Options

how to get experience?

chevy454chevy454 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
How do i get experience if the entry level jobs require experience? i was browsing for jobs yesterday and every entry level job i saw required at least two years experience

Comments

• Options
    SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    If you don't know anybody who can give you a job, your best bet is to volunteer in some way and work on certs while you're doing it.
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • Options
    pml1pml1 Member Posts: 147
    Personally, if I saw and "entry level" job that required 2 years of experience, I would apply anyway. When I was hired on to my current job, the posting asked for 2-3 years of experience, and I had none, but I was able to get the job anyway.

JrSysAdmin is right on about volunteering also. I had done some menial IT work at my church which I think helped my case. It definitely wasn't anything glamorous, but I had done some computer repair and helped install some access points. I think also that volunteering demonstrates to employers that you are putting forth some effort. I know I would rather hire someone had been volunteering to gain experience instead of someone who had been sitting on their can waiting for a job to fall from the sky.
    Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You apply for those jobs anyways, have a resume that presents your qualifications in the best light possible without becoming a work of fiction, and keep doing what you can to add to your resume in the mean time.

If all the other good job candidates the employer is interested in think they're worth 100K and the job only is worth 35K to the employer, then you may get a shot at an interview.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    chevy454 wrote: »
    How do i get experience if the entry level jobs require experience? i was browsing for jobs yesterday and every entry level job i saw required at least two years experience

Often a 2 year college degree can counted as 2 years of experience. Lately, I have noticed that more and more help desk jobs require at least an Associate’s of applied Science degree in IT. However, if you want experience beyond that there are some options.
    Try free Geek
    YouTube - Welcome to Free Geek
    Free Geek - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Volunteer match is a great website, that allows you to search for volunteer opportunities.
    Use the search term Computers, and your zip code to find volunteer opportunities near you.
    VolunteerMatch - Where Volunteering Begins
    Check Easter Seals
    Easter Seals : Volunteering
    Also, any local library, church, or school will always be looking for help.
    Apply for a jobs at Microcenter:
    https://www.ultirecruit.com/MIC1003/jobboard/ListJobs.aspx?__VT=ExtCan
    or geek squad
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    thankx guy i didnt think about that, but my next question after gaining experience does a help desk tech comes first then help desk support? or does it matter
  • Options
    redline5thredline5th Member Posts: 119
    Most people will take an apprentice/intern.
    WGU - Bachelors in Information Technology

“The liberty of speaking and writing guards our other liberties.” -- Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    LAN_ManLAN_Man Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How I got my start was by volunteering in the IT Department of a local YMCA and after about 4 months my hardwork paid off and I was offered a paid position. My friend also did the same thing but for a public library. If the company is in need they will find it hard to turn down free labor, if the person has some sort of background in the field.
  • Options
    im going to try to volunteer in the IT department at school
  • Options
    redline5thredline5th Member Posts: 119
    Sounds like you're on the right track. Unfortunately the free labor kinda sucks, but it pays off as experience, which is what companies WANT. Especially if you're at school anyway, why not? Who knows it might work into a paid position later as you learn how things are laid out.
    WGU - Bachelors in Information Technology

“The liberty of speaking and writing guards our other liberties.” -- Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    chevy454 wrote: »
    im going to try to volunteer in the IT department at school

I got a lot of good experience being a student worker in the IT dept. It will definitely help boost you up a little bit. I wish you the best of luck.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I got a lot of good experience being a student worker in the IT dept. It will definitely help boost you up a little bit. I wish you the best of luck.

+1 it is also looks good on your resume. I learned a lot, and made good contacts.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    +1 it is also looks good on your resume. I learned a lot, and made good contacts.
    +2 All four people in my group (network and systems administration) are former student workers. It definitely can be useful.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    Dilan-LTDilan-LT Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I worked 1 year for free in IT company to get exp.(In my country is problem to find any IT job for newbies) Now I work tech-support .What I want to say, work hard and never give up
  • Options
    Jonny70Jonny70 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm not sure where you are but I've had a couple of acquaintances getting into IT by taking jobs managing ticketing systems. They don't actually do the tech work but they do assign tickets to the appropriate places. This has worked out well as a segue for a couple of them.