ICND2 Hub and Spoke Lab (Frame Relay/ROAS/Routing Protocols)

SMR511SMR511 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
Here's a lab I put together. I've been configuring and erasing RIP2, EIGRP and OSPF at various points and it's really helped me see the differences and get the configs down quick. Hope you find it helpful as well.

http://www.steverieck.com/fr-lab2.pdf

The 3 switches each have ports in VLANs 1,2 and 3 and are trunking. I'm doing Router on a stick on R1' Fa0/0 interface.

The serial link to R2 is Multipoint.
The serial link to R3 is Point-to-Point.

The notes at the bottom are just things for me to remember.

Comments

• phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Just curious, why are you including ISL encapsulation? Are the switches old?
  • SMR511SMR511 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    2950's.

The Trainsignal (Chris Bryant) stuff I've been studying and the Odom book both include a comparison between dot1q and ISL (full encapsulation, 4 byte header, blah blah...) so I figured I better learn to configure both for the ICND2 exam ?
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    SMR511 wrote: »
    I figured I better learn to configure both for the ICND2 exam ?
    That's still a good idea -- and that's why I usually suggest a cheap old switch like the 2924XL-EN as a 3rd switch for the CCNA Lab.

Remember that the 2950 only supports 802.1Q Trunking. An old switch, or a 3550 (if you're building up your CCNA home lab to the CCNP level) will support ISL. So the people out there using the 2950 shouldn't freak out when they can't find an option to set the trunk encapsulation.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    SMR511 wrote: »
    2950's.

The Trainsignal (Chris Bryant) stuff I've been studying and the Odom book both include a comparison between dot1q and ISL (full encapsulation, 4 byte header, blah blah...) so I figured I better learn to configure both for the ICND2 exam ?

Without disclosing too much, yes, you should know the differences between dot1q and isl.
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    mikej412 wrote: »
    That's still a good idea -- and that's why I usually suggest a cheap old switch like the 2924XL-EN as a 3rd switch for the CCNA Lab.

That's exactly what I just pulled out of the closet!!