Options

WDS - using discover images

We use WDS at work fairly successfully and have various images for different pc configurations. Most pc's are fine with the pxe boot.

Some pc's will not boot via pxe as they are older pc's so I've tried to create a discover image CD from a technet article.

I've made a discover image from the boot.wim file on the server 2008 DVD.
I've then created the CD via an ISO file created with the WAIK program.

The CD will boot to a windows PE command line but the WDS server is not contacted in order to get the image list. (WDS server name was specified in the setup routine).

Any ideas where I've gone wrong? - can't find much info on discover images on the web icon_sad.gif

Comments

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I cant remember if WDS generates a discover ISO or WIM, its been awhile

If it creates an ISO, just burn that to CD and use that.

If it creates a WIM, make a winPE disc, but before you make it an iso take the Discover.wim file and put it in the place of boot.wim in the winPE files (and rename it to boot.wim).
  • Options
    BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
    You need to use the oscdimg command to burn that file to disc which you can then use to boot the PC.

Tim's last thread has a good step by step to burn the discover image: (ignore the title as Tim covers 2008 & Vista)

Windows Deployment Services in SBS 2003

So if you followed those steps, you should be fine.

Also have you in your WDS allowed any pc to register with the WDS? Your not prestaging them are you so it only allows specific computers to register with WDS? I would allow any computer to register with WDS so that it ensures that is not blocking it.
    EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete
  • Options
    BradH wrote: »
    You need to use the oscdimg command to burn that file to disc which you can then use to boot the PC.

OSCDIMG creates an .ISO. I dont think it will actually burn an ISO to a disc.
  • Options
    BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
    Apologies, brain was thinking one thing and hands typed something else!

Yes it does create the .iso. I use imgburn...works a treat and is free for .iso burns.
    EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete
  • Options
    neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    BradH wrote: »

QUOTE]

I have made the bootable CD successfully from the ISO.

What I'm trying to say is that PC just boots from CD to a windows PE command prompt - it does not log onto the WDS server to display the available pc images.

Are there any command that I can type in to access the server?
    Can't see where I'm going wrong at present.....
  • Options
    Like I said, you need to replace the boot.wim that the WAIK walkthrough creates and put the discover.wim in its place that WDS makes. Then rename it to boot.wim. THEN create the ISO with oscdimg.