Options

Using gpupdate /force command, server 2008

z0nkz0nk Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Im following the trainsignal videos for 70-640. Particularly using gpo to install software on clients.

The guy says you have to run gpupdate /force on the server to push out gpo changes to all the clients. I did that and got no changes on my xp client..after a while I finally got the gpo working by doing the gpupdate command on the client itself.

Im a bit confused. So is he wrong? can you not push group policy to clients? do I have to run gpupdate /force on every client ?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    He is wrong. They have some errors listed somewhere on their website for their videos.

Gpupdate /force only makes that client itself ask the DC for a policy update, it doesn't push anything to anybody.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Also sometimes a reboot instead of logging off is neeeded from what I have seen to have certain policies take effect. For instance when we have a laptop that has been off network for awhile (I work at a college where staff take laptops home) and they bring it in I do a gpupdate /force. The thing I have seen though is the SCCM client will not install until after a reboot on the computer logging off will not work no matter how long I wait. Even trying to push the client from SCCM itself to the computer doesn't work till reboot. So I always reboot just to make sure.
  • Options
    Also sometimes a reboot instead of logging off is neeeded from what I have seen to have certain policies take effect. For instance when we have a laptop that has been off network for awhile (I work at a college where staff take laptops home) and they bring it in I do a gpupdate /force. The thing I have seen though is the SCCM client will not install until after a reboot on the computer logging off will not work no matter how long I wait. Even trying to push the client from SCCM itself to the computer doesn't work till reboot. So I always reboot just to make sure.

Correct. Some apply immediately, some at logoff/logon, and some at restart.

A reboot is always safest when testing to make sure something really applies.
  • Options
    z0nkz0nk Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So there isnt a command to push out gpupdate to all clients from the server?
  • Options
    z0nk wrote: »
    So there isnt a command to push out gpupdate to all clients from the server?

None that im aware of.

Between logon/logoff, restarts, and the GPO defined times for GPO refreshes you are generally OK.

If you need quicker policy refreshes you can change the group policy rules to reflect that, at the expense of network bandwidth.