Options

70-270 vs MCDST for "newbie"

ALfromSTLALfromSTL Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
As some of you know, I have recently earned A+ and Security+ certification. I currently also have a BS in MIS.

The problem I am running into (to beat a dead horse) is that everyone, even help desks, are expecting 2-3 years solid experience.

I have done tech support duties, but not as an official job title, since graduation.

I am noticing a lot of MCP as a requirement along with A+, Net+ etc.

My question is, do I take the 70-270 and say that I am working on MCSE or get MCDST and call it a day until I get hired?

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    First I have to say change that dang avatar... You look like a dork! icon_wink.gif Seriously, I love that show.

If you are truely looking for an entry level position start witht he MCDST. Then consider updating it to EDST 7. I would not normally suggest an MCDST at this late of a juncture, but if you are stuck on getting an MCP, that would be a quick and easy one to get. From there I would not bother with the MCSE. Go for the MCITP: SA. It's just very late in the game to start studying for the 7 tests you will need to complete the MCSE.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    If you are looking for a helpdesk/desktop support spot and you are unfamiliar with XP/Office and the concepts of supporting them, the MCDST is probably what you want.

If you are looking to see XP from a much higher level...that is the enterprise "behind the scenes" infrastructure type stuff, then go for the 270.

It depends on what you need now, versus what you are looking to do in the future.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Might I suggest going to a recruiter in the area? Maybe call them up or send your resume over to them telling them you are interested in help desk level work. I've been watching jobs in the area and I haven't seen very many postings. Just be persistent and keep trying that's the best you can do my friend! I've seen a lot at Scottrade.. I don't know if you saw those listings.
  • Options
    ALfromSTLALfromSTL Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    All hail Moss :D

When you say "late in the game, what do you mean?"

I figured I would get the MCDST for resume purposes. After the A+ and seeing some practice questions, it should not take long to study for (hopefully).

I was thinking MCSE for long term, meaning take 70-270 now to put MCP on resume to get it past HR, then take the rest of the tests in due time.

I realize a BS plus MCSE or even MCSA is overkill for a tech support position, but I don't seem to be having any luck with what I have now.

Plus, in this economy, is anything really overkill anymore? I recently saw a help desk position with "Bachelors needed, Masters preferred" /rant off

@hyper, MCDST would simply be for HR purposes

@xmala, been there done that, not enough experience
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    It depends on what you need now, versus what you are looking to do in the future.

Important point!
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    ALfromSTL wrote: »

I think he is referring to the fact that it is late in the game for the MCSE.

The new cert line for Microsoft Server products in the MCITP (Microsoft IT Professional). It has the MCITP:SA (Server Admin) and MCITP:EA (Enterprise Admin). These are for Server 2008 products.

Microsoft Learning: Go Further with Microsoft Certification

Do you have a lot of experience with Server 2003? Does the company you work for currently use 2003 or 2008? Do they plan on migrating to 2008 in the near future if they are on 2003?

If you have no server experience and want to get in the system admin realm, I would recommend going doing the Server 2008 MCITP track. It will offer you more opportunity in the future.

Not saying Server 2003 is just going to disappear over night, but as Hyper said...
    Hyper-me wrote:
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    ALfromSTL wrote: »
    All hail Moss :D

I figured I would get the MCDST for resume purposes. After the A+ and seeing some practice questions, it should not take long to study for (hopefully).

Meaning, while XP is still strong, it will be replaced by 7 and soon. But if you are seeing lots of positions asking for MCP, that's a good place to start. Keep in mind that the exams for MCSE will eventually retire so you had better get on that!
  • Options
    Personally I think its way to late to start on the MCSE unless

1. You can learn things at an exponential rate

and/or

2. You have signifigant experience with 2003 systems.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Don't underestimate the difficulty of the 70-270 exam. Even if you've been "using" XP for years, the difficulty of the exam is above the 70-271 and 70-272 exams. Take advantage of MS's Second Shot program while it is still going on so you can get a feel for the test.
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Don't underestimate the difficulty of the 70-270 exam. Even if you've been "using" XP for years, the difficulty of the exam is above the 70-271 and 70-272 exams. Take advantage of MS's Second Shot program while it is still going on so you can get a feel for the test.

70-270 was my first MS test ever. I skimmed the MS Press book for it and went to take it. I felt like I failed but ended up getting like an 886. I was really mad at myself cause I felt like I should have been in the mid 900s easy....then I found this site a while later and realized how difficult the test really was. icon_lol.gif