3750 question

jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
So we have some 3750-48-TS's at work and I have a question. They are running the SMI IP base image c3750-ipbase-mz.122-35.SE5. This image is only suppose to support the eigrp stub feature, but we have found it able to run a fully-functional eigrp as. Have any of you all ran across this, or are there some limitations that we are not seeing?

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• CChNCChN Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I verified through the Feature Navigator that you're correct - EIGRP stub is all that is available in the SMI image. The 3750s at work have 12.2(25), the base image, and stub functionality only.

Can you post some output from context sensitive help so I can see what features you have available?
    RFCs: the other, other, white meat.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you can upgrade the image for full support
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    from my test 3750

Cisco IOS Software, C3750 Software (C3750-IPBASE-M), Version 12.2(35)SE5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

avalible config under eigrp

SW3_3750(config-router)#?
    Router configuration commands:
    address-family Enter Address Family command mode
    auto-summary Enable automatic network number summarization
    default Set a command to its defaults
    default-information Control distribution of default information
    default-metric Set metric of redistributed routes
    distance Define an administrative distance
    distribute-list Filter networks in routing updates
    eigrp EIGRP specific commands
    exit Exit from routing protocol configuration mode
    help Description of the interactive help system
    maximum-paths Forward packets over multiple paths
    metric Modify IGRP routing metrics and parameters
    neighbor Specify a neighbor router
    network Enable routing on an IP network
    no Negate a command or set its defaults
    offset-list Add or subtract offset from IGRP or RIP metrics
    passive-interface Suppress routing updates on an interface
    redistribute Redistribute information from another routing protocol
    timers Adjust routing timers
    traffic-share How to compute traffic share over alternate paths
    variance Control load balancing variance

how is this just the stub features? or exactly what are the stub limitations as this seems to be identical to the eigrp features on my 3640 router?
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Devil,
    Thats what I ran into as well. We got like 6 3750's for remote sites, and I was just playing around with them, and was able to fully configure eigrp, not just a stub router. I dunno, just something I thought other people might have run into.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Sometimes features are present in a particular IOS version for a particular platform even if it shouldn't be there. If it doesn't officially support that feature then I wouldn't rely on it to always be there though. MPLS TE isn't listed as a feature of a 2600XM but it appeared in 12.3 but then disappeared in 12.4+.
  • jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    tiersten wrote: »
    Sometimes features are present in a particular IOS version for a particular platform even if it shouldn't be there. If it doesn't officially support that feature then I wouldn't rely on it to always be there though. MPLS TE isn't listed as a feature of a 2600XM but it appeared in 12.3 but then disappeared in 12.4+.

Well said. Your probably right in that regard. Thanks for the input guys.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Devil,
    Thats what I ran into as well. We got like 6 3750's for remote sites, and I was just playing around with them, and was able to fully configure eigrp, not just a stub router. I dunno, just something I thought other people might have run into.

Have you actually read up on what stub routing is? I have never actually used it but reading it is seems that STUB routing is an extension to EIGRP, from reading the set up you still have to be able to configure EIGRP on both routers before STUB routing will work. So i get the feeling that the ipbase image should have a fully active EIGRP setup.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.