as a company that isn't so bent on ripping off people who are trying to get an education takes their niche in the market.

Is there anybody besides MS that you would actually like to succeed? Too much negativity my man!
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • Options
    JrSysAdmin wrote: »
    Is there anybody besides MS that you would actually like to succeed? Too much negativity my man!

Plenty.

I just don't agree with the prices that CompTIA charges, and the fact that they take 6 months to get a beta exam scored, and the fact that their own database holding the cert info was down for months. Or the fact that they tried to screw every prior cert holder by making their lifetime certs expire.

I'm just calling a spade a spade.
  • Options
    SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    Plenty.

I just don't agree with the prices that CompTIA charges, and the fact that they take 6 months to get a beta exam scored, and the fact that their own database holding the cert info was down for months. Or the fact that they tried to screw every prior cert holder by making their lifetime certs expire.

I'm just calling a spade a spade.

Fair enough.

I don't find a whole lot of value in their certs but I certainly don't wish failure upon them. To me it seems like they are willing to learn from their mistakes. When they discussed taking away lifetime certs they backtracked and saw the err in their way...this to me shows that they are better than a lot of companies that are unable to ever willing they made a mistake.

To be honest, I never wish failure upon any company, especially not an American one. Any time a company folds it has an adverse affect on people. People lose their jobs, there is less competition for other companies (thus less motivation for them to do things better), and a lot of families are left without money to put food on their table.

If I don't like the way a company is run, I will let my wallet do the talking, and not support their products. However, I still don't wish for them to fail just because I don't like how they did something.

We're all entitled to our own opinions, I just think yours tend to be more on the negative side.
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA