Passed CCNA today!!

notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
Hello guys!!

Whew!! I just passed my CCNA exam about an hour ago. I can't believe it. It's like a burden off my chest....the door is now open to obtain other certs....

I'd say the test was pretty fair, a tad harder than I thought, I got smacked with a simulation I think on the 2nd question? LOL...

Without going into details, the questions were all over the place so yes you do need to make sure you know the topics fairly well...

I really wasn't sure I was going to pass....I ended up using practically the entire 90 minutes.....I think I had about 5 minutes left!!

Comments

• mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    Hello guys!!

Whew!! I just passed my CCNA exam about an hour ago. I can't believe it. It's like a burden off my chest....the door is now open to obtain other certs....

I'd say the test was pretty fair, a tad harder than I thought, I got smacked with a simulation I think on the 2nd question? LOL...

Without going into details, the questions were all over the place so yes you do need to make sure you know the topics fairly well...

I really wasn't sure I was going to pass....I ended up using practically the entire 90 minutes.....I think I had about 5 minutes left!!
    Nice one. Congratulations.

Now you have the real hard task, decide whats next:)
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    I already decided that SWITCH is going to be my next route, then ROUTING and then TS.

I started daydreaming about SWITCH already and I had to stop because I was leading the cart before the horse. :D

If I didn't pass, I would have been devastated! And I'd have to refocus back on CCNA material and I am 99% close to burning out so it was a scary place for me to be in the last couple of days.

As well as the costs of the test!
  • DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratz, after reading a lot of your posts its nice to see that you were able to kick it! icon_wink.gif
    Congratz, after reading a lot of your posts its nice to see that you were able to kick it! icon_wink.gif

Thank you. I kinda put unneeded pressure on myself by having the name "notgoing2fail"....icon_rolleyes.gif
  • blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    I would think about the CCNA:Security before the CCNP.

It will also give you a starter on the CCNP, as parts overlap.

Congrats.
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    Nice work. Congrats!
    Lab first, ask questions later
    blackninja wrote: »
    I would think about the CCNA:Security before the CCNP.

It will also give you a starter on the CCNP, as parts overlap.

Congrats.

Thanks, is the CCNA:S mainly theory or do I need to purchase equipment for it? Can I just use my current CCNA lab?

Does the CCNA:S overlap with the CCNP Switch or another CCNP track like Routing or TS....errr...or all the above!
    Thanks, is the CCNA:S mainly theory or do I need to purchase equipment for it? Can I just use my current CCNA lab?

Does the CCNA:S overlap with the CCNP Switch or another CCNP track like Routing or TS....errr...or all the above!

Mostly the Switch track.

If you have a 2950 and a couple of routers that can use the "crypto" command you are in business. If not, you'll need ADVSECURITY ios.

Checkout: for a very good but cheap study guide
    Currently studying:

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • tazdeviltazdevil Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass..
    ICND1 - Passed March 19/2010
    ICND2 - Passed April 8/2010
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

Go Celebrate drunken_smilie.gif (but no driving).

The CCNA:Security is a good idea while you wait for the Cisco Press SWITCH and ROUTE Foundation books to be published.

You need 12.4(9)T or 12.4(11)T (or higher) Security Feature Set (or higher) for the zone firewalls in the CCNA:Security. In a pinch, you may get by with 12.4(6)T which is where Zone Firewalls first showed up in IOS.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    Thanks again everyone!
    Mostly the Switch track.

If you have a 2950 and a couple of routers that can use the "crypto" command you are in business. If not, you'll need ADVSECURITY ios.

Checkout: for a very good but cheap study guide

I'm getting a 2950 later this week that I bought of eBay. But I think my 2960 should have this feature? I'll have to take a look...I'm not sure what kind of IOS it has....

As for the Bryant Advantage, his deal ends tonite at midnite!!

Can you vouch for this? I mean I see you're linking it to me, but is it really that good for someone like me starting fresh?

mikej412,

I'll see if my 1811W has the latest IOS or if I can find the latest for it. That's the newest router that I have. I do have some 3550's on the way, but I'm not entirely sure what's the latest IOS on them...
    Thanks again everyone!

I'm getting a 2950 later this week that I bought of eBay. But I think my 2960 should have this feature? I'll have to take a look...I'm not sure what kind of IOS it has....

As for the Bryant Advantage, his deal ends tonite at midnite!!

Can you vouch for this? I mean I see you're linking it to me, but is it really that good for someone like me starting fresh?

2960s & 1811s - Boy you have too much money ;)

2960 is more than OK

As for the Bryant Advantage package: It always says midnight, don't worry it'll be $20 tomorrow.

I can certainly vouch for this. I used him for my CCNA and I'm using him for my CCNA:S too. Plus you can email him.

I would still get the Cisco book to fill in the blanks though.
    Currently studying:

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
    2960s & 1811s - Boy you have too much money ;)

After this weekend not anymore!!!
    2960 is more than OK

As for the Bryant Advantage package: It always says midnight, don't worry it'll be $20 tomorrow.

I can certainly vouch for this. I used him for my CCNA and I'm using him for my CCNA:S too. Plus you can email him.

I would still get the Cisco book to fill in the blanks though.

Ok, hopefully I have the latest IOS on the 2960. That's pretty funny about the BA, I guess it works on a lot of people!! I was just ready to buy it.

But for $20, what the heck I probably will. Do you hang out on his forum there too? And does he really respond back?
  • CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    Having just passed CCNA and Security I would recommend going straight into the CCNP Switch, unless your current job involves security. Much of the CCNA Security switching topics can be found in CCNP SWITCH but you don't need all the filler stuff on RSA, certificates, etc, etc. I would have moved right into CCNP had the books already been out at the time. May be better to wait until more SWITCH material is out but I bet you would do ok with the stuff that is out now.

Oh ya... .CONGRATS!!! Very GJ passing on your 1st shot!
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
    CiskHo wrote: »
    Having just passed CCNA and Security I would recommend going straight into the CCNP Switch, unless your current job involves security. Much of the CCNA Security switching topics can be found in CCNP SWITCH but you don't need all the filler stuff on RSA, certificates, etc, etc. I would have moved right into CCNP had the books already been out at the time. May be better to wait until more SWITCH material is out but I bet you would do ok with the stuff that is out now.

Oh ya... .CONGRATS!!! Very GJ passing on your 1st shot!

How long did it take you to get your CCNA Security? 1 month? 2 months? more??

I might be willing to go for the CCNA:S if it can be had in a short time, then push for CCNP hard right after. But if it takes half a year, I think I'll just jump right into CCNP....
    How long did it take you to get your CCNA Security? 1 month? 2 months? more??

I might be willing to go for the CCNA:S if it can be had in a short time, then push for CCNP hard right after. But if it takes half a year, I think I'll just jump right into CCNP....
    It took me about 6 weeks in total. I put some hours in though!
    Much of the CCNA Security switching topics can be found in CCNP SWITCH but you don't need all the filler stuff on RSA, certificates, etc, etc.
    Don't fully agree with the "filler" comment. There's loads of useful stuff in the CCNA:S that everyone should know that I haven't seen covered yet in the new CCNP material. Things like Cryptography basics, IPS, CBAC, ZBFW etc.

Took me about 3-5 weeks I think. Looking back its all a blurrr.... LOL, I was a man on a mission with that exam. It really comes down to how fast you can read the material and how much of it you can retain. I have heard the Security exam was the easiest of the 3 CCNA concentrations but I think that depends on the person and how much exposure they have to those topics. FWIW, I had zero exposure to ANY of it except for the switch security stuff from the good ol' CCNA. Prior to and during my CCNA studies I was just a Net+ guy who did rack and stacks and cabling in Cisco labs.
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

mikem2te wrote: »
    Don't fully agree with the "filler" comment. There's loads of useful stuff in the CCNA:S that everyone should know that I haven't seen covered yet in the new CCNP material. Things like Cryptography basics, IPS, CBAC, ZBFW etc.
    My point was that ALL of that is filler when it comes to the SWITCH topics and I stand by that statement. Sure, in general, its all good info, stuff that every networking guy/gal should know about but when it comes to the exams/certs its worthless in regards to SWITCH.
    My Lab Gear:

Hmmm thanks guys...

Well, I started my CCNA studies 4 weeks ago. If I didn't pass, this would have been week 5. And a depressing week 5. LOL....

And it was MAJOR intense studying. I'm gonna have to take a couple days off, maybe play my PS3 or something to just relax and have a beer...

But I'm thinking, the CCNA:S sounds a little intriguing now.

I ordered the CCNP libary just now, but there's also the foundation one that admin Mike spoke about that's coming out later.

I think I can time it just right. I can put the CCNP on hold till those foundation books come out. (in a about 2 months)

Jump on the CCNA:S this week, and give it 4-5 weeks(like CiskHo) of intense studying just like I did for the CCNA.

I'm hoping that since the topic is concentrated on security, it might be a little easier to focus than compared to CCNA which had a wide range of topics....

Thoughts?
    I'm hoping that since the topic is concentrated on security, it might be a little easier to focus than compared to CCNA which had a wide range of topics....

Thoughts?
    I found the topics to still be pretty broad. You have normal login type security, switchport security, firewalls, certificates, it goes on and on. Pretty wide range of stuff in my opinion. Sure its all security related but I don't see many similarities when comparing switchport security methods and firewalls or certificates. If you know anyone who owns the security book give a quick peek and see what you think. I felt it was all easy enough except for maybe 2 chapters which I had to read like 3 times each (and still felt a little overwhelmed by them).
    My Lab Gear:

I found the topics to still be pretty broad. You have normal login type security, switchport security, firewalls, certificates, it goes on and on. Pretty wide range of stuff in my opinion. Sure its all security related but I don't see many similarities when comparing switchport security methods and firewalls or certificates. If you know anyone who owns the security book give a quick peek and see what you think. I felt it was all easy enough except for maybe 2 chapters which I had to read like 3 times each (and still felt a little overwhelmed by them).

Thanks, good to know. I'll do a little due diligence and find out what books are out there.....

Did they talk about PIX515 at all?
    I have heard the Security exam was the easiest of the 3 CCNA concentrations but I think that depends on the person and how much exposure they have to those topics
    Yeah, having looked at all three security is probably the easiest. Voice is probably the hardest as there are loads of new foreign concepts to grasp.

Personally I found CCNA:S a bit of a drag, I think I was suffering burn out.

mikem2te wrote: »
    Yeah, having looked at all three security is probably the easiest. Voice is probably the hardest as there are loads of new foreign concepts to grasp.

Personally I found CCNA:S a bit of a drag, I think I was suffering burn out.

We must all figure this out as I have dealt with burn out in the past....

I don't want to be there again.....
    Oh BTW,

Is there any chance the CCNA voice/security or wireless will be retired anytime soon with a new set of certifications?
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First of all well done on the CCNA!! good job.
    Much of the CCNA Security switching topics can be found in CCNP SWITCH !

They can indeed, however, the layer 2 switching security is only a small part of the security certification

I passed the security back in Jan, and am about to go for the SWITCH, the only common ground is some basic port based security covered in both. Aside from that they are completely different.

SWITCH has very little if any layer 3 security, where as the majority of CCNA Security is based around this. IT covers firewalls and VPN's so if you need to know about them its a nice place to start with out getting to heavy.

I interested to see what the SWITCH exams is like. I still need to get a few commands clear in my head but apart from that hoping I ready.

some things like SSO, NSF you need supervise driven switches to set up, so not really able to practice them icon_sad.gif
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Oh BTW,

Is there any chance the CCNA voice/security or wireless will be retired anytime soon with a new set of certifications?

There not to old, so I think they will stay around for a few years yet. You also need them to do the CCSP, CCVP and CCDP so nope I think its safe to go for them and they will remind valid.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    After this weekend not anymore!!!

Ok, hopefully I have the latest IOS on the 2960. That's pretty funny about the BA, I guess it works on a lot of people!! I was just ready to buy it.

But for $20, what the heck I probably will. Do you hang out on his forum there too? And does he really respond back?

That date thing on BA, makes him sound like one of those infomercials, that are a waste of money.

I used to post on his forum, but not now (limited time) - I only post here & the network academy page on Facebook now.

Chris really does respond to your emails.
    Currently studying:

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)