Options

Project+ for a entry level applicant with a Masters Dergee

tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
Collective Wisdom,

I already have the degree but not a lot of the all important experience. Basically after going for some of the basic certs like the A+, Network+, Security+ and the MCSDT and "getting the first job," should I go for the Project+ so I can show that I have knowledge with out the experience for the PMP?

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tjb122982 wrote: »
    Collective Wisdom,

I already have the degree but not a lot of the all important experience. Basically after going for some of the basic certs like the A+, Network+, Security+ and the MCSDT and "getting the first job," should I go for the Project+ so I can show that I have knowledge with out the experience for the PMP?

No I dont. You already have a degree and plan to pick up quite a few certs. There is far too much emphasis on getting this certification and that certification these days. They are useful in context but there is no yellow brick road to success paved with certifications.

The main thing is to get on and do the *work*. Thats what people hire you for. The certs gilt edge things.

Many project managers dont have these things, Project+ or PMP. That's not to say they are not valuable. So, if you want to be project managing sell yourself as someone who can take responsibity for a project and get things done. Do the PM certifications after you have some experience.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tjb122982 wrote: »
    Collective Wisdom,

I wouldn't look to Project+ as that much of a difference-maker. If you have a decent graduate degree that's going to take you much further than Project+ ever will.

MS