Options

Any tips of orgnization and avoiding problems

wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I've been having problems lately. Last week I made 3 avoidable mistakes while working on someone's laptop and the 3 mistakes I made were small by them self but in the end blew up into big things.

I've been working at my job for 6 months and I've had a lot of little problems that aren't always huge but it seems like I'm always getting talked to by my boss and I know the other two people on my team don't have these issues.

I'm tired of having these issues I seriously think I could lose my job over them because many times they are avoidable and I don't want to lose my job over something so stupid. I know I'm good at my job except these little onsie twosie things happen and I try to learn from them but I know there are so many "mistakes" my boss is going to put up.

Mind you these are more job performance and mistakes on my part I can do the core job well and I've narrowed it down I'm just forgetful on things or I jump to one task to quickly and may blank on the previous task when coming back to it to complete it.

Any suggestions on keeping on top of tasks and stuff would be great I really want to change my behavior as I'm frustrated that I keep making such dumb mistakes that doesn't make me look good.

I work as a help desk tech but I also jump between two offices and one day it can be quiet and the next day it could be rapid fire.

Some suggestions I've come up with are the following
*Write more down
*Start using Checklists
*Start a To Do list
*Make more appointments / reminders in Outlook

Thank you for any and all help I want to shine and show my strengths instead of always being talked to about my faults.

Comments

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Slow down. Note previous mistakes both mentally and possibly in a journal. If you have ANY doubt about something being the right choice make sure you double check it before you pull the trigger.

It's always a good practice to double check whatever you are about to do just to make sure you are right. Things change so much and humans are forgetful so its just good practice.
  • Options
    fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    If you don't have one, get a smart phone and download a notepad app like OI Notepad, and you can use OI Safe to encrypt any notes that you take. ;) That way you don't have to keep up with a real notepad.

Are you just forgetting things that you are suppose to do?

Do you guys use a ticket tracking program/DB? If so.. open tickets for yourself of the items that need to be completed.

just my 2cents icon_thumright.gif
    CCNP :study:
  • Options
    jeanathanjeanathan Member Posts: 163
    Slow down.

I couldn't agree more. I used to get nervous working on things because there are so many things to learn in IT that it can blow your head off (always afraid I would miss something).

Over time I slowed down and got less nervous about meeting my own high expectations, then I noticed I actually did far better work and usually surpassed my expectations.

A folder for each client is how I organized things in the past; if you have too many clients organize by tech type like an XP folder, Networking folder, Vista/7 folder, Mac OSX folder, and ect...

An erasable white board is a great way to track long term fixes/projects and deadlines. You have to stop and think and write it down which takes time and helps affix it into your memory.

An audio recorder will let you dictate notes to play back to your self, I know a couple of lawyers who use these.
    Struggling through the re-certification process after 2 years of no OJT for the CCNP.