Overlap

daveccnadaveccna Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I have 1 router and i'm attempting to add some ips to a couple of interfaces.

I've placed 10.0.0.1/30 on my serial interface.

I try to put 10.0.0.5/28 on another interface but it complains of a conflict with the serial interface on 10.0.0.0

As far as I can tell there is no overlap. The complaint of overlapping with 10.0.0.0 suggests to me that the router can't handle classless?
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.
-Sun Tzu-

Comments

• daveccnadaveccna Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Interestingly if I put the /30 at the top of the range it's allowed so

s0/0 ip 10.0.0.253/30 and
    fa1/0 ip 10.0.0.1/28

works just fine.
    Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.
    -Sun Tzu-
  • geccogecco Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Change the 3rd octet to something other than ZERO in one of your interfaces.
    Also, just curious why you're using IP subnet zero?
    I wouldn't use this if you can help it.

You may have to turn on IP SUBNET ZERO which is not needed in a lab environment.
    Just go 10.0.1.x and 10.0.2.x and make your life easy.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    10.0.0.1/30 = 10.0.0.0 - 10.0.0.4

10.0.0.5/28 = 10.0.0.0 - 10.0.0.15

They certainly do overlap.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    gecco wrote: »
    Change the 3rd octet to something other than ZERO in one of your interfaces.
    Also, just curious why you're using IP subnet zero?
    I wouldn't use this if you can help it.

You may have to turn on IP SUBNET ZERO which is not needed in a lab environment.
    Just go 10.0.1.x and 10.0.2.x and make your life easy.

Why would you not use subnet zero? Thats just a waste of perfectly good IPs.
  • daveccnadaveccna Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    10.0.0.1/30 = 10.0.0.0 - 10.0.0.4

10.0.0.5/28 = 10.0.0.0 - 10.0.0.15

They certainly do overlap.

Ahh for some reason I had assumed that the router would reserve the first 4 as belonging to the first network entry and be ok with the starting address of .5 for the next network.

With this in mind would it have been alright with .17/28?
    -Sun Tzu-
    daveccna wrote: »
    Ahh for some reason I had assumed that the router would reserve the first 4 as belonging to the first network entry and be ok with the starting address of .5 for the next network.

With this in mind would it have been alright with .17/28?

Yes, .17 would work fine. The router can't just "reserve" some addresses out of another range. Its all just 1's and 0's to the router.
  • geccogecco Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Why would you not use subnet zero? Thats just a waste of perfectly good IPs.

In real life with many networks, sure. In a lab environment with ONE router...no reason to add complexity, Keep it simple.
    In real life with many networks, sure. In a lab environment with ONE router...no reason to add complexity, Keep it simple.

I guess if you think using the zero subnet is complex. I always thought the reservation of the zero subnet to be more complex then just being able to use it.
  • mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    Surely the lab environment for CCNA is the place to learn about "subnet zero"icon_scratch.gif
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • hexemhexem Member Posts: 177
    the use of subnet zero has been accepted and used for along time, no need not to use it, i certainly use it in real world and lab.
    ICND1 - Passed 25/01/10
    ICND2 - Passed 9/03/10

Studying CCNA:S