Options

a

2»

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    earweed wrote: »
    I've been reading some reviews of Transcender for Windows 7 on the WGU site and they're not good.

The best part about transcender though is that they take user feedback. If I find something that is wrong I send them feedback and let them know. The next day I will usually get a response which justifies why their answer is correct. One time the response was that the question was under review and in 10 days they would publish the changes. I'm still waiting to find out the result. It is service like this that helps me learn things and helps transcender sell a better product.

So the more people that buy, and use the tool the better it becomes. The A+ was probably so good because thousands of people have taken it and improved it. While the Windows 7 is a pretty new addition.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    jdawg131jdawg131 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just took my test and failed with a 660. I personally cannot recommend the Sybex book to anyone. It glossed over a good portion of the commands and really left a lot of gaps. I honestly don't want to know how bad my score would've been if not for MeasureUp.

I ordered the Microsoft Self Paced book (should get here next week), so I'll be back at it as soon as I get it. It sucks to know that I was just 2-3 questions away from passing.

This was my first Microsoft test and it's definitely much, much harder than A+. LOL.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jdawg131 wrote: »
    I just took my test and failed with a 660. I personally cannot recommend the Sybex book to anyone. It glossed over a good portion of the commands and really left a lot of gaps. I honestly don't want to know how bad my score would've been if not for MeasureUp.

I ordered the Microsoft Self Paced book (should get here next week), so I'll be back at it as soon as I get it. It sucks to know that I was just 2-3 questions away from passing.

This was my first Microsoft test and it's definitely much, much harder than A+. LOL.
    You were so close. Now you know your weak areas and can concentrate on those. I also failed my first MS test (Vista) and was surprised at how much harder it was than the CompTIA tests (I hadn't found this sight yet)
    Get to work with the MS Press book and use the technet articles it references as they'll help you.
    Good luck on your retake!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    I see what you meant about the cookies questions. I never did see where those were explained. Makes me wonder if the author forgot a section or two?
    All the OS tests usually have some mention about cookies, if the book skipped it you'll need to find a technet article or just play with your privacy settings to be familiar with them.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    jdawg131jdawg131 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    All the OS tests usually have some mention about cookies, if the book skipped it you'll need to find a technet article or just play with your privacy settings to be familiar with them.

That's the issue with the Sybex book. There was a ton of stuff on the MeasureUp practice tests and the real Microsoft test that was briefly skimmed over or not even mentioned in the Sybex book. It's never a good sign when you're taking the real test and seeing material/commands for the first time. It was a bad feeling. LOL.
    I know that you should always use multiple sources to cover all of your bases, but this book just left way too many holes. Mike Myers' All in One Study Guide for A+ covered the vast majority of the material and the Transcender tests filled in the rest. Maybe I'm expecting too much from a resource book, but I just didn't find the Sybex very thorough. I can see where it would be useful if you've mastered XP/Vista and just need a quick brush up on the new features of 7 though.

I honestly have no one to blame but myself. I rushed the test (I’d only been studying for about 10 days), because I have an interview tomorrow and wanted to throw in another cert.
  • Options
    parttimetechieparttimetechie Member Posts: 156
    Chapter 7 Question 6 about will and permissions. Can someone who has read this book explain this to me? Why is Full Control the answer when that is the least restrictive permission?
  • Options
    PedroggPedrogg Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think what you are reffering to is question 6 on chapter 6. The reason Full control is the answer is because he is a member of the admin group which in this case gives him full NTFS and Share control.
  • Options
    parttimetechieparttimetechie Member Posts: 156
    Ya, I meant Ch 6. Why was Chapter 6 Q1 the answer it was though? B/C they weren't part of the admin group?
  • Options
    robinsonrobinson Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been using Sybex books for several years now.Only used a Sybex book once and never again. You cannot make a mistake by using Microsoft Press books.
  • Options
    robinson wrote: »
    I've been using Sybex books for several years now.Only used a Sybex book once and never again. You cannot make a mistake by using Microsoft Press books.
    If you've seen the MS Press book for the 70-680 you'd know why people were trying to find an alternative. The first few chapters are really poorly written and to really get the info you need you need to access pretty much every technet article the book references.