Options

What to do?

So im 21 years old... And im currently a Electric engineer student.. I like electronics alot but i also like computers alot.

So i have few certifications, ill be getting my MCSE in the next couple months and my CCNA as well.. So i will have all of this certs:

A+, N+, S+, MCP, MCSA:S, MCSE:S, and CCNA

Right now i work as a regular help desk guy (sucks) making low money because of my school schedule was the only part time job in IT i was able to find. My question is: What should i do?

A) Focus and finish my Electric engineer degree
B) Keep going on the MS route and get the the 2008 certs (MCITP)
C) Go the cisco route and get my CCNP

im confused :)
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    As far as the degree, if you are really close you should finish it out. If you arent into the electrical engineering specifics yet, consider changing it to an IT or business major. But either way, I would finish it.

The MCITP vs CCNP thing will have to be a personal choice. Decide what you want to do and go after it.

Also, while you may not be able to work a full time schedule thats required for some IT jobs, that doesnt mean you cant ask for more responsibility at work. Tell them about your higher level certifications and how you want to, at the very least, observe some of these technologies in action and if possible help the teams that manage them.
  • Options
    SupermiguelSupermiguel Member Posts: 122
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    As far as the degree, if you are really close you should finish it out. If you arent into the electrical engineering specifics yet, consider changing it to an IT or business major. But either way, I would finish it.

The MCITP vs CCNP thing will have to be a personal choice. Decide what you want to do and go after it.

Also, while you may not be able to work a full time schedule thats required for some IT jobs, that doesnt mean you cant ask for more responsibility at work. Tell them about your higher level certifications and how you want to, at the very least, observe some of these technologies in action and if possible help the teams that manage them.

im 2 years into it... 2 more to go :)
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    im 2 years into it... 2 more to go :)
    So you've gotten most of the gen ed classes and math and physics done. You could switch majors if IT interests you more. I'd basically stay in school and try to advance at the job you have. You could even look into Co-op if your school has such a program.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You're working and getting experience.

You're in school and working on a degree.

You've got certifications and it looks like you plan to continue to work on certifications.

Based on what you've said I vote D -- stay the course.

You are keeping your grades up, right?

What about internships? Are those a possibility? If you have no personal preference on certifications, which certifications would be of interest to local employers who've offered internships in the past?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    You're working and getting experience.

You're in school and working on a degree.

You've got certifications and it looks like you plan to continue to work on certifications.

Based on what you've said I vote D -- stay the course.

You are keeping your grades up, right?

What about internships? Are those a possibility? If you have no personal preference on certifications, which certifications would be of interest to local employers who've offered internships in the past?

and no internships for now.. mostly they only offer them to seniors... also i just have to find a better job.. in mine they dont care if you are bill gates you do the same as every one else and make the money money... i make the same as some one that doesnt even have A+ and barely knows how to install windows.
    yup grades are good the only thing is that i think when ever i get my EE degree all the certs i have wot be worth a *** :) so thats why im thinking to stop when ever i get my MCSE and CCNA...
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    I would say finish your degree first.

With certs, they are technnology and version specific, they will always (need to) be updated.

-Ken
  • Options
    NinjaBoy wrote: »
    I would say finish your degree first.

With certs, they are technnology and version specific, they will always (need to) be updated.

-Ken

Good point
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I dont see why you should change what your doing. you are doing all the right things. Stay in school while gaining experience at your helpdesk. I did the same thing while i was getting my comp sci degree. By the time you graduate you will have a few years experience, your certs and a BS degree. you should be in great position to find employment. If you can find a coop or internship somewhere even better. But seriously, you are setting yourself up with a great foundation of education, skills and experience. Keep up the good work!!!!
  • Options
    I dont see why you should change what your doing. you are doing all the right things. Stay in school while gaining experience at your helpdesk. I did the same thing while i was getting my comp sci degree. By the time you graduate you will have a few years experience, your certs and a BS degree. you should be in great position to find employment. If you can find a coop or internship somewhere even better. But seriously, you are setting yourself up with a great foundation of education, skills and experience. Keep up the good work!!!!

well the only thing i was kinda worry about is how usefull will certifications be when i finish my career?
  • Options
    well the only thing i was kinda worry about is how usefull will certifications be when i finish my career?
    When you finish your career? you mean when you retire? They wont mean anything. They will be beneficial at the beginning of your career to open more doors. They way i look at things, i want as many doors open to me as possible.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So im 21 years old... And im currently a Electric engineer student.. I like electronics alot but i also like computers alot.

So i have few certifications, ill be getting my MCSE in the next couple months and my CCNA as well.. So i will have all of this certs:

A+, N+, S+, MCP, MCSA:S, MCSE:S, and CCNA

Right now i work as a regular help desk guy (sucks) making low money because of my school schedule was the only part time job in IT i was able to find. My question is: What should i do?

A) Focus and finish my Electric engineer degree
    B) Keep going on the MS route and get the the 2008 certs (MCITP)
    C) Go the cisco route and get my CCNP
    Finish you degree while you are young. As you get older life starts to happen, and it becomes a lot harder to complete your degree. Most people get married and have kids, and this can make going to school a whole lot harder. So I say finish your degree while you’re young. Also, if you can take the A+, Security+, and Network+ before the end of this year, then do it! If you finish these certs before the year is done, then they won’t expire. By the way, I think help desk is a great position for a 21 year old.
    Good Luck

im confused :)
    Finish you degree while you are young. As you get older life starts to happen, and it becomes a lot harder to complete your degree. Most people get married and have kids, and this can make going to school a whole lot harder. So I say finish your degree while you’re young. Also, if you can take the A+, Security+, and Network+ before the end of this year, then do it! If you finish these certs before the year is done, then they won’t expire. By the way, I think help desk is a great position for a 21 year old.
    Good Luck
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    When you finish your career? you mean when you retire? They wont mean anything. They will be beneficial at the beginning of your career to open more doors. They way i look at things, i want as many doors open to me as possible.

my degree is what i meant to say sorry.. when i finish my ee degree
  • Options
    Good Luck

I have A+, N+ S+, MCP, MCSA right now
  • Options
    my degree is what i meant to say sorry.. when i finish my ee degree

even with a degree your certs still have much value. i didnt get my MCSE until like 4 years after i got my Comp Sci Degree. Again, both have value. and together they are even more valuable!
  • Options
    so the verdict is: finish my MCSE, finish CCNA.. And forget about certs for a while and focus only on EE