Options

Need interview advice

xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
I'd appreciate any advice you guys could give me on this. I was contacted today by a staffing agency that wants to interview me for a Server Admin position and have a couple of questions:

1. Should I not get too excited about this call since it's a staffing agency and a not a company directly? Should I still expect technical questions in the interview?

2. They asked me to bring 3 "business references". Who exactly qualifies as an acceptable reference? I only have 2 IT jobs on my resume from the past 8 years and I still work for BOTH of them. Neither of them know I'm applying or job searching either so I'd rather not involve them unless I have a firm offer.

I have a friend that I went to college with who is now an IT project manager. Would he be acceptable? I also have an IT related college professor that I see occasionally. How about her? And lastly, what about clients that I have done server work for at my current job? Are they off limits?

3. Would you still wear a suit since its a hiring agency or would you dress nice and save that for an actual interview with the company?

Some of these may be dumb questions but honestly, with 8 years experience in IT, I've never been on a formal job interview. That in itself makes me very nervous.
CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    xenodamus wrote: »
    I'd appreciate any advice you guys could give me on this. I was contacted today by a staffing agency that wants to interview me for a Server Admin position and have a couple of questions:

1. Should I not get too excited about this call since it's a staffing agency and a not a company directly? Should I still expect technical questions in the interview?

To me that shouldn't make a difference. Have you worked with this agency before? Do you know them personally? Did they say anything else about the position (contract, contract to hire, direct hire, salary range, etc)? I think you should go with the expectation that you are going to interview with the IT manager and the president of the company. Choose you words carefully and express you technical knowledge well.
    2. They asked me to bring 3 "business references". Who exactly qualifies as an acceptable reference? I only have 2 IT jobs on my resume from the past 8 years and I still work for BOTH of them. Neither of them know I'm applying or job searching either so I'd rather not involve them unless I have a firm offer.

I have a friend that I went to college with who is now an IT project manager. Would he be acceptable? I also have an IT related college professor that I see occasionally. How about her? And lastly, what about clients that I have done server work for at my current job? Are they off limits?

I try to use coworkers that worked with me, maybe a manager or two. Avoid friends and never use family; I think the professor is more of a personal reference (unless you took a class with him/her). I wouldn't use the friend as a business reference.
    3. Would you still wear a suit since its a hiring agency or would you dress nice and save that for an actual interview with the company?

Some of these may be dumb questions but honestly, with 8 years experience in IT, I've never been on a formal job interview. That in itself makes me very nervous.

I would wear a suit if you own one (I don't icon_redface.gif). If your suit doesn't fit or is in bad repair, nice slacks with a shirt and tie is fine.

Judging from your certs listed I do have a question that I want to ask. Do you have any server admin exp? What is your current role now? If you have the A+ and 8 years of exp, a recruiter may ask why don't you have any higher level certs. With 8 years of exp I would expect to see at least an MCSE, RHCE, SCNA, CNE, and other certs of that nature. I am not trying to be rude or anything but I am just saying. This may come up.

Good luck with the interview!!!!
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would not get too excited.

References can be abyoe with whom you have worked directly (managers, peers, etc). You are kind of in a tough spot there....

I would always wear a suit.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I would not get too excited.

References can be abyoe with whom you have worked directly (managers, peers, etc). You are kind of in a tough spot there....

I would always wear a suit.

My thoughts exactly.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    Judging from your certs listed I do have a question that I want to ask. Do you have any server admin exp? What is your current role now?

Heres a link to my resume I posted previously:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/52529-resume-critique-desktop-support-job.html

Here's the deal....I've been the lead tech at a mom and pop operation since 2002. The majority of what I do on a daily basis there is PC repair, but I have setup a few new domains for small businesses and done server work on an hourly basis for clients in the area. This job is the main reason I never went for any advanced certs. They placed no value on certs and I was happy in my position.....until here recently. I've gone back for the ICND1 because I just recently decided I want to move up in the world.

I also have been teaching a high school IT curriculum since 2007. I teach basic server 2k3 functions as a part of the class and handle issues on the campus servers when the need arises. We have three 2k3 boxes, one of which I installed and setup (our DHCP server), but the only issues that usually come up are adding users and routine things like that.

Honestly, I don't feel like the most qualified person for this position, but have confidence I could pick up anything I don't know if this turned into a job offer. What are your feelings on applying for a job that you don't feel fully qualified for?

Edit to add: I don't know anything about the agency or the position (direct/contract). I applied for 5-10 positions on careerbuilder.com and sent my resume out. I almost wonder if I should bother taking off work for the interview when I really don't see myself as a prime candidate for the postition.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd apply anyway and hope they like your ambition. Thats pretty much how I got my current job. I didn't have experience working on a service provider backbone, but I showed what I have done and that I have knowledge that applies. They seemed to like the fact that I had applicable knowledge and really wanted the job even though I didn't have the exact experience or certifications they were elooking for.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Heres a link to my resume I posted previously:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/52529-resume-critique-desktop-support-job.html

Here's the deal....I've been the lead tech at a mom and pop operation since 2002. The majority of what I do on a daily basis there is PC repair, but I have setup a few new domains for small businesses and done server work on an hourly basis for clients in the area. This job is the main reason I never went for any advanced certs. They placed no value on certs and I was happy in my position.....until here recently. I've gone back for the ICND1 because I just recently decided I want to move up in the world.

I also have been teaching a high school IT curriculum since 2007. I teach basic server 2k3 functions as a part of the class and handle issues on the campus servers when the need arises. We have three 2k3 boxes, one of which I installed and setup (our DHCP server), but the only issues that usually come up are adding users and routine things like that.

If you are working with Server 2003 and Teaching 2003 you should be able to do the MCSA/E with no issues. If you truly have that knowledge then it seems that the issue is you certs to reflect your skillset, which may or may not be a problem.
    Honestly, I don't feel like the most qualified person for this position, but have confidence I could pick up anything I don't know if this turned into a job offer. What are your feelings on applying for a job that you don't feel fully qualified for?

There is always going to be someone with more certs/degrees/exp than you. To me you just have to know that you can do the job (or can learn how to do it quickly). Being in one place for that long can dull you, and you can become complacent in your position, and less likely to make a move because you don't want to start from the bottom again. But you have to realize that its time to move. Get out there. Get certified. Make a move for your career. Start knocking on doors.
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    Did they say anything else about the position (contract, contract to hire, direct hire, salary range, etc)?

I just called the agency to ask this question and it would be temp to hire. I really don't like the sound of that. I work for the state right now and I don't know if I want to let go of that job security.

Have you ever rejected an interview offer for that reason? Maybe its just me, but I like to know that when I'm hired, I'm hired. You know what I mean? Salary range was $45-55k btw, since that was asked as well.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have done many times and the recruiters have always understood. It's just too much insecurity to suject yourself to in this environment.
  • Options
    Thanks - you guys have been a great resource in my time of need. icon_wink.gif I don't think I'm going to interview for this position, so life can go on for now. Back to the books icon_study.gif