Options

Is it worth investing all this money on myself

thomas130thomas130 Member Posts: 184
Hi guys looking around the forum and other sites lately and I have noticed alot of negative stuff about getting your degree's and certs won't help you really get a job you mainly need contacts to get decent paying jobs.

At the moment I have nearly been in IT for 3 years the first job I started was doing 1st line support with added duties in the second year of a second line analyst. This job involve 1st/2nd line support for the users. Active directory and exchange administration as well doing build and keeping an up to date cmdb database.

Also in this job I completed my Hnc started my degree and attended training courses for A+ and Itil v3.

In January I started a new job that i believe would allow more experience basically hear there is no 1st, 2nd 3rd line here. At the moment we just implemented a windows environment around 1000 machine across 12 sites. I support/build the servers do the backups and do a little of cisco networking as well write shell scripts, rollouts etc.

At the moment I will complete my degree next year
The year after I will finish my post graduate in advance networking this should give my ccnp as well
The year after my masters.
I will also have the time to get my Microsoft stuff done too.

The only problem is I don't really have any contacts. I have been told they are very impressed with me and don't want to lose and they know I'm doing my CCNP and degree stuff and have been told once I finish this I would move up and be on a lot more money. However I have been promised things before that have never happen. ( not at this place just other jobs)

I could leave however I just worried that I still end up having to go for low end paying jobs. I don't mind spending all this money on myself I just worried I won't get anything out of it.

Comments

• Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Your degrees and Certs will always help you in finding a Job. The more weapons you have the better. However with no experience you will have to start at the bottom and work your way up. This is normal in all careers, you just dont graduate and get a senior position. At the same time because of this trend , this doesn't mean to not get educated and just start at an entry level job then work your way up. In any way working your way up the corporate ladder will involve some sort of study. As far as the IT industry i dont think its necessary to get Masters or PH.D in our field.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It sounds like it's a good investment to me. Remember the formula for (IT) job success includes experience, education, certification, networking (connections) and luck.

You have no reason not to believe your current employer -- and your continued education and certification will only make you more valuable to your current employer or a new employer. Plus you're racking up experience.

While the job market does suck now -- and probably will continue to suck for quite some time -- education and knowledge is always a good investment.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It sounds like you're on a good path now. You have experience and you're getting more. You're advancing your education and getting more certs. Your employer will soon be in a position where you will be able to get a different job ifhe doesn't raise your salary.
    Your present situation is what a lot of people on here would like to be in. You shouldn't be wondering if it's worth it but just keep working like you have been and you'll do fine.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    goforthbmerrygoforthbmerry Member Posts: 244
    I agree with many of the others. It sounds like you are on a good path and getting good experience to complement your degrees and certification plan. Don't let the negative talk bother you too much. Sure the job market is tougher out there but there are also a lot of jobs to be had. A negative attitude about a career path becomes a self fulfilling prophesy. The contacts will come with time. Join a local IT professional groups if you think your need more help in that area.
    Going for MCSE:security, Intermediate ITIL, PMP
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    thomas130 wrote: »
    Hi guys looking around the forum and other sites lately and I have noticed alot of negative stuff about getting your degree's and certs won't help you really get a job you mainly need contacts to get decent paying jobs.

Not certain what you've read, but it boils down to the actual candidate.

There does seem to be several posts I've read where folks are looking for the 'magic pill' approach to landing a job that would take a typical person 20-30 years to mature into.

Sure some think 'IT' is the young crowd, but working in a corporate environement takes personality and the ability to deal a variety of personalities as well as some understanding of how business works. So a person may be a complete 'whiz' at the 'IT' part, but they are too green for a management position or a department position whereby others will be lead by them.

I am not saying that doesn't happen from time-to-time, but it's not typical.

A college degree will be typically more favorable in the job hunt then certifications...and certifications (earned not a paper cert-holder) will be more valuable then someone without any method to measure their knowledge. All that is trumped if you have a 'buddy' or some 'in' to get you hired into that ideal position. TO keep that position....THEN you'll need to prove it, but I don't recall reading any posts whereby someone would advise self-investing.

SO, college trumps certs alone, certs trumps no formal education and no certs, networking with people can trump all.

Invest in yourself and you'll likely be fine. icon_study.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It looks that you got a good plan, keep going.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It is ALWAYS a good idea to invest in yourself! Networking is a part of that. When you go to take these classes, network with your classmates. I have a shoe box where i keep every business card i have received. I have a ton. Thankfully i havent had to use them in the last 5 years. But next time im in the market, i will email every single one of them! Good luck!!! Sounds like your on the right track!
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You have a great foundation going right now. Yes, contacts can make a big impact. But like the other things we talk about here, it isn't "THE" thing that will make you consistently successful... the other stuff has to be there too.

You say you've changed jobs a couple of times and everyone has been pleased with your performance. Do you keep up with the folks from your previous jobs? Have you thought of getting your prior supervisors to write up a letter of recommendation to have available for your next job search? Have you joined any social networking sites like LinkedIn that are more geared toward professional networking?

Yes, knowing people is important, having a proven track record as both a good employee and a capable engineer is important, having certifications is important, having a degree will help you be considered for more advanced positions. If you have made progress in those areas you need to work on how you present yourself. How you communicate written and in person, how you carry yourself, the confidence you exude, the perception of how well you collaborate with others... these things will help you get over the top.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...