70-640 Sybex Book

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
Has anyone here used the Sybex book while studying for this exam?
Did it help? The MS Press book, so far, has left me feeling as if I know les after every chapter. I've started reading the Sybex book hoping it would explain things better.
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I haven't done this particular exam but both series tend to launch a very dry and tedious studying experience. If you can, get hold of a CBT. Learning is much more effective and can speed up the pace.
  • crisb20crisb20 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used primarily the Sybex book and passed by about 25 points. I got about 1/3 of the way through the MS book and gave up. The MS book is an excellent reference, but it was too much for me to digest for exam preperation.
  • crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    I looked at the Exam Cram and Sybex books, and found the MS Press to be far better for the 640 (imo). I also had CBT's that I watched once, which had a few good pointers, but didn't provide anything extra for the exam for me. I would just recommend labbing anything and everything about this exam, and you will do fine.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm going to use all three books (MS, Sybex, and Exam Cram ). Exam Cram is basically the thin book which is good for generalizations which can help me understand what I'm learning better. I currently have IT Academy (wouldn't classify it as CBT) and find that it's drier than the book and less informative.
    Looking at CBT's but they're all very expensive. I've heard trainsignal was good for 70-640 and I'm looking at testout (labsim) since they were so good for the Net+ and Sec+.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.