I am confused on what to do..please help

keeranbrikeeranbri Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am probably in the same shoes as many other people everywhere else. I had just graduated from Devry university with Bachelors in technology managment with a concentration in computer networking. However, before I began i did not think about the consequences and was pulled in thinking I would get a job in my field. at the same time I was already working full time as debt collector, have a family to support and mortgage and all that...so it was hard for me to accept a position that would be paying lower then what I was making..since I make about 17-18 hour with commission.

Well there you go..I have graduated with no experience under my belt and its been almost a year now since I graduated and don't know what to do..I do not want to waste my education becuase I have a loan to pay back, but also I do not want to leave my current job because it pays the bills..which one do I take?

I feel like i'm stuck unless I'm lucky to get a part time job..Most help desk positions that i have applied for start only around 14-15.00 an hour.

To make things worse, I am even lying on my resume now that I have worked for my uncles shop since he is the owner and stating on my resume that I did basic help desk work so that it shows I do have experience. I don't know if that is right what i am doing?

What certifications would you suggest that would attract a employer for someone in my position? A+, network+????

Comments

• apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    In my opinion, I would tough it out at your current job. First, it pays well enough to support your family, which is the most important thing. Second, if you stay at your current job, you can pay off that loan quickly and put it behind you. If you take a lower-paying IT job, you might get the experience you need, but you will have that loan hanging over your head for longer than expected. Actually, you're in not that bad of shape considering the number of recent graduates that can't find any work.

A+ certification will probably get you in the door for a Geek Squad type of job, but it will pay around the wages you described. Unless you know someone, I'm afraid the only likely places you will start is somewhere near the bottom. I'm not trying to discourage you, but rather trying to set realistic expectations. But get experience any way you can, keep hitting the books, and try to stay current with the trends. You mentioned your concentration was computer networking -- I recommend studying CCENT/CCNA material in the meantime.
    Usus magister est optimus
  • keeranbrikeeranbri Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I guess everyone is in the same boat..in this type of recession. So do you think the IT industry, will get better as far more jobs opening for the entry level people.

Do you think I should take A+, network + as a start?
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wouldn't be a bad start. And while you're at it see if your uncle will let you work some for him p/t, wouldn't be bad experience and you wouldn't be lying on resume.
    The A=,Net+ may only help you get a geek squad or helpdesk job at the bottom. The geek squad job may be a better bet (I'd pay off loans first) since you can do sales in store (don't know if best buy pays comm, though).
    You may want to try going through a recruiter (I thought Devry helped you get a job) in order to get a job. Right now I hate to say it but you're in a position where you can't start off at the bottom.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    $14-15/hr? where do you live? cuz thats only like $29-31k if you work 40 hrs/wk. And what type of companies have you looked at? i mean, i know you're pretty much only gonna get entry level type positions, but thats crazy. i could understand if it was like $35-37k. Try looking for jobs on indeed(use the advanced search...stay away from postings from Jobfox), linkedin, craigslist, usajobs.gov. Also try your local classifieds. I dont know if you live in a fairly big metropolitan area, but obviously look at stuff all over the area, and not just right by your town.

oh yeah, as far as certs...MCDST, and i guess you can halla @ the A+/Net+...i wouldnt even really take those 2, but i'd look thru the books tho. that way at least you can gain the info.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    $14-15/hr? where do you live? cuz thats only like $29-31k if you work 40 hrs/wk. .

Income levels and cost of living differ greatly throughout the US.

Where I live ,we have a very low cost of living, and therefore you see jobs for A+ techs paying as little as minimum wage. I've seen systems admins make 25k a year.
  • pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Income levels and cost of living differ greatly throughout the US.

Where I live ,we have a very low cost of living, and therefore you see jobs for A+ techs paying as little as minimum wage. I've seen systems admins make 25k a year.

agreed. When i got my first job after graduating college i was making 27.5k. And i live in the North Jersey/NYC area.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That is one of the difficulties of starting out in IT. Almost everyone has to do the Help Desk / Desktop Support role.

I wish you the best of luck!
    wow..system administrators making 25k..that's insane..I live in the suburbs of chicago.I guess my best best is to work part time at the geek squad or something...
    However, I guess I shouldn't leave my current job as a debt collector since i make about 35k a month. what do you guys think? How many of you have loans to pay back and how much?
    you mean 3.5k a month? I'd never leave a job that paid 35k a month.

EDIT: I also wouldn't expect minimum wage for an A+ or 25k a year for a sys admin to be the norm in Chicago, I was only giving examples of how things are drastically different in different areas. I work as a Systems Engineer and my pay isnt bad at all.
    ooopss..sorry..I meant 35k a year..I guess my best best is to work on my A+ and get into the geek squad to start from the bottom..at least it will be xtra cash and will gain experience. Do you think they will just take someone with a bachelors degree in IT but with no experience? I had been applying for help desk here in chicago, but no luck yet..
  • Norrlands TurkNorrlands Turk Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My situation is pretty much as same as yours. What I would suggest you to do is use your current job as a motivator to advance further in IT. That's what I do and I am not going to stop until I get what I want.

A+ and Network+ are good for a start but I would assume you already know most of the stuff those exams cover since you have an IT related degree?!
    WIP (Q2 - 2012):
    Undecided
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    keeranbri wrote: »
    ooopss..sorry..I meant 35k a year..I guess my best best is to work on my A+ and get into the geek squad to start from the bottom..at least it will be xtra cash and will gain experience. Do you think they will just take someone with a bachelors degree in IT but with no experience? I had been applying for help desk here in chicago, but no luck yet..

not to sound negative or anything, but i'd say dont even bother with going for Geek Squad. cuz thats really more break/fix and s/w & h/w install or removal than anything else. Since you live in the chicago suburbs, you should look @ companies in or right outside of Chicago. Hospitals, Banks, Fashion Companies, Cable Companies, Law Firms(ya'll have some of the top law firms there), Universities, etc. I personally think, just because you dont have the experience, doesnt mean you have to start @ a place like Best Buy. if anything, that would be something u'd do while in college. Like i said in my other post, halla @ indeed, craigslist, ya state employment site. When i see commercials, i look up the company information and see if they have openings, when i'm out and about, and i see all the different buildings here, i check online to see what companies might be there. If you got any connections, use them.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
    apena7 wrote: »
    In my opinion, I would tough it out at your current job. First, it pays well enough to support your family, which is the most important thing. Second, if you stay at your current job, you can pay off that loan quickly and put it behind you. If you take a lower-paying IT job, you might get the experience you need, but you will have that loan hanging over your head for longer than expected. Actually, you're in not that bad of shape considering the number of recent graduates that can't find any work.

A+ certification will probably get you in the door for a Geek Squad type of job, but it will pay around the wages you described. Unless you know someone, I'm afraid the only likely places you will start is somewhere near the bottom. I'm not trying to discourage you, but rather trying to set realistic expectations. But get experience any way you can, keep hitting the books, and try to stay current with the trends. You mentioned your concentration was computer networking -- I recommend studying CCENT/CCNA material in the meantime.

I agree with apena. Stay at your current job until the job market picks back up and then when it does you will land a job. Until the job market picks back up, work on your certs and perhaps do any kind of volinteering that can, like at your local church, any non-profit organization, things of that nature. THat will get you some exp to put down.
  • joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
    keeranbri wrote: »

Also, you may want to take your resume down and have it proffessional looked at, just to make sure your not shooting yourself in the foot from the get-go.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You may want to check out Resumes Dos and Don'ts guide line for getting contacted as it'll give you pointers on how to do a good IT resume. Apparently IT resumes are expected to be different than non IT resumes. Helped me polish mine. I've gotten 1 interview in last week but no offer..yet.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • subl1m1nalsubl1m1nal Member Posts: 176
    I'd get A+ and Net+. These are vendor neutral and are a way to distinguish you from other potential candidates.

I'd stay away from Geek Squad personally. I worked there for about 2 weeks while my job status was on shaky ground. They don't fix much there at the store. They usually plug stuff in and have somebody remotely fix it.

Hang in there at your current job. Get in contact with a recruiter. Do some after hours consulting or contract work to add to your resume. It's tough out there now.

I live in Iowa where the cost of living is really low. With A+ and Net+ out of college, I was making $30,000. 4 years later and a few different job moves, I'm up to $45,000. It takes time to make the big bucks. In 6 years, it's my goal to make $65,000. I plan on doing this by going after advanced certs.

Does anybody know of a good site where you can plug in your location and your certs and get an estimation of how much you should be making?
    Currently Working On: 70-643 - Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure

Plans for 2010: MCITP:EA and CCNA
    70-648 - Done
    70-643 - In progress
    70-647 - Still on my list
    70-680 - Still on my list

www.coantech.com
    www.thecoans.net
    www.facebook.com/tylercoan
    www.twitter.com/tylercoan
    www.linkedin.com/users/tylercoan
    CBsalary.com is ok for salary by job title (although job titles can be very broad at times) and location.
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    The Chicago area (and IL in general) is doing really bad job-market wise...we've got a 2% higher rate of unemployment than the US average. A sucky job market makes it even harder to break into a new field, but keep at it and you will succeed.

I'm not looking for a job right now but I do check out Craigslist & the like every now and again out of curiosity, and most of the positions I see posted are either downtown Chicago or in the burbs...obviously the downtown ones are probably a bit of a long commute for you, so just keep an eye out for those suburb positions and as suggested get that resume spruced up, and then send that puppy out to everyone and their mama! Good luck!!
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
    I know..most of the jobs that call me for interview are downtown chicago and that is a big commute for me and would be a big change for me as far working around my wife scheduling and picking up my son and all that.

What gets me frustrated is that sometimes I wish I had never gone to college and get my bachelors because i have already gotten my associates and now I have racked up all this student loan..approximately around 45k. and not even working in my field. and the loan payments had taken a bit of toll on our finances because of my stupid decision. Many people, including my mom, say you should not regret it going to college and finishing with honors. I was told that think about all those people that got laid off and can't even pay there bills and loans...what do they do? I guess I should be thankful that both me and wife have a job.

I wanted to do what's best for my family and provide for them and buy them all the things they wanted. I guess everything happens for a reason, and when the time is right for me to get that job, it will happen..
    Certainly be thankful for what you have.

I think a large part of the problem with IT is that if you arent in it, you don't totally understand it. A lot of people think we just sit and play on the computer all day and make 100k a year doing it, and thats just not the case.

A lot of colleges dont help the matter because they advertise "Our CS degree can net you a job making 100k a year!" which is obviously untrue, unless you spend another decade becoming an absolute guru.