Who has picked up an IPad ?

EmpoweredBizTechEmpoweredBizTech Member Posts: 110
Hey gang I was just wondering who has picked up an Ipad and what your thoughts are. I was not planning on picking one up this weekend that was until I went to "check it out" and actually picked up one. I couldn't help it and got one. This fills the gap my Kindle simple couldn't do which was namely Tech books. THis is great for that the kindle app is better I think then Ibooks and I love how all the links in the books are now live and I can get right to the website right then and there with no muss no fuss or hope I remember later. Love it so far but then again it's only been 2 days. What does everyone else think ?

Comments

• cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    A guy that I work with sold his Kindle 2 and bought one on preorder. He had it in the office today and I got to test drive it. The Kindle and iBookStore apps are great. It was easier on the eyes than I thought it would be. It is also fast in everything I did on it. I think I am going to sell off my Kindle DX and get one this week. My local Apple dealer has one on hold for me to pick up later this week :) I just wanted to test drive one first.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Waiting on the HP Slate running Windows 7.

Id also like to see MS actually make the Courier.

Im a bit peeved at the fact that the Ipad apps cost so much and for no real reason other than its Apple. They make some cool hardware but im disgusted at their terribly locked out OS' and routine feature fail. (No flash, Not even 720 screen, no USB ports, etc)
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »

Im a bit peeved at the fact that the Ipad apps cost so much and for no real reason other than its Apple. They make some cool hardware but im disgusted at their terribly locked out OS' and routine feature fail. (No flash, Not even 720 screen, no USB ports, etc)

Agreed. I too, will also wait for the Slate. icon_thumright.gif
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My only gripe is that I wouldn't be able to use my Safari Books account with it. No Flash support icon_sad.gif
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    I had hoped for a little more out of the Slate. Mainly...they should have put 2 GB ram in it, but 1GB might suffice if they've streamlined the OS a bit and shut off unneccesary service and stuff.

If they didnt, I'll likely use my mad deployment skillz and make a streamlined image for it, if I get one.

2010-04-05slatespecs.jpg
  • cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    I'll wait for the 2nd generation for both. 1st generations always bothers me because they don't have all the kinks worked out.
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    I don't have one, but I know it will blend!

YouTube - Will It Blend? - iPad
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I will be waiting for either the slate or a more powerful netbook.

Have you tried the mobile address? m.safaribooksonline.com. It is meant for mobile devices but may work with the Ipad.
    My only gripe is that I wouldn't be able to use my Safari Books account with it. No Flash support icon_sad.gif
  • EmpoweredBizTechEmpoweredBizTech Member Posts: 110
    I to would like my safari books online account to work. In fact I will probably cancel it unless they release an app. I would think with the Ipad and there target market it should be a no brainer. I am looking forward to see the slate from android and some of the more open source os's I think once those are out I will eventually swap out my Ipad for one of those and pass this one down to the Misses
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360

Same, I don't care for apple products either.

I wish I could find out of Google is still coming out with a tablet.
    CCNP :study:
  • -Foxer--Foxer- Member Posts: 151
    I've been thinking of picking one up for ebooks(among other things). Where do you guys get your ebook's for all these certifications? Are you actually buying them, or just finding them online? I'm curious because I've thought about buying the actual books, then getting an ebook version to carry around.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I did!

(not for me personally long-term, but I have it for the week and then whenever once the team each has a turn with it!!)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    -Foxer- wrote: »
    I've been thinking of picking one up for ebooks(among other things). Where do you guys get your ebook's for all these certifications? Are you actually buying them, or just finding them online? I'm curious because I've thought about buying the actual books, then getting an ebook version to carry around.

Every IT book I have bought in the last year has come with a PDF version. I would LOVE to have a reader for them, but the cost is out of the question right now with college.
    Every IT book I have bought in the last year has come with a PDF version. I would LOVE to have a reader for them, but the cost is out of the question right now with college.

Man, they give you 6 months after you graduate before you start paying them back. icon_lol.gif
    Man, they give you 6 months after you graduate before you start paying them back. icon_lol.gif

If your taking out a loan, sure... icon_wink.gif This semester I am paying out of pocket though. Starting next semester hopefully my company will be paying for it.
  • helioshelios Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    fly351 wrote: »

I wish I could find out of Google is still coming out with a tablet.

Check out the Dell Mini 5... it runs Android and it's on my list!
    A+, Network+, MCP, MSDST, MCITP:SA, HDI-SCA, MCTS, ITILv3
    If your taking out a loan, sure... icon_wink.gif This semester I am paying out of pocket though. Starting next semester hopefully my company will be paying for it.

I'm paying off my old student loans while im in WGU.

My thought was that im currently accrueing interest on the existing loans while the new ones are at a way lower rate. So once I pay off the old ones itll be about time for me to graduate and start paying those off. icon_sad.gif
  • -Foxer--Foxer- Member Posts: 151

Hey, you're right! I never even looked on the CD, but all the MS Press books have them. It sure would be nice to get one and just carry one thing around and have all my books available.
  • carboncopycarboncopy Member Posts: 259
    I purchased one for myself 64GB and one for my GF 32GB today. Played with it for a bit at home and I am happy with it.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think I'll skip it because of Apple's policies, though technically it's fine. Right now I'm trying to get PDFs working on my Cowon V5 ( JetAudio ). A wee bit smaller than any of the Pads but cheaper, and it's a fantastic media player. For some bizarre reason Cowon have never built PDF support into their players but this one does run flash, meant for games, I've been playing with PDF-Flash converters with mixed results. The best seems to be SWFTools but it is very picky about the PDFs it will convert, odd sized pages screw it up bigtime. Anyone got any other suggestions?
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Cant see the appeal of them myself (dont like the apple locked down policy either but thats a different argument) but have been interested to see the problems being reported already with wifi. Apples repsonse :- oh its the router not our product, but here's a fix anyways! lol

And with another better model due inside 6 months why would anyone buy this!? aside from the "must have it now brigade".....
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    when did they announce another model to be released in 6 months? I know they annouced iphone os 4.0.

I'm considering one of these. I don't really need a full size laptop. I could get a netbook for $300-$400, so i'm not saving much money if i get one that has reasonable battery life (my MSI wind was good for *maybe* two hours with wifi). Also, the ipad is really fast. My msi wind with XP ran like crap in general so i can't imagine one with windows 7 running much better. Plus, once its jailbroken there's no telling what the possibilities will be.

whats the book selection like on this (and the kindle) - are there a lot of tech books or am i going to have to use PDFs icon_sad.gif
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Waiting for the Slate as well, the ipad is a big letdown IMO.