HOP count and distance

e24ohme24ohm Member Posts: 151
I am having a hard time understanding HOP count. What happens if the destination is beyond the hop count for RIP? Does a static route need to be placed instead, or will this never work, and a better topology needs to developed?
Utini!

Comments

• notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Well, they say RIP is for smaller networks, and EIGRP/OSPF are for bigger networks. I could be wrong, at least that's my take....

If you have a handful of routers 8-10 in your network, then RIP seems like a reasonable choice.

I believe once you go beyond the hop count of 15, the router will drop the packet...

I'm not entirely sure what the process is if you have say, 18 routers with literally 18 hops....
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    e24ohm wrote: »
    I am having a hard time understanding HOP count. What happens if the destination is beyond the hop count for RIP? Does a static route need to be placed instead, or will this never work, and a better topology needs to developed?

If a route is beyond RIP's maximum hop count, then that route will be dropped from the routing table. You could use a static route to overcome this, but at that point you'd be better off deploying EIGRP or OSPF
  • e24ohme24ohm Member Posts: 151
    If a route is beyond RIP's maximum hop count, then that route will be dropped from the routing table. You could use a static route to overcome this, but at that point you'd be better off deploying EIGRP or OSPF
    Ok understand and that makes great sense....thanks mate.
    Utini!
  • e24ohme24ohm Member Posts: 151
    Well, they say RIP is for smaller networks, and EIGRP/OSPF are for bigger networks. I could be wrong, at least that's my take....

If you have a handful of routers 8-10 in your network, then RIP seems like a reasonable choice.

I believe once you go beyond the hop count of 15, the router will drop the packet...

I'm not entirely sure what the process is if you have say, 18 routers with literally 18 hops....
    Thanks for the help, and working with me on this issue.
    Utini!