Options

Inquiring Suggestions on Career path while unemployed, please help!

FHERNANDEZFHERNANDEZ Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone, I am new to this site and I see there are many knowledgeable and helpful IT professionals here.

The reason for this post is because I would like to ask you all for your opinion on my career path as I am currently unemployed; unfortunately like many I was downsized after 7 years on the job.

I have a Associates Degree in Information Systems from a technical school.
I have 7 years on the job experience, where I held roles as Technical Project Lead (last 3 years), QA Analyst (3 Years) and Desktop Support (1 year.

My main goal is to gain a position as an IT Project Manager.
The issues I have in finding PM employment is the lack of PMP certification or "managerial title" experience in order to obtain that type of role.

Certification I have been researching for in Project Management is the PMP certification; but I do not have the prerequisites to take the test that I thought I originally had.
If you have a Bachelor's Degree, is 3 years experience minimum.....
But since I have an Associates degree. It is 5 years experience minimum.

Also I am currently not interested in an IT Technical role unless it is in a Technical Lead role where I can get paid minimum of 60k/yr but I feel I may lack on IT certifications to compete in this extremely tough job market for a lead role, what do you guys think?

Other IT certifications that I might be able to take are
CCNA or Microsoft Certifications but I do not know which ones to concentrate on.
I do not believe an A+ Certification would do much help since I am currently not looking for an entry level Computer technical position.

Any suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated, I just want to use my time off from the workforce in the best way possible, like getting certifications or making myself more marketable.

sorry for any confusions. I do not have a exact career path, I can go different ways but I just want to know whats the correct or best path at the moment or which certifications based on my needs and background I should get.

Thank you all and hope to hear from you soon.

Fernando

Comments

• Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    For management paths you can look for ITIL v3 certification. It is designed for the management of IT. It is a world wide IT management certification standard. There are other management certs that i will let others on this board chime in about.

ITIL Central

Your first step is definitely ITIL. Many folks on this board have their ITILs , I am sure they can lend some insight on how they prepared for the exam and how it has helped them in their careers.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    rage_hograge_hog Banned Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Your going to need something. Lead roles are hard to land. Look at it this way:

example-

20 guys and gals just like you

1 management slot
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    chrisone wrote: »
    For management paths you can look for ITIL v3 certification. It is designed for the management of IT. It is a world wide IT management certification standard. There are other management certs that i will let others on this board chime in about.

ITIL Central

Your first step is definitely ITIL. Many folks on this board have their ITILs , I am sure they can lend some insight on how they prepared for the exam and how it has helped them in their careers.

No offense, but you're really not stating this correctly at all. ITIL itself has nothing to do with anyone specifically seeking a job as a manager in an IT organization. ITIL is a set of best practices for the management (think delivery) of IT as services. The ITIL best practices, nor the certification scheme itself are in no way an "IT management certification standard".

Like many certifications, holding ITIL certifications without the practical experience behind it is fairly useless.

Additionally, if you're going to link to information about ITIL, link to the source: http://www.itil-officialsite.com/home/home.asp

Now, will ITIL certifications help you get a job in IT management? Maybe. Many companies look for at least foundational knowledge of ITIL, but all a foundation certificate really teaches you is terms and definitions and a tiny bit of information from the best practices, which isn't necessarily what you need to know to be a manager in any random IT organization. I would be willing to say that ITIL certifications will get a second look for many jobs (not necessarily managerial), but whether or not you get the job is determined by many other factors...

IMO, if someone wants to be a manager in an IT organization, here's what will most likely help you:
      Having previously been a manager in an IT organization
      Having good connections that can alert you to opportunities and vouch for your capabilities
      Having an undergraduate degree
      Having a graduate degree

Notice certifications didn't make my list...

MS
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you're going to such unflexible constraints on what you're willing take right now, I'm afraid you're going to have a hard time unfortunately. You're going to have to give in a little.

I don't know what it's like in your market, over here that last time I was earnestly searching the kinds of roles you described have been contract gigs. I think you would at least have to consider something like that if you want to stay focused on what you listed.

Technical lead... what exactly does that mean? What did you do?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    I appreciatte all the suggestions so far, is becoming a bit clearer now!

I do need to get some certifications to complement my overall experience. I am thinking of obtaining the basics first: A+, network+, and Security+ before the start of 2011 so they can become lifetime certs. I will then see where I stand after I complete those 3.

I am not against getting contract opportunities as I know that it is currently my best opportunity to obtain a managerial position and then build from there.

As a technical project lead..the company I worked for was outsourced to do rollouts of hardware and software upgrades . I was the subject matter expert and sole person qualified to resolve issues for all win2k, xp, vista software issues, issues with proprietary software, Basic network troubleshooting, data migration, QA. As well Escalations to clients and 3rd party vendors, training of technical staff and data reporting... overseeing the overall success of the projects, SLAs, etc... I also used to travel nationwide to support our fortune 500 clients... It was great gig.

I live in North NJ area, and to be honest, in a 6 months unemployed with my background... I only been contacted for contract jobs and still no luck.. icon_sad.gif

so that is why I need to make myself more marketable because something is not working. My resume looks good and I think i present my self and skills well in my interview..
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Have you been working with recruiters? I know they are not the best answer in some peoples opinion but they may be able to help you. You may have to take a step down from what your former job was in order to gain employment in the current market.
    With your experience you shouldn't have any problem moving up wherever you go.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    eMeS wrote: »
    No offense, but you're really not stating this correctly at all. ITIL itself has nothing to do with anyone specifically seeking a job as a manager in an IT organization. ITIL is a set of best practices for the management (think delivery) of IT as services. The ITIL best practices, nor the certification scheme itself are in no way an "IT management certification standard".

Like many certifications, holding ITIL certifications without the practical experience behind it is fairly useless.

Additionally, if you're going to link to information about ITIL, link to the source: http://www.itil-officialsite.com/home/home.asp

Now, will ITIL certifications help you get a job in IT management? Maybe. Many companies look for at least foundational knowledge of ITIL, but all a foundation certificate really teaches you is terms and definitions and a tiny bit of information from the best practices, which isn't necessarily what you need to know to be a manager in any random IT organization. I would be willing to say that ITIL certifications will get a second look for many jobs (not necessarily managerial), but whether or not you get the job is determined by many other factors...

IMO, if someone wants to be a manager in an IT organization, here's what will most likely help you:
      Having previously been a manager in an IT organization
      Having good connections that can alert you to opportunities and vouch for your capabilities
      Having an undergraduate degree
      Having a graduate degree

Notice certifications didn't make my list...

MS

Awesome thanks for the input, like i said i dont know really much about that certification which is why i was hoping someone like you would chime in.

However i am a bit confused here with your statements.

ITIL itself has nothing to do with anyone specifically seeking a job as a manager in an IT organization. ITIL is a set of best practices for the management (think delivery) of IT as services. The ITIL best practices, nor the certification scheme itself are in no way an "IT management certification standard".

I am just confused cause your first sentence says it has nothing to do with any anyone in IT management, but then the second sentence says its a set of best practices for management of IT services? then your third statement reiterates the first statement? Sorry not trying to nit pick your post, but i dont know anything about ITIL and what you wrote was a bit confusing to me.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    chrisone wrote: »
    I am just confused cause your first sentence says it has nothing to do with any anyone in IT management, but then the second sentence says its a set of best practices for management of IT services? then your third statement reiterates the first statement? Sorry not trying to nit pick your post, but i dont know anything about ITIL and what you wrote was a bit confusing to me.

No worries, I don't take it as nit picking.

It's a common point of confusion actually. "Management" is meant in the form of an organization controlling and delivering IT in the form of services, not specifically people doing leadership and supervisory activities in an organization.

The same way "Project Management Professional" uses the word "management" to mean control and delivery of projects, and not necessarily supervision and leadership of people.

Neither of these are restricted to someone that manages or leads a group in an organization, nor would they necessarily qualify you for such a position, which is what the OP is interested in becoming. Not to muddy the waters, but in fairness, many aspects of leadership, supervision and communication are discussed in the ITIL best practices, but ITIL is in no way an "IT management certification standard", as you described it.

ITIL is a set of best practices for IT Service Management, or the management of IT in the form of services. Subtle distinction, but ITIL best practices have nothing to do with showing people how to become managers or certifying them to be managers in an organization. Nor is ITIL a standard in any way, shape or form.

If I were looking for something that specifically focused on people management, I would probably look to People CMM:

http://www.sei.cmu.edu/cmmi/tools/peoplecmm/

However, I don't know of any certification at the moment that an individual can achieve for knowledge of PCMM.

MS
  • Options
    SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    You seem to be demanding too much for your limited qualifications.

If I'm a hiring manager looking for an IT Project Manager in this economy...what would I see on your resume that would make me want you?

You don't have a 4-year degree or a PMP but yet want a job that others with both a 4-year degree AND a PMP will be going after.

You're going to have to do something if you want to get yourself noticed. My recommendation would be to go back to school and get your bachelors and then your PMP.
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • Options
    Jrsysadmin, that is probably the best advice I have gotten because that is the reality of the matter. I Cant compete with candidates with a BA and PMP. I dont believe going back to school in my current situation is possible at the moment. But I might have to just work my way up to management by taking a lower level position in company with career growth opportunities. I dont think anybody wants to take on a much lower salary or job title... But in this job economy, I might just have to do that..