RIP updates

daveccnadaveccna Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
I had a set of 4 routers arranged in a ring, each router linked by serial connections with 2 others. This was set in packet tracer. I also added a couple of switches etc.

Each individual link was fine and I implemented RIP2 on all 4 routers. The last of the 4 routers never updated its routing tables though and never got a single network in its table from RIP in spite of being directly connected to two other routers that were verifiably sending out RIP updates on the interfaces facing the 4th router.

Another oddity was that the debug on the first router was showing one network 16 hops away.

PS what is the unit that the time between rip updates is expressed in?
Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.
-Sun Tzu-

Comments

• notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    daveccna wrote: »
    I had a set of 4 routers arranged in a ring, each router linked by serial connections with 2 others. This was set in packet tracer. I also added a couple of switches etc.

Each individual link was fine and I implemented RIP2 on all 4 routers. The last of the 4 routers never updated its routing tables though and never got a single network in its table from RIP in spite of being directly connected to two other routers that were verifiably sending out RIP updates on the interfaces facing the 4th router.

Another oddity was that the debug on the first router was showing one network 16 hops away.

PS what is the unit that the time between rip updates is expressed in?

What is the unit? Well RIP updates every 30 seconds full routing table, is that what you mean?
  • Dilbert65Dilbert65 Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    post your ip for each interface and rip config fo reach router. 16 hops means unreachable, basically
  • daveccnadaveccna Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Serial interfaces 0/0 and 0/1 on each router

Router 1
    s0/0 10.0.0.1/8
    s0/1 40.0.0.2/8
    Fa1/0 11.0.0.1/8

Router 2
    s0/0 10.0.0.2/8
    s0/1 20.0.0.1/8

Router 3
    s0/0 20.0.0.2/8
    s0/1 30.0.0.1/8
    Fa1/0 12.0.0.1/8

Router 4
    s0/0 30.0.0.2/8
    s0/1 40.0.0.1/8

router rip
    version 2
    network - all networks added to all routers

All individual links up up and destinations pingable on routers 1-3.
    Router 4 doesn't learn but can function using static routes.
    Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.
    -Sun Tzu-
    What is the unit? Well RIP updates every 30 seconds full routing table, is that what you mean?

hostname(config-router)#timers basic ?
    <0-4294967295> Interval between updates

I mean this.
    -Sun Tzu-
  • mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    daveccna wrote: »
    hostname(config-router)#timers basic ?
    <0-4294967295> Interval between updates

I mean this.
    I'm not going to give you the answer but I'll tell you how to find it outicon_wink.gif

Look at the output of 'show ip protocols', you should find timer info in the output. Now change the timers using the 'timers basic' command then reissue the show command.

Should answer your question.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
    mikem2te wrote: »
    I'm not going to give you the answer but I'll tell you how to find it outicon_wink.gif

Look at the output of 'show ip protocols', you should find timer info in the output. Now change the timers using the 'timers basic' command then reissue the show command.

Should answer your question.

Cheers Mike, incidently i'm going to chalk up the rip oddities to packet tracer as when I put in a new router and set it up as before it converged immediately. icon_cheers.gif
    -Sun Tzu-