SWITCH, Voice solution

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
PArt of the SWITCH blue prints are

implement a video support solution,

However no books or course material seems to go in to this much?

what would people think this means and things to know about? I know about the various types of video traffic, high bandwidth, one to many, many to many, many to one, video conferencing, video streaming, etc, etc.

But what would you say are the main topics on this to know?
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    Initial thoughts would be basic qos but could they sneak in some multicast?
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mikem2te wrote: »
    Initial thoughts would be basic qos but could they sneak in some multicast?

The multicast is what I am worried about...

and jsut noticed I put voice not video in title.. lol
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    From a switching perspective with video my guess would be separating the traffic from normal data traffic i.e vlan's as well as mechanisms for layer 2 switches to recognize multicast traffic such as igmp snooping or cgmp.

However, with routed ports on layer 3 switches I guess they could really ask anything about multicast. That being said, multicast isn't really too bad. In fact, after the initial WTF, I really enjoyed learning it.

I haven't read Developing IP multicast Networks (not on Safari books online) which is usually the recommended text for really learning multicast, but I did read Interdomain Multicast Routing in about two days and learned a lot. Several of the chapters you can skip over.

Also there are some pretty good cisco online docs regarding multicast that would probably be sufficient for the switch exam.

Obviously these are all just best guesses as I haven't even looked at the SWITCH exam material.
    Ryan82 wrote: »
    Obviously these are all just best guesses as I haven't even looked at the SWITCH exam material.

As far a s the exam guide, quick refrence sheets and a few other sources there is nothing on video at all, apart from that fact it is high band with bursty traffic.

yet it gets a whole point to its self on the blueprint!

Cheers for the ideas though guys, I think I will read though multicasting, but havent really got time to learn it in detail now. Still the rest all seems ok, jsut need to tidy up a few bits in my head tonight.
  • CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    :) I'm guessing you have seen my previous posts about prioritizing traffic... mainly in regards to video. You are right, not much in the CCNP books about it. I have been told that studying the DiffServ/DSCP stuff in the BCMSN book would be a good idea. Personally I would focus less on multicasting and more on the QoS/priority order for the different traffic types/classes. The SWITCH Quick Ref Guide goes over this a LITTLE bit. I haven't checked my BCMSN book yet so not sure how helpful that would be.
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
    CiskHo wrote: »
    :) I'm guessing you have seen my previous posts about prioritizing traffic... mainly in regards to video. You are right, not much in the CCNP books about it. I have been told that studying the DiffServ/DSCP stuff in the BCMSN book would be a good idea. Personally I would focus less on multicasting and more on the QoS/priority order for the different traffic types/classes. The SWITCH Quick Ref Guide goes over this a LITTLE bit. I haven't checked my BCMSN book yet so not sure how helpful that would be.

Yer I have kind of decided to forget the multicast stuff as I can't see any mention of it any where. So just focusing on the QOS stuff. I think that's OK, I hvent looked much at setting up the ques (actual traffic shaping) but the classification is ok)

So far I have read the

certification guide
    quick refrence guide
    Certflash cards on line
    cbt nuggets BCMSN
    and some the the Trainsignals BCMSN

Plus a lot of playing around with trunks, stp, security layer 3 ether channels and every thing really apart from VoIP, Wireless and supervisor redundancy

And my tip of the day to remember the ether channel settings for the two protocols

LAGP = active passive = LAP
    PaGP = auto desirable = PAD

Them two where getting on my nerve, for some reason I could not get them straight in my head. Doubt i will even need to know it but ;)

Now 50 questions in 2 hours?? should be fun :)
  • CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    Now 50 questions in 2 hours?? should be fun :)
    LMFAO!!!! 50 questions.... riiiight. False advertisement in my eyes!
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT