Frame Relay Lab

thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
Okay I am wondering how you can build a frame relay lab with the following equipment I have:

Three 2620xm routers fully max with memory and flash.
One Cisco 851w Router.
One Cisco 3640 Router.
Two 2501 Routers.
All the routers have serial interfaces except the 851w and I do have some add on cards for ethernet and fast ethernet.

If someone could point me in the right direction would be appeciated. Would really like to get this concept down.
CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.

Comments

• billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Do any of the routers have multiple serial interfaces? I would recommend getting an NM-4T off of ebay you can get them pretty cheap. Decide which router you want to make your frame relay switch and install it. That's what I did to build my frame-relay lab. You need one of them to have multiple serial ports. That way each other router can connect directly via serial into the serial interfaces of the frame-relay switch.
  • thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Already have one.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    You really need 3 or more serial ports in a router to make an effective frame relay switch allowing hub and spoke configs. So as billscott says, an NM-4T in the 3640 or an NM-4A/S may be a better choice as that is supported in the 2600xm series as well.

The 2501 may suffice for two spoke routers as they should have build in serial ports, adding a WIC-1T to the a couple of the other 2600xm / 3640 should allow for a nice frame lab
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I agree. If you already have the NM-4T what are you monkeying around for? LOL Just kidding :D. All you gotta do is set that baby up on the router your using for the frame-relay switch, connecting via back-to-back serial cables from the router (acting as switch) to the spoke routers. Then start your configuration. icon_cheers.gif
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The 2501's can be also be "combined" to create a 4 port frame relay switch

Building a Compound Frame Relay Switch | INE

If you have the transceivers for the AUI ports, you can actually tunnel over the Ethernet Interfaces instead of the AUX port -- and add more routers to your compound frame relay switch solution to get a higher density.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    mikej412 wrote: »
    The 2501's can be also be "combined" to create a 4 port frame relay switch

Building a Compound Frame Relay Switch | INE

If you have the transceivers for the AUI ports, you can actually tunnel over the Ethernet Interfaces instead of the AUX port -- and add more routers to your compound frame relay switch solution to get a higher density.

This is why I just love this forum - you learn everytime you log on.
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)