Options

Basic Exchange 2007 delivery questions

I am labbing Exchange 2007 (which I will eventually migrate to a 2010, but thats irrelevant here).

Lets say the internal domain name is fabrikam.net. I do not own fabrikam.net and therefore cant actually get mail on this domain externally. I do own Contoso.com and have set contoso.com as an accepted, authoritative domain in hub transport. I also added a user (we will call him hyper) that has by default the hyper@fabrikam.net email address as well as I added hyper@contoso.com as one of his emails.

I added MX records for contoso.com that point to my mail server, and I can telnet into the correct port using that external DNS name.

However, when I send an email as a test, it never arrives in my inbox. I get a message a few days later saying the message was undeliverable.

Did I miss something?

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    My guess (and what gets most people)...

I'm assuming you haven't setup an Edge Transport and are instead using the Hub Transport to recieve external emails, in that case you'll need to enable anonymous for incoming SMTP.

You Had Me At EHLO... : Configuring Exchange 2007 Hub Transport role to receive Internet mail
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    astorrs wrote: »
    My guess (and what gets most people)...

I'm assuming you haven't setup an Edge Transport and are instead using the Hub Transport to recieve external emails, in that case you'll need to enable anonymous for incoming SMTP.

You Had Me At EHLO... : Configuring Exchange 2007 Hub Transport role to receive Internet mail

Thanks, I think you are spot on. I told you it was a basic question icon_wink.gif

One of the ways I learn best is by diving into a lab and giving it a decent shot, and then realize that im a total noob which motivates me to figure out what i didnt do right.

On topic, isn't anonymous authentication for incoming SMTP a really really bad idea?
  • Options
    Well I opened the Hub transport to accept anonymous connections but that does'nt appear to have cleared up the issue icon_sad.gif

EDIT: I have to use an SMTP relay service (thanks comcast!) and the MX record hasnt propogated throughout DNS totally yet so some queries are coming back as the old address. I'll give it some time and check again. This is definitely a road block for the time being.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    On topic, isn't anonymous authentication for incoming SMTP a really really bad idea?
    Not if you want email to flow (it's designed around anonymous inbound connections).

Allowing anonymous SMTP relay is different (allowing someone to send outbound email through your mail server). That is something you definitely don't want to allow (note how you have both incoming and outgoing SMTP connectors on the Hub Transport server so you can configure them appropriately).
  • Options
    astorrs wrote: »
    Not if you want email to flow (it's designed around anonymous inbound connections).

Allowing anonymous SMTP relay is different (allowing someone to send outbound email through your mail server). That is something you definitely don't want to allow (note how you have both incoming and outgoing SMTP connectors on the Hub Transport server so you can configure them appropriately).

Relay is what i was thinking of.

I can send email perfectly, just working on the receive end.
  • Options
    Inbound is working now.

Thanks Astorrs!
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Can you give us your details on your Exchange setup?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...