Options

Dumb question about iPods.

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
Will they play any mp3? I assume so, but I see all this crap about iTunes and I don't want to spend $300 on something that can't play stuff I download.

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The iPod supports:
    AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 (32 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Apple Lossless, WAV, AIFF, Audible

icon_arrow.gifwww.apple.com/ipod/specs.html
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I honestly don't see the point unless your riding alot.
  • Options
    In what, spending the money on an iPod?
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I think there cool, but wow they are expensive. I don't ever use head phones so it wouldn't help me out to have one. It would be nice to have one in a long car ride, BOSE makes an adapter for them? I just checked out webmasters link & that IPOD for pictures is nice....I wouldn't mind having one of those.
  • Options
    GawdGawd Member Posts: 132
    There great for lots of stuff, Exercising, Class, tuning out an annoying friend.. I guess a car if your car has a tape deck or just a radio. Although, I dont think theres a need to be able to carry your entire mp3 collection around with you. a 256MB mp3 player would be much better imho. There solid-state and extremly small.

Gawd
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I bought the Rio Nitrus a long time ago, and it holds more than enough (I think somewhere around 700-800 mp3's). I rarely have had to add more to that anyways. I never have time to even listen to half of those songs anyways..I wouldn't know what to do with 20GB's or whatever the iPods come in.
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think the iPod's are ok. I really don't see a need to have 20-40GB's of music in an mp3 player. I don't think anyone could listen to 20-40GB's of music in one day. I use my mp3 player at the gym everyday. Nexus IIe with a 256MB flash card in it and it works great. I put lots of music in it and I didn't spend $300 for it. Mine cost me $69 icon_wink.gif

IMO...The iPods are just a fad and people are buying them because everyone else is. I wouldn't mind having one, but I'm not going out there to drop 3 bills on it...I can think of more useful things to do with $300.

http://www.mp3playerstore.com/buy_it_now__/nex_mp3_player.htm icon_wink.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    Actually, I don't want to spend $300. I also don't necessarily want an iPod. I just wanted a decent mp3 player, but would like more than 256mb if possible. I was looking at a 4 gig iPod, but they are only around $60 cheaper than a 20 gig. I'll look into the Rio Nitrus.
  • Options
  • Options
    Computer_Wizz_PizzaguyComputer_Wizz_Pizzaguy Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    IMO the best way to go, non digital, but hey, is to get a cdplayer with MP3 tech. I can easily fit a hundred songs on a CD and since the files are small enough, the player actually loads the song to onboard ram before it plays it, so it is still skipless. They're cheap too, about 60 bucks, and you don't have to unload the songs when you wanna switch, just pop in the next CD.

But then, what do i know :P
  • Options
    yea, but unless your sitting somewhere, the cd mp3 players arent too convenient.
    I would actually like to get an mp3 player with a wrist strap, that would be great for the gym. All I really need in an mp3 player is about an hour and a half of music anyways. I have a CD-Player in my car for driving, and I use my computer at home for music. So really the gym and some boring moments at school is when I would use it.

Gawd
  • Options
    I guess I shoule elaborate. I have my home PC with eh, roughly 40gigs of music. I dj, for an explanation and I own about 90% of the music. I have a Sony Minidisc player, it's starting to crap out, but I can fit about 4 full CD's on a disc at about 80kbps. Not bad.

I have a portable DVD player, coupled with my DVD burner, I can easily fit 800-1000 mp3's on a disc....translates to a couple days of music. Of course, lugging the lil thing around sucks.

Then as I siad I have my CD/MP3/WMA player, it's small, regular CD player size, and has a nice belt clip.

:D But then I have a 560watt surround sound so if I'm home I don't have to worry about hearing anything :D
  • Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would look into this one. If you want a mp3 player for the gym that is small light weight and cheap then check this one out. I use it for the gym...I've also had it for about 3 years and I have not had any problems with it. Takes 2 AA batteries and they last forever!!! It has a 5 band eq. as well as some pre-set settings. It uses a flash card and IBM's 1GB microdrive. On mine I have a 256MB and I also carry a 512MB flash card. That's plenty of music for the gym. Also Flash cards are cheap now. I don't think you'll regret investing in this one. icon_wink.gif

I use to have the RIO and hated!!! It had built-in rechargable batteries which sucked because if you're at the gym or where ever you are and your batteries die then you're SOL. With this one if your batteries die all you have to do is pop 2 AA batteries in and you're ready to go....it happend to me when I had the RIO which I returned.

http://www.mp3playerstore.com/buy_it_now__/nex_mp3_player.htm
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have several different ways of delivering music to my ears - Walkman, Diskman, Mini Disk, Disk MP3, Ipod, Solid State MP3. I have had the disk in my Ipod replaced twice and don't use it much at all now. The MP3 player I have is 512 Mb and holds about 160 tunes - that is more than enough for my needs.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    On A Side note, whats everyones favorite app for Ripping Mp3s? Ive tried a few different free apps as well as music match jukebox. So Far ive found Music Match the best. Im always looking for a way to get the best possable quality tho.
    Right now in Music Match I do full VBR, with Error-Detection and all the crap enabled. ;)

Gawd
  • Options
    I use music match jukebox as well for ripping. I rarely rip my CD's onto my comp, however. I use music match for a lot of mp3-playing, and I use the line-in recording feature to record music (I am a musician), so whenever I get new ideas, I can type the title, and hit record and have my mp3 right there.
  • Options
    I have cd wallets full of cds stole twice now, so I always make sure I rip my cds. Nothing worse then actually finding a good cd and paying for it then having it stolen.

Gawd
  • Options
    That, or when they get cracked and only half the tracks will play. icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    hm, I never really thought of that. I don't have much of a problem with theft of my CD's (unless friends borrowing and never returning them counts!), but I do have a few CD's I really wanted to hear that are cracked...maybe I'll have to rip em from now on. :-/
  • Options
    Fu LoserFu Loser Member Posts: 123
    All you need is a headphone to cassate converter and your set for your car.
  • Options
    That will play the music no doubt, but not good. :) What you need is an alpine deck, Clarion Component Speakers, and 2 15" Kicker Subs, THEN your Set!

:o
    Gawd
  • Options
    Don't forget the crossover, EQ, external amp..etc!
  • Options
    I use CDex....works great and has up to 320kbps.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CDex works for me too
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007